Your own sugar daddy team, so to speak

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
So by now almost all the top teams are backed by various rich men who are enthusiasts of the sport.

So, imagine for a moment you’re one of those men. Your team has a top third budget (but not limitless).

What sort of cycling team would you be looking to create? And what talent would you try to go after?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2020
    I'm a billionaire so status is important and, unless I'm Italian, that means being a player at the Tour. So I want someone who is going to stand on the GC podium, wins iconic mountain stages. I'd prize reliability over panache. Unless I have THE man of the Tour I don't want a team to control the race.

Cobbles are important. A classics rider with a bit of a sprint and another with a diesel engine.

And an Italian sprinter who can do the Giro and not want to do the Tour. Maybe a punchy Italian to.

If I'm Sylvan Adams I'd be looking at struggling teams and people underrated by their teams. My shopping list would include Trentin, Haig, Knox, Dunbar, Colbrelli, Moscon, Zakarin and Kelderman.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited July 2020
    If I had a top end budget I would still probably shop in the bargain basement first in order to keep as much moolah as possible for the heavy hitters.

Haig and Knox would probably be on my list too for GC and GT backup.
    Pat Bevin and Fausto Masnada would be my other pick ups from the Cheap Cheerful Chaps as they have lots of mileage left in them.
    Ben O'Connor from NTT.

Tim Declercq, Jannik Steimle and Mikkel Frølich Honoré from DQS. A couple of work horses and a classics dark horse.

Luke Rowe: a man for all seasons.

Matteo Trentin, Nils Politt, Marc Hirschi, Kasper Asgreen, Alberto Bettiol, Magnus Cort and Mike Teunissen would be my middle price tagged classics shopping list.

Splashing out the cash: Max Schachmann

Sprinter/classics: Jasper Philipsen

GT Leaders: Primož Roglič and Egan Bernal, if I could afford a third: Tadej Pogačar

That lot should break the bank so the rest of the team would have to come from PC, conti or neo.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tour de France team in train order.
    Roglic or Bernal, Haig, de Plus, Agreen, Politt, Teunissen or Trentin, Rowe, DeClerc.

• rick_chasey
    Nice.

So imma be realistic and Bernal has just signed a long deal with Ineos so that’s off the cards. Will be rough to prize anyone big from Jumbo either.

I’d probably try and get Uran because I’m a big big fan and maybe Mas to be mentored by him. That’s my GC options who can also be stage hunters as required. If I can get Nibali on the cheap he’s an obvious target.

I’m obviously going to try to go toe-to-toe with quick step. Assuming I have no chance for MvdP or van Aert...

I’d like to get Gilbert on a veteran eat-what-you-kill deal and I’d love to take the world champ on too. I could get Degenkolb on the cheap and I would splash out to get Trentin. If my budget allows I’d as Asgreen too. Would take Kristoff too.

My big money spend would be on Groenewegen obvs. I’d take teunissen too.

If I had any money for bigger riders left over I’d have De Plus

Whaddya think?

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Which bike manufacturer do you want to go with?
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    mrb123 said:

Which bike manufacturer do you want to go with?

If we exclude the deleted Armstrong years, of the last 24 Tours two thirds have been won on a Pinarello

Of course Canyon could deliver van der Poel to the roster
  • blazing_saddles
    Well, if you can afford Trentin, Degenkolb, Kristoff and Groenewegen, I guess I haven't over spent!

If I can't get Bernal cos of contract, I'd be happy to take 2 for 1 with Tadej Pogačar and say Pavel Sivakov, or Sergio Higuita.
    My thinking is go all in for long term youth, as opposed to old dogs and a pupil.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    Bernal, Pogacar and Evenepoel are unobtainable due to long contracts. Sivakov will be too soon. Higuita is a good shout. That's why I picked out Dunbar who I really rate and seemingly down the pecking at Ineos. His Giro last year was quietly impressive.

Zakarin (30) and Keldermann (29) have talent and seem to have lost their way

I'd try and steal Pidcock away from Brailsford who expects to sign him. I'd have mentioned Naesen, but he's just signed up again to AG2R

Then staff. I'd break the bank for Matt White if Mitchelton folded. Max Sciandri in the car. Pinotti from CCC. Get Julich back involved. Get one of Sky's old nutritionists.
  • mrb123
    I'll launch a new British team now that Ineos isn't particularly British.

Give G a lucrative 2 year deal. Maybe one or both Yates. Knox, Pidcock, Dunbar. Tiernan Locke (just kidding).

Bikes will have to be Genesis or Orro I suppose.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    mrb123 said:

I'll launch a new British team now that Ineos isn't particularly British.

Give G a lucrative 2 year deal. Maybe one or both Yates. Knox, Pidcock, Dunbar. Tiernan Locke (just kidding).

Bikes will have to be Genesis or Orro I suppose.

I see the British are claiming Irishman Dunbar as one of theirs just as they have today with Jack Charlton*

Seriously though James Shaw is decent, I'd like to see Scott Davies in better team with focus, Jon Dibben was discarded to soon (back with Lotto). And where are Josh Edmondson and Alex Peters these days?

