Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited July 2020

joe2019 said:

deebeegee said:

Just discovered the cricket thread after years of not posting and having to change username and all that.

Was lucky enough to play pro way back when, and though I just missed it (thank god) and faced Marshall when he was a swing bowler (and literally unhittable on his day). The word on the county circuit for the worst bowler to face - Sylvester Clarke. A barrel chested psycho on the pitch who used to rough up absolutely everyone. Though actually the most worried ever was fielding at point to Robin Smith. Liable to crack off the bat at lightning zip and if the crowd / hoardings on the other side of the pitch were unkind you could end up eating the ball.

The two fastest bowlers I faced were Duncan Spencer (famously threw his bouncer which was 3 yards quicker than regular deliveries, and they were quick enough) and Adrianus van Troost. Facing van Troost in fading light was the only time I've ever been genuinely worried for my safety playing sport.

Who did you play for, I may have watched you at Taunton :)

I always thought that Wayne Daniels was very quick.
    I used to work with somebody who played a bit for Surrey and he reckoned Daniels was the scariest he faced
    I always had the feeling that Daniels was fucking quick

Crazy that batsmen used to face them these guys without helmets.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

deebeegee said:

Just discovered the cricket thread after years of not posting and having to change username and all that.

Was lucky enough to play pro way back when, and though I just missed it (thank god) and faced Marshall when he was a swing bowler (and literally unhittable on his day). The word on the county circuit for the worst bowler to face - Sylvester Clarke. A barrel chested psycho on the pitch who used to rough up absolutely everyone. Though actually the most worried ever was fielding at point to Robin Smith. Liable to crack off the bat at lightning zip and if the crowd / hoardings on the other side of the pitch were unkind you could end up eating the ball.

The two fastest bowlers I faced were Duncan Spencer (famously threw his bouncer which was 3 yards quicker than regular deliveries, and they were quick enough) and Adrianus van Troost. Facing van Troost in fading light was the only time I've ever been genuinely worried for my safety playing sport.

Who did you play for, I may have watched you at Taunton :)

I always thought that Wayne Daniels was very quick.
    I used to work with somebody who played a bit for Surrey and he reckoned Daniels was the scariest he faced
    I always had the feeling that Daniels was censored quick

Very quick, livid with rage and trying to hurt you rather than get you out. He had the teeth and nose to prove it.
  • deebeegee
    deebeegee Posts: 9
    Played for Yorks and Hants, but only 2nd team and never 1st class (which still annoys, but don't tell the kids). Faced van Troost at Taunton and one of our players earlier in the match hit him for 6 (Matt Keech I think) with an edge of the top of the bat handle right in front of his face. Sat in the visitor dressing room in total silence....

Bizarrely the worst bowler to face was Steve Barwick at Glam. He bowled seam up at about 50 mph. Wobbling all over, seam and swing. Unplayable at Sophia Gardens.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Good timing to see this thread again with a West Indies test starting tomorrow. I'm in two minds however, usually all over TMS but in two minds with a crowd free game. Guess I will give it a go.

The Holding v Close footage on Youtube is worth a watch for how they used to play.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    One year he got an award for best batsman in the Surrey Colts which was presented at a gala dinner by Ken Barrington. Our hero asked the great man if he had any advice?

“Yes, get a hair cut”
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    My gran told me that Larwood was quick.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

My gran told me that Larwood was quick.

Perhaps he should have done what Shortfall suggested and thought of Diane Abbott?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    deebeegee said:

Played for Yorks and Hants, but only 2nd team and never 1st class (which still annoys, but don't tell the kids). Faced van Troost at Taunton and one of our players earlier in the match hit him for 6 (Matt Keech I think) with an edge of the top of the bat handle right in front of his face. Sat in the visitor dressing room in total silence....

Bizarrely the worst bowler to face was Steve Barwick at Glam. He bowled seam up at about 50 mph. Wobbling all over, seam and swing. Unplayable at Sophia Gardens.

Steve Barwick's a name from the past. I saw him several times, right scruffy git!
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    deebeegee said:

Medium pace dobbers are the worst, no pace on the ball, jagging all over. English pitches have always produced them.
  • shocking scenes - will England survive the day?
  • verylonglegs
    Are they that shocking? I seem to remember Pakistan have a knack of finding players, bowlers in particular, who can use English conditions despite having limited experience of them. Plus the English test side has dipped a fair bit after being number one for a while before all the resources were thrown in to winning the WC.

