Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    RichN95. said:

Dutch anti doping say it's a 'grey area' which is probably more accurate.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they. An NADA is not going to publicly give it's blessing to anything with a vague whiff of controversy.

As for grey areas, they are just an invention of people who want a doping scandal but can't find any doping. Sport is just a contest according some arbitrary rules. Either it's within the rules or it's not.
    Or perhaps they are an area that needs to be brought into the scope of the anti doping regulation to keep to the spirit of drug free sport........
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    I think what surprised me most about the story was UK Sports position saying that if any athlete was caught or taken ill as a result of trying a product that they themselves had been involved in the development of, then it was purely the athletes responsibility.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2020

I think what surprised me most about the story was UK Sports position saying that if any athlete was caught or taken ill as a result of trying a product that they themselves had been involved in the development of, then it was purely the athletes responsibility.

It's just standard lawyer's stuff. You can tell an athlete that the ketones might give them the squits and they'll be fine with it. But a lawyer is going to want that in writing. It shows that the athlete has consented to taking the product.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    david37 said:

RichN95. said:

Dutch anti doping say it's a 'grey area' which is probably more accurate.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they. An NADA is not going to publicly give it's blessing to anything with a vague whiff of controversy.

As for grey areas, they are just an invention of people who want a doping scandal but can't find any doping. Sport is just a contest according some arbitrary rules. Either it's within the rules or it's not.
    Or perhaps they are an area that needs to be brought into the scope of the anti doping regulation to keep to the spirit of drug free sport........
    Not really a drug though is it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Another US athlete who seems to have developed dementia during the lead in year to Tokyo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/53436841
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

Another US athlete who seems to have developed dementia during the lead in year to Tokyo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/53436841

In these cases it would be interesting to see how many tests they didn't miss. Are these three misses out of twenty attempts or three misses out of three?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Roan's moral compass seems on the blink today. He seemed to be suggesting that the Maguire situation is his word against the police as there's no video evidence of the offences. My irony meter went into the red.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020
    Pross said:

Roan's moral compass seems on the blink today. He seemed to be suggesting that the Maguire situation is his word against the police as there's no video evidence of the offences. My irony meter went into the red.

I'm just listening to him interviewing Maguire. It seems he's the most wronged sportsman since Rubin Carter. His only crime is daring to go on holiday as a famous person.

I have no idea if Maguire is guilty or not but Roan's treatment of someone convicted of assaulting police compared to someone getting a package delivered is bizarre.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    "On Wednesday, his legal team lodged an appeal against the verdict. In accordance with Greek law, the appeal nullifies Maguire's conviction and there will be a full retrial in a more senior court."

What could possibly go wrong?
    Should have taken the suspended sentence and been a good boy.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Greek law hits different....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020
    I'm reworking Dylan's classic song Hurricane (one of the greatest songs ever). Here's the first verse:

Vodka shots ring out in the Mykanos night
    Enter Harry Maguire from the upper hall
    He sees the bartender in giving his sister more
    Cries out, "My God, She’s drunk them all!"
    Here comes the story of a captain of the game
    The man the authorities came to blame
    For somethin' that he never done
    Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been
    A qualifier for the Champions League
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Better than expected! :p:#
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The BBC once again playing Maguire's sob story interview on breakfast tv.
    No doubt it will be swallowed by the masses.
    The BBC seem determined to set the narrative, just as they do with everything else these days.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Roan could be cut off by cycling and it wouldn't matter as he only writes negative shit anyway, but if football cut him off he's buggered.

So he bows to the paymasters.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    RichN95. said:

I'm reworking Dylan's classic song Hurricane (one of the greatest songs ever). Here's the first verse:

Vodka shots ring out in the Mykanos night
    Enter Harry Maguire from the upper hall
    He sees the bartender in giving his sister more
    Cries out, "My God, She’s drunk them all!"
    Here comes the story of a captain of the game
    The man the authorities came to blame
    For somethin' that he never done
    Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been
    A qualifier for the Champions League

:smile: Not bad...

Agree with you entirely about Hurricane!
  • david37
    by all accounts, his arrest and trial were legitimate.

The thing that makes me laugh is the suggestion by his defence team that the bribe he offered was a translation issue. I'm loving watching the expensive PR on this.

• Pross
    The part of his story I felt let him down was when he claimed the plain clothes cops threatened to damage his legs and end his career. I'm really struggling to believe that Greek cops would have recognised him, I know he's a well known player but I would walk past him in the street without noticing him unless he was playing the old 'do you know who I am' card.
  • I think that says more about your knowledge of footballers, to be honest. I believe, the captain of Manchester United will be recognisable to Police in a tourist-heavy place like that
  • Pross

I think that says more about your knowledge of footballers, to be honest. I believe, the captain of Manchester United will be recognisable to Police in a tourist-heavy place like that

I'm not convinced, there are loads of players I would recognise but Maguire really isn't one of them despite being so well-known. Having watched his interview this morning I could walk past him now and not recognise him, he just isn't memorable.
  • I think that says more about your knowledge of footballers, to be honest. I believe, the captain of Manchester United will be recognisable to Police in a tourist-heavy place like that

Aren't you assuming that the Police are football fans?
    He doesn't look very distinctive.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Having watched his interview this morning I could walk past him now and not recognise him, he just isn't memorable.

100% agreed.
    Veronese68 wrote:

I assume the Police would know who the captain of Man Utd, Liverpool, Juventus and Barcelona, amonst others, is.

It's not about them being football fans, or him being particularly distinctive looking, it's about an awareness of well-known people
  • pblakeney
    edited August 2020
    I think Harry Maguire was way off the public's register in this country, far less abroad.
    Apart from a record transfer fee and a meaningless armband he is nondescript. In fact, the opposite of well-known.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Well, can't say that this one hasn't been coming.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/54712149
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I think that says more about your knowledge of footballers, to be honest. I believe, the captain of Manchester United will be recognisable to Police in a tourist-heavy place like that

I assume the Police would know who the captain of Man Utd, Liverpool, Juventus and Barcelona, amonst others, is.

It's not about them being football fans, or him being particularly distinctive looking, it's about an awareness of well-known people
    Isn't he the one with the massive meathead?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

Isn't he the one with the massive meathead?
    It's a slab
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Athletics - always a gift. Damn those tests!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55639597
  • amrushton said:

Came here to post that, but since you have, here's another one from less than a week ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55594385

Athletics: picking up cycling's baton.
  • pblakeney
    Athletics. The light that was shone on cycling is now on them.
    Cyclists were not alone in the 90s, or later.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • david37

amrushton said:

Came here to post that, but since you have, here's another one from less than a week ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55594385

Athletics: picking up cycling's baton.
    Crystal Meth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that cant be much of a long term performance enhancer.