Fulcrum Racing 4 - tyre combo

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited July 2020 in Road general
I have just bought a pair of Fulcrum Racing 4 C17 wheels. I fitted the front yesterday using the tyre on my old Mavic wheels. It is a Continental Ultra Sport which has a few miles in it so it has been "loosened" off so to speak.

Fitting it was hell. Getting the last of the bead over the rim has ribbed my thumbs to bits. I was using all the tricks I could - pushing the beads in between the rims and working the available tyre round the wheel to give as much play as possible. Squeezing, tugging, pulling and so but it was a nightmare. I nipped the first tube and once the tyre was on I really struggled to get the tyre to sit evenly on the wheel. For the first four inflations the red tyrewall was uneven over a section of the wheel.

Normally (with the Mavics) I'd lever the tyre off, insert a new tube and push the tyre back on. I might have a tender thumb it wouldn't be anything like this experience with the Fulcrums.

If this had been at the side of the road on a cold morning I would have thoroughly hacked off, and probably abandoned by the rest of the group.

Has anyone else had similar issues with the Racing 4 wheels and is there a tyre which is easier to fit than the Continental?

Comments

• navrig2
    Getting the rear tyre on was a bit easier but still not straightforward. I have found other forum posts on the web suggesting that Fulcrum/Continental are not a good mix.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I had similar experiences getting new Conti Ultra Sports onto Fulcrum Racing 7s (as part of a general swap around of bits after I bought a new bike). However I’ve had no problems getting lots of GP4000s2s onto Fulcrum Racing 5 LGs and Quattros, so IME, it is the Ultra Sports that are the problem.
  • navrig2
    cq20 said:

I had similar experiences getting new Conti Ultra Sports onto Fulcrum Racing 7s (as part of a general swap around of bits after I bought a new bike). However I’ve had no problems getting lots of GP4000s2s onto Fulcrum Racing 5 LGs and Quattros, so IME, it is the Ultra Sports that are the problem.

Thanks. I'll consider the GP4000 for the next tyres.