Pub question, what about a fortune reversal, imagine the PCB with funds of the ECB, just what sort of team could they produce then?
  • Pross
    Take out one batting performance and the Pakistan innings wasn't much. Having read the comment above and heard the BBC news talking about how England were heading to defeat I was a bit surprised when I saw the scorecard. There's still a bit of batting to come.
  • verylonglegs
    I must admit Pross I was surprised by your post given your past comments on cricket. A look at the scorecard doesn't always tell the full story in a test match and I don't think Bess, Archer and Anderson would describe themselves as a 'bit of batting to come.' We had two middle order batsmen in with only a weak tail to follow. So todays play (so far) hasn't surpised me, Pakistan taking over a hundred run first innings lead. England will be batting last on a drying wicket against two spinners, that's why I am not optimistic about their chances.
  • Pross said:

Take out one batting performance and the Pakistan innings wasn't much. Having read the comment above and heard the BBC news talking about how England were heading to defeat I was a bit surprised when I saw the scorecard. There's still a bit of batting to come.

and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle
  • Pross

I must admit Pross I was surprised by your post given your past comments on cricket. A look at the scorecard doesn't always tell the full story in a test match and I don't think Bess, Archer and Anderson would describe themselves as a 'bit of batting to come.' We had two middle order batsmen in with only a weak tail to follow. So todays play (so far) hasn't surpised me, Pakistan taking over a hundred run first innings lead. England will be batting last on a drying wicket against two spinners, that's why I am not optimistic about their chances.

It was more that when I read the comment and heard the news headline I assumed they had either already been bowled out or were right down in the tail. They still had Pope and Buttler batting with Woakes and Broad (who seemed to be getting his batting back together in the last Test) to come in. England have had a fair amount of recent history of the middle order putting together a big partnership so 4 down just wasn't as bad as the headlines had made me fear. I'd have been happier in Stokes had still been in of course as he is usually the instigator of any comebacks.

Unfortunately that didn't happen (although the bowling seems to finally be firing if a bit too late) but only seeing the scoreboard at the end of the day 'shocking scenes, will England survive the day' seemed a bit OTT.
  • Pross
    Not looking so bad now is it? I suspect that on day one chasing a possible 260-270 to win would have looked acceptable.
  • Pross said:

Not looking so bad now is it? I suspect that on day one chasing a possible 260-270 to win would have looked acceptable.

I do not share your optimism. Successful run chases of that magnitude are surprisingly rare, the highest ever at Old Trafford is 286.

Each innings total has been lower than the previous one and I would expect that run to continue.

My “shocking scenes” post was a public service announcement for anybody who could avail themselves of a TV
  • verylonglegs
    Pross said:

England have had a fair amount of recent history of the middle order putting together a big partnership so 4 down just wasn't as bad as the headlines had made me fear.

Vaughan has been banging on about this for 18 months now at least, he has said if you always rely on your middle order to bail you out then eventually you'll come a cropper. Would be nice if this match isn't that time. At least in entertainment terms it's well set up now for a exciting finish.

• Pross
    Burns and Sibley could develop into a decent partnership. It's a shame Haseeb Hameed got injured as he looked the real deal but has disappeared into obscurity since then.
  • Pross said:

Burns and Sibley could develop into a decent partnership. It's a shame Haseeb Hameed got injured as he looked the real deal but has disappeared into obscurity since then.

Burns, Sibley and Crawley are light years ahead of where we were post Cook. Throw in Pope and it looks like we have selectors who can identify test match talent.

Surrey started working with the schools including groundsman and coaching but also cash for facilities. They may be in a unique situation with being a rich club and an abundance of private schools but it would be great if others could adopt the same template.

Atherton writes about Hameed a lot as he really rates him but thought his problems were due to too many distractions at home in Manchester. He was let go last year and signed by Notts, so far there are encouraging signs.
  • Pross
    See all they were doing was manufacturing an exciting finish. Real end to end game and even now who knows?
  • TheBigBean
    Good stuff this.
  • Pross
    Don't know why anyone was worried to be honest.
  • verylonglegs
    Remarkable for England to win it from 117/5. I half wonder if Buttler played so well because he knew he had nothing to lose. Must be a real psychological blow too for Pakistan to lose from that position. Hope the remaining tests are just as entertaining.
  • For at least a decade I have been forecasting that one day experience will make 4th innings chases easier, if I give it a few more years these statistical outliers may become more frequent
  • Pross
    I think the pressure of one day chases certainly helps. The English batsmen seem to do better when under pressure rather than just trying to put runs on the board.
  • TheBigBean
    I just think pitches don't break up as much as they used to because five days of cricket makes more money.
  • verylonglegs

I just think pitches don't break up as much as they used to because five days of cricket makes more money.

It makes more money if you've 20000 spectators buying beer for the full five days, not so much now. There is a phrase I heard for the pitches you describe, I can't remember which ex-player pundit it was but before the first day of a test a couple of years ago they looked at the pitch and called it a 'Chief Executives wicket' because it was a nice flat road that would last for five days and guarantee income for the county ground it was played at.
  • Pross

They'd only really got 3.5 days out of this one though and not many tests seem to get a full 5. It was taking a fair bit of turn today though and the pitch certainly didn't play fair for Ollie Pope when he got out.
  • TheBigBean
    It was a general point, not specific to this test.