Bedding Brakes In

Hi all so I have seen loads of YouTube videos but surprisingly a few different ways of bedding in brakes on a new bike. Does anyone have any good advice or tips. Thanks
So Far!

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    My simple method involves around 10 good hard stops from speed without locking up and release brakes before coming to a full stop. Works fine for me.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695

My simple method involves around 10 good hard stops from speed without locking up and release brakes before coming to a full stop. Works fine for me.

Pretty much this. It's easier to do one brake at a time so that you can shift your weight around to allow harder braking without locking up (more relevant for the rear wheel), and doing it down a hill helps too, because you can brake for a bit longer before coming to a stop.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited July 2020
    I first ride at a walking pace and slam the brakes on to come to a stop. Repeat 10 times. Then do as reaperactual and whyamihere have outlined above.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Thanks all practically everyone the same, sounds like best to do outside LBS prior to hitting trails at Cannock. I have never been to retailer before so I presume there is loads of road to use. Thanks for the advice all just need a bike now.
    So Far!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I've bedded in many brakes in the car park at Cannock Chase. I've just bought a new set for one of my bikes and that's the most likely place I'll do it for those too.
  • loltoride
    Thanks Why I have never been Cannock before so no idea what car park would of been like but I will certainly have a ride of bike before leaving LBS so may as well do then.
    So Far!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Keep pedalling while you brake. It helps to stop locking up and increases the heat build up. Do one brake at a time so that you can concentrate on not locking up and not going OTB. When the front brake is ready, you should be able to stand the bike on its nose, or at very least get the rear wheel off the ground.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Don’t know if it’s just me or doing the same as others have recommended but I’ve found a quick squirt of water on the caliper after a few hard stops also helps.
  • loltoride
    Thanks Ed I see that on you tube I cant remember if it was for cooling caliper or disk.
    So Far!
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    loltoride said:

Thanks Ed I see that on you tube I cant remember if it was for cooling caliper or disk.

I just put a squirt on the callipers where the pads are and found it helps out no end!