*Joke stolen from twitter
  • mrb123
    I'd have a place for Kennaugh once he's ready to come back.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Bernal, Pogacar and Evenepoel are unobtainable due to long contracts. Sivakov will be too soon. Higuita is a good shout. That's why I picked out Dunbar who I really rate and seemingly down the pecking at Ineos. His Giro last year was quietly impressive.

Zakarin (30) and Keldermann (29) have talent and seem to have lost their way

I'd try and steal Pidcock away from Brailsford who expects to sign him. I'd have mentioned Naesen, but he's just signed up again to AG2R

Then staff. I'd break the bank for Matt White if Mitchelton folded. Max Sciandri in the car. Pinotti from CCC. Get Julich back involved. Get one of Sky's old nutritionists.

I’ll take Riis on the cheap.
  • rick_chasey
    Some great replies so far. Enjoying them
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    On the support side I'd have Eufemiano Fuentes as the team doctor, and in charge of team equipment Istvan Varjas.

(the above may not be entirely serious. Or is it?)
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    Team based upon riders allegedly out of contract is intriguing.
    Obviously a few are already spoken for but it's an interesting list to work from.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/teams/no-team-next-year

• RichN95.
    Ben O’Connor. I’ll have him
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

Ben O’Connor. I’ll have him

I beat you to him. ;)
    Surprised by the number of names we selected that are on that list.

The list of PC riders out of contract.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/teams.php?s=no-team-next-year&year=2020&teamlevel=pct&nation=&team=&sort=career_pnts&younger_then=&filter=Filter

One or two there to be considered, too, but it's noticeable that the majority are aging blokes on their way down.
  • blazing_saddles
    Here's my team selected from the two lists I posted. So all remain currently on the market, although I might need two WT team budgets to buy the lot.

GT GC boys: Miguel Ángel López, Simon Yates, Rigoberto Urán, Pavel Sivakov

Stage racers and super doms: Maximilian Schachmann, Jack Haig, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Laurens De Plus, Pierre Latour, Sam Oomen, Ben O'Connor

Sprinters: Jasper Philipsen, Max Walscheid, Matteo Moschetti

Classics/All rounders: Bob Jungels, Sep Vanmarcke, Alexey Lutsenko, Michael Valgren, Jens Keukeleire, Gianni Moscon, Alberto Bettiol, Nils Politt, Patrick Bevin, Iván García Cortina, Xandro Meurisse, Amaury Capiot, Anthony Turgis

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

Here's my team selected from the two lists I posted. So all remain currently on the market, although I might need two WT team budgets to buy the lot.

Stage racers and super doms: Maximilian Schachmann, Jack Haig, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Laurens De Plus, Pierre Latour, Sam Oomen, Ben O'Connor

Classics/All rounders: Bob Jungels, Sep Vanmarcke, Alexey Lutsenko, Michael Valgren, Jens Keukeleire, Gianni Moscon, Alberto Bettiol, Nils Politt, Patrick Bevin, Iván García Cortina, Xandro Meurisse, Amaury Capiot, Anthony Turgis

That's a lot to spend without signing any real winners.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    TBH, I'd probaly just buy Quick-Step
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    gsk82 said:

It's from whats' available, next season. No broken contracts to pay for.

Besides, I'm not sure what you mean by real winners.

Simon Yates has won a GT, Lopez already has 2 GT podiums and 2 WT stage race wins. There's also a recent Flanders winner, a recent LBL winner and an Amstel winner, all of whom are still quite young.
    Max Schachmann won Paris-Nice this year and has a string of impressive stage wins.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422

I started a list earlier today and have so far the same riders give or take a few... I'd add Teuns, Kangert and Molano. There are some really good riders looking for contracts...

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    This analysis requires me not just to roll out Team My Man, but to also know their contract situations?
  • blazing_saddles
    Teuns yes certainly and he is fair game.
    I had it in my mind that he had already agreed a transfer, but it turns out he's just another on Israel's shopping list.

Rod E is keen to keep him at Bahrain.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

This analysis requires me not just to roll out Team My Man, but to also know their contract situations?

Entirely up to you, but let's face it, it's more fun if it's semi realistic.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020

gsk82 said:

It's from whats' available, next season. No broken contracts to pay for.

Besides, I'm not sure what you mean by real winners.

Simon Yates has won a GT, Lopez already has 2 GT podiums and 2 WT stage race wins. There's also a recent Flanders winner, a recent LBL winner and an Amstel winner, all of whom are still quite young.
    Max Schachmann won Paris-Nice this year and has a string of impressive stage wins.
    It's an outrageous classics team. Outrageous.

Who would you have a DS for that? Lotta egos to manage.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I have built this side in www.procyclinggame.com so there were budget constraints although should i make money on prizes and share price I am looking for another GC rider.

Schachmann is on my list to buy. I just don't want to go obvious with Bernal.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

TBH, I'd probaly just buy Quick-Step

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver