Silly commuting racing

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

cjcp said:

Looking forward to a relatively deserted traffic volume in ~20mins, compared to heading in at ~0800 is recent weeks, although we now have a number of popup bus/cycle lanes through Southampton that made things feel less hostile on the later starts.

Some of these pop-up lanes have appeared in central London, but I don't think I'll see any on my route.
    None on my commute, I do use Kingston bridge if I’m going for a towpath/Richmond Park/Wimbledon Gravel up which is not terribly useful to be honest.

I got taken out at the end of the lane on Kingston bridge, car cut across the front of me and hit the brakes as I was coming out the end of the lane at Hampton Wick. That was the first week it was there, claimed he didn't see me. Having driven over the bridge several times it's almost impossible not to see someone in the temporary lane so I suspect it was a case of must get in front.
    I was thinking how nice it was to have a bit of space only moments beforehand.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

cjcp said:

Looking forward to a relatively deserted traffic volume in ~20mins, compared to heading in at ~0800 is recent weeks, although we now have a number of popup bus/cycle lanes through Southampton that made things feel less hostile on the later starts.

Some of these pop-up lanes have appeared in central London, but I don't think I'll see any on my route.
    None on my commute, I do use Kingston bridge if I’m going for a towpath/Richmond Park/Wimbledon Gravel up which is not terribly useful to be honest.

I got taken out at the end of the lane on Kingston bridge, car cut across the front of me and hit the brakes as I was coming out the end of the lane at Hampton Wick. That was the first week it was there, claimed he didn't see me. Having driven over the bridge several times it's almost impossible not to see someone in the temporary lane so I suspect it was a case of must get in front.
    If anything for faster cyclist it maybe more of a hazard, I swear traffic is less friendly than normal on the bridge, plus it’s a pain if you arrive from the towpath.

Didn’t your bike end up damaged? Has that been sorted yet? And I’m assuming that nothing untoward with your self?

• RP laps are possible again - albeit with chicanes, which adds a nice twist (several in fact). Took advantage of the early doors emptiness and good weather to squeeze in a 3LC I wanted to try months ago. Watch showed something around 58-59 minutes (Strava didn’t get all the segments). Nice, steady ride and took it easy round the chicanes. Very civilised.
  • veronese68

cjcp said:

If anything for faster cyclist it maybe more of a hazard, I swear traffic is less friendly than normal on the bridge, plus it’s a pain if you arrive from the towpath.

Didn’t your bike end up damaged? Has that been sorted yet? And I’m assuming that nothing untoward with your self?

The funny thing being as I was on the old bike I'd fixed up I was pootling, too lazy to reach for downtube shifters. Frame was bent but hopefully that will be repaired.
    That was 7 weeks ago and they've just confirmed that I've broken my wrist, that would be why it still hurts like hell. Xray looked ok at the time but apparently it's not unusual for it not to show for a few days, I was carrying on thinking it just takes longer as I'm no spring chicken.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, may have been a hairline break which can be super hard to see on an x ray unless it is taken at exactly the right angle.

Fix up soon.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

cjcp said:

The funny thing being as I was on the old bike I'd fixed up I was pootling, too lazy to reach for downtube shifters. Frame was bent but hopefully that will be repaired.
    That was 7 weeks ago and they've just confirmed that I've broken my wrist, that would be why it still hurts like hell. Xray looked ok at the time but apparently it's not unusual for it not to show for a few days, I was carrying on thinking it just takes longer as I'm no spring chicken.
    Oh dear that's crap, i've managed to break both wrist once so far, one was dead obvious by the black & purple hand etc the other i broke the elbow which also cracked the wrist in the process and i'm sorry to report that still hurts when its wet/damp years later and neither breaks had any surgery or casts. Time & beer heals :/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    Yes, apparently quite common and the wrist is quite busy with lots of small joints so I completely get it. I'm just going to try and milk the sympathy angle until the trouble tells me to stop whining. A medicinal beer might help of course.
  • itboffin
    sympathy! what’s that?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    itboffin said:

sympathy! what’s that?

