Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Stevo_666 said:

Mountain biking is much more fun than this roadie business.

Does anyone disagree? I can see an argument that racing on a road bike is more fun than on a mountain bike.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

Stevo_666 said:

Does anyone disagree? I can see an argument that racing on a road bike is more fun than on a mountain bike.
    I’m not a fan of mtb.
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.
    I was lucky to grow up somewhere that was really good for it. I guess if I grew up somewhere without hills I might have a different view. It is one of the things I miss living in London.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    "A really good bike handler" according to commentators everywhere...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.
    I was lucky to grow up somewhere that was really good for it. I guess if I grew up somewhere without hills I might have a different view. It is one of the things I miss living in London.
    Meh i did a bit of it in the peaks which is hilly enough.

I found it too slow, I don’t like getting muddy and I didn’t really get a thrill out of bombing down a trail in the same way I would get on a road descent.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

I found it too slow, I don’t like getting muddy and I didn’t really get a thrill out of bombing down a trail in the same way I would get on a road descent.
    It is an age thing. Last time I went mountain biking, I assessed every root and rock by potential re-hab time.

Road cycling seems more trinary somehow. Dead. Road rash/collar bone. Whehey.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

It is an age thing. Last time I went mountain biking, I assessed every root and rock by potential re-hab time.

And none of that getting a lift up to the top nonsense. Must admit I am too old for the weaving through trees bit. The trees *always* win.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    Fun sponges! The lot of you!

(Though must say I've fallen out of love with it the last few years. I fancied another go this summer though - before I broke myself)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I find mountain biking similar to mountain running, I get a romanticised image in my head of cruising along trails, enjoying beautiful scenery and fresh air then when I do it the reality is pain in your legs going up combined with cuts and bruises from the terrain. I don't ride much on or off road anymore but I still keep fooling myself into believing that image in my head of running free across the mountains.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I've given up the uplift stuff now after ripping my supraspinatus tendon a couple of years back - just don't bounce as well any more. But still enjoy a bit of trail stuff, makes you feel alive.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    I have learned 4 things the hard way about recreating your youth.
    1. It is scarier than you remember.
    2. It hurts more than you remember.
    3. Injury recovery takes a hell of a lot longer.
    4. If you don't experience 1-3 then you are simply playing at it.

😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

I have learned 4 things the hard way about recreating your youth.
    1. It is scarier than you remember.
    2. It hurts more than you remember.
    3. Injury recovery takes a hell of a lot longer.
    4. If you don't experience 1-3 then you are simply playing at it.

😉

I only picked up mountain biking in my early 40's...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    Too late.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

I spend most road descents either working out how little I can use the brakes or wondering if it’s worthwhile getting into a supertuck.
  • rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

I spend most road descents either working out how little I can use the brakes or wondering if it’s worthwhile getting into a supertuck.
    In Cambridgeshire? 🤔
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

In Cambridgeshire? 🤔
    Ha no.
  • pblakeney

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

I followed a guy down Galibier with suitable braking distance so no draughting. Where it slightly levelled off he would sit up and pedal while I maintained my tuck. I had to brake as I was catching him.
    A small sample but real life test.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Stevo_666 said:

I’m not a fan of mtb.

I followed a guy down Galibier with suitable braking distance so no draughting. Where it slightly levelled off he would sit up and pedal while I maintained my tuck. I had to brake as I was catching him.
    A small sample but real life test.
    Yeah. It takes a bit of time to get yourself in and out of it (relatively speaking), and where I cycle(d), it's often twisty or blind or short. I imagine you get plenty of time on the Galibier, once you've made it past the twisty top.

I do really really love descending though. Sometimes fast, sometimes not. Underrated.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Road cycling is merely the 51 week off season for a skiing holiday.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2020
    pblakeney said:

Too late.

Some say better late than never.
  • ddraver
    Verbier is obviously a little more flush with money than elsewhere but the types of bikes I saw suggested it may be a trend but it seems that Alpine MTBers now have a full on DH bike for uplift/park days and an E-'enduro' bike for the rest of the time.

There are very few non-e trail bikes left any more...
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    Lazy feckers! 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    My most unpopular opinion in the real world, which people genuinely seem to think is a stain on my character is that I really really don't like dogs.

• TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Verbier is obviously a little more flush with money than elsewhere but the types of bikes I saw suggested it may be a trend but it seems that Alpine MTBers now have a full on DH bike for uplift/park days and an E-'enduro' bike for the rest of the time.

There are very few non-e trail bikes left any more...

I did most of my mountain biking on a rigid muddy fox. I'm told I have missed out.

I always assumed that you need to earn the downhill part of the ride.

Continuing the discussion about comparing with road bikes, depending on where you are, a mountain bike massively opens up the terrain available without having to go far.
  • ddraver
    I think in their defence, they would point out that you have to climb 500 - 1000 odd m of vertical just to access the start of the interesting climb in the alps and so getting some help with that enables you to go far enough to make it interesting for the same effort.

I noticed something similar in Germany where all the old biddies were using e-bikes to get out on their daily exercise in contrast to NL where most people were still on posh, but non-e, "dutch" bikes
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry

My most unpopular opinion in the real world, which people genuinely seem to think is a stain on my character is that I really really don't like dogs.

No, that's absolutely fine.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

No, that's absolutely fine.
    Ha, tell that to dog owners & walkers.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Dogs or their owners?
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    A work colleague thought prawns and egg mayonnaise was actually a sandwich filling 🤮
  • rick_chasey

Dogs or their owners?
    Mainly dogs, but if their owners don't get it (not uncommon) them too.

If it says keep your dog on a lead, keep your dog on a f*cking lead.

I don't want your dog near me, and I deliberately pick places where dogs aren't supposed to run free so I don't have to have a run in with them.