Who will win one, or more, of the three grand tours?

FreddieVonRost
FreddieVonRost Posts: 261
edited July 2020 in Pro race
So, due to CV19, the dates are:

TDF - 29/8 to 20/9,
Giro - 3/10 to 25/10,
Vuelta - 20/10 to 8/11,

Questions:

1. Who do we think will will the TDF?
2. Will Bernal be back in time and on top form?
3. Where does this leave Froome?
4. Will wonder boy Evenepoel compete in and win the Giro?
5. Is there one team strong enough to win more then one tour?
6. Will the late dates massively affect the weather, particularly for the Vuelta?
7. Since Spain is beginning to lock down some parts of the country will the Vuelta even take place?

Not a Giro Hero!

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    edited July 2020
    First, I think you need to reword your thread title. They are the Grand Tours, not classic tours.

1 Froome
    2 Yes & yes
    3 See 1
    4 Yes and no
    5 Possible for TdF & Vuelta
    6 More likely to impact Giro than Vuelta as mountains are further north and higher
    7 who knows
  • Thanks, Dorset Boy,

Edited the title as per your suggestion.

Why Froome and not Bernal?
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    1. Roglic
    2. Yes; Almost
    3. No idea
    4. Yes; No
    5. Yes
    6. Yes
    7. Yes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    1) Froomey! Froomey! Froomey!
    2) Yes
    3) Fuc£ed
    4) Yes, stages I expect, but not GC
    5) It's such a weird year that I think anything could happen / Ineos obviously
    6) It's gonna be cold and wet, no allergy excuses for once
    7) I'm not sure any of it will to be honest
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    I'm thinking the late nature of the races will make the mountains a very different prospect, much cooler in the Vuelta and possibly a better race for it.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    1. Who do we think will will the TDF? - Roglic
    2. Will Bernal be back in time and on top form? - Yes
    3. Where does this leave Froome? - Third in the TDF and planning a holiday to Tel Aviv.
    4. Will wonder boy Evenepoel compete in and win the Giro? - Yes, stage wins but no GC
    5. Is there one team strong enough to win more then one tour? - I'll say no
    6. Will the late dates massively affect the weather, particularly for the Vuelta? - It'll be a very different Vuelta, will be nice seeing Spain more verdant on the TV instead of the scorched brown and yellow it sometimes is.
    7. Since Spain is beginning to lock down some parts of the country will the Vuelta even take place? - Yes although some last minute route diversions will be expected.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    1) Roglic
    2) Yes, Not quite good enough.
    3) In limbo
    4) Yes and no
    5) Theoretically there are 2
    6) The Giro: Mid May and October roughly the same odds of stage cancellations. La Vuelta little or no effect.
    7) Yes, no reason why not if Catalunya can be sorted.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    1) Roglic
    2) Yes, almost but will suffer from having 2 opponents in the same team
    3) Waiting for 2021
    4) Probably and No
    5) Yes: Ineos and Jumbo
    6) Not too much for the Giro, but possibly the Vuelta
    7) Who knows, we might not even see the Tour so a lot of the above might be moot
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2020
    1. Bernal will win the Tour again.
    2. Yes he will, he’ll be too good on the biggest climbs for opponents in his own team and others.
    3. Froome will have to fall in line and plan for his move. I think a respectable top 10 would be an achievement given his crash and this being his first Grand Tour since. He won’t agree though.
    4. Evenepoel will ride the Giro but won’t win it. He will light it up at times though.
    5. Yes, Ineos are (as we know). Jumbo probably are too.
    6. We’ve had interesting weather at the Giro anyway. It was miserable for first week a year or 2 back. We had that controversial Quintana stage and summits taken out too. I think it will be similar. The Vuelta will be business as usual but maybe a bit less humid on some of those long days in the interior.
    7. Each and every race is at risk pretty much up to roll-out unfortunately. Let’s just hope we get some meaningful racing and winners.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,771

6) The Giro: Mid May and October roughly the same odds of stage cancellations. La Vuelta little or no effect.

More mid April for the Giro.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    25/10 is late for the Alps. For example last autumn snow blew through on the 15th October closing all the high cols for a few days - but they could be plowed and cleared pretty quickly. Even early October the descents are chilly needing a cape.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Looking at the media today and the increase in clusters in France, Spain etc I don't think any of the GT's will happen this year or, if they do, they'll be stopped at some point. I could see some one-day races happening but that's it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited July 2020
    nickice said:

Looking at the media today and the increase in clusters in France, Spain etc I don't think any of the GT's will happen this year or, if they do, they'll be stopped at some point. I could see some one-day races happening but that's it.

I think this is called Nick doing a Rick. ;)

Depends.
    Reading the very inflammatory report from the BBC, it does say this:

Public health agency Santé Publique France issued a warning for Mayenne after it passed the alert threshold of 50 new cases per 100,000 inhabitants in a week. Across France as a whole, that figure is about 10 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Those are extremely low thresholds (we should be so lucky) and as we know from Germany's recent R number leap: the R number variation depends on the number of active cases.

Spain seems to have two distinct hot spots which are fuel increases: Catalunya (Barcelona and surrounds being under restrictions) and Aragon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.