A forlorn hope
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

cjcp said:

Very painful breaking the wrist from memory, and lingered. Mine didn’t show apparently but they were sure it was. No cast just told to be good and not do anything silly...
  • An almost surreal 10 mile commute this morning with the traffic light gods smiling on me. No racing but green lights all the way :)
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • This thread is as good a place as any to ask this heatwave related question, without starting a fresh thread...

Yesterday, I dithered and delayed like Boris until almost midday, before going out for a ~2 hour pootle. I finished the last of the fridge cooled 1.5l in two Camelbak Podium bottles at ~1hr45mins, but the water was quite warm after ~70mins due to the temp hitting ~34C.

I have a 600ml Camelbak Podium Ice as per https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camelbak-Podium-Sports-Bottle-Crimson/dp/B015WHPTOW bought from Merlin ~2 years ago.

In these 25C+ temps, how long do people find it takes to be able to get regular ~5min slurps, having taken the frozen bottle out of the freezer just before their ride?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Richmond Park is reopening to cars from Saturday, and ridiculously trumpeting it as creating car-free areas.

Both major rat runs opening up again, only real changes are no cars on Broomfield Hill or from Sheen Gate.
  • veronese68

Richmond Park is reopening to cars from Saturday, and ridiculously trumpeting it as creating car-free areas.

Both major rat runs opening up again, only real changes are no cars on Broomfield Hill or from Sheen Gate.

Really, that was quick. I'd have thought they'd wait until September at least.
    In other news I might start silly commuter running as I'm still incapacitated and will be for some time I suspect. Bit warm at the moment so SCW to start with I think.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Apparently it's also not safe for boats to go underneath the bridge, so something might get done about it.
  • Anyone else bamboozled by the vauxhall bridge works? Signs say lasting until December. Traffic is absolutely horrendous anywhere within 5 miles of it. Riding past is ok until you get up towards Chelsea Bridge then it's just quite dodgy with sporadic road works infringing the cycle path.
  • Anyone ridden the CS7 eastbound through Colliers Wood since the bike lane 'upgrades'?

At one point the path goes up onto the pavement and passes within 1ft of a bus shelter.

*slow handclap for Merton council*
  • Anyone ridden the CS7 eastbound through Colliers Wood since the bike lane 'upgrades'?

At one point the path goes up onto the pavement and passes within 1ft of a bus shelter.

*slow handclap for Merton council*

...and here it is:

• >> In these 25C+ temps, how long do people find it takes to be able to get regular ~5min slurps, having taken the frozen bottle out of the freezer just before their ride? <<

IMX about 30 minutes at 28C, during the recent heatwave. For some reason I only took 1 bottle on a 2-hour ride and really suffered during the second hour.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited August 2020

>> In these 25C+ temps, how long do people find it takes to be able to get regular ~5min slurps, having taken the frozen bottle out of the freezer just before their ride? <<

IMX about 30 minutes at 28C, during the recent heatwave. For some reason I only took 1 bottle on a 2-hour ride and really suffered during the second hour.</p>

Only just seen this reply, thanks, if I remember the details when we next get a heatwave day!

Today's dilemma is not commuting or racing, but perhaps silly...

Deliberating whether to head out from SO18 to be blown up Watton Lane on the south-west side of Old Winchester Hill, in the ~25mph (gusting to ~40mph) south-westerly breeze, to do an ~35 mile loop.

Or set the turbo up and Zwift.

Getting so frustrated about not being able to head out to the South Downs hills for most of the past four weeks to allow my lanced back abscess to heal, while last week and most of this week when I can do a bit more on the bike, it's windy/rainy/both.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • itboffin
    Having just come back from a week of cycling in Wales and Exmoor in wet and insanely windy conditions I have zero desire to go out in this, last week on summiting the Black Mountain turning directly into 45 mph wind and rain, i came to a complete stop several times, the conversation at the top was how dangerous the descent was going to be and the answer VERY, the only saving grace was the conditions we're so bad there were no cars on the road, which was good because we couldnt stay in a straight line let alone the right side of the road.

Character building stuff but not the worst conditions of the day that would be reserved for the twisting lanes leading up to the ascent, barely any tarmac, sand roads branches and more water than an ocean and no punctures, I had two spectacular slides first a full on double wheel snake on mud and then again leaning in to much for a sharp bend, so glad I've been riding off road a bit this last year it really helps with bike handling skills.

A. Turbo
  • Probably right, I ended up doing neither!

Might not be a good time to climb Bwlch Y Groes at the mo, 75mph winds recorded at Lake Vernwy today! :o

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53889484
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Have returned to doing a short commute across Cambridge to get a bit of peace and quiet from the toddler.

Finally a bit of (mild) SCR action today.

Fairly low FCN status for me: SS with drops, civies, billowing coat, massive heavy rucksack.

Going up the only hill in Cambridge (Castle Hill) fairly steadily when a man on a mountain bike flies past. Can't be having that.

Anyway, my gear is far too big on my SS so it took me a while to get it rolling - drew level and then nudged past him on the steep section just before the top where it levels out, and kept the gas on as it flattened out (ala Gilbert, apparently) which put him to the sword.

Turns out i'm out of practice re pretending not to breathe, so the lights at the top were....not fun.

He steams off down huntingdon road again flicking through all the various gears, so I reeled him in for a while, before getting some decent speed differential when I passed him. When I looked back about a minute later I had a good hundred metre or so on him.

Scalp saved.
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    edited October 2020
    I've been riding to the office in Soho twice a week through Sept. Traffic been slowly building and now seems worse than ever. Probably because nobody wants to go on public transport I guess. At least the landlord is allowing bikes in the building for now. Funny how people used to moan about 1 bike and now it looks like Evans. PS. Been riding on cx knobblies so any SCR is just wishful thinking.
    Always in stealth mode
  • Has everyone who has ventured out this morning stayed upright?

-1C in SO18 currently and pretty foggy... Technically freezing fog?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Over the last 2 days seems there's been a lot of newish riders out on the roads for the morning's commute - great for some easy pickings, especially as i'm on the hardtail with knobblies so my FCN number is significantly lower than normal...

In all honesty, it's great to see new riders out with their new years resolutions - and many with new Ebikes they appear to have got over the last year. These are, of course, less easy pickings, but win some, lose some.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Part of me wanted to put some "nice" tyres on the Marasa for this week off work, but when I saw the forecast, I suspected the wind and cold would largely put me off riding outdoors and it looks to have been a good call so far...

Leg fatigue after ~3x my recent norm in the saddle during Xmas week primarily on the turbo, a short outdoor ride on Saturday afternoon and struggling to do much of anything yesterday and today besides a short ~45mins on the turbo leaving me feeling wrecked.

Now got 38mm Gravdal ice tyres on both ends of the Marasa in readiness for the freeze expected in Hampshire from Thurs morning (sub zero before "feels like" temps), but the clearance to the Beavertail XL is incredibly marginal near the flappy bit that clips on to the seat tube, ~2mm at best! :s
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited January 2021

Now got 38mm Gravdal ice tyres on both ends of the Marasa in readiness for the freeze expected in Hampshire from Thurs morning (sub zero before "feels like" temps),

Yeah, for some reason i'm WFH on Thursday and Friday...

2mm clearance ain't good :neutral:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

• Now got 38mm Gravdal ice tyres on both ends of the Marasa in readiness for the freeze expected in Hampshire from Thurs morning (sub zero before "feels like" temps),

Yeah, for some reason i'm WFH on Thursday and Friday...

2mm clearance ain't good :neutral:
    Only those two days? :o;)

Yeah, that clearance is a bit too tight, will remove guard while running rear Gravdal until at least the weekend and look to find a "proper" rear guard that gives more clearance.

Even without a guard, I'm a bit gutted on how they've compromised clearaance on the Marasa rear, the triple front mech protrudes ~2cm behind the seat tube. A 50mm slick (Schwalbe Century) fits with ~3mm clearance, while the front will take a 2.35" G One Speed slick with a tad more clearance.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo