Unpopular Opinions

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    edited July 2020
    Pross said:

shortfall said:

essexian said:

The best bands ever all came from the South East of England.

Unpopular and untrue.
    The Stones, The Kinks, Small Faces, East 17 - all the greats
    You got off to a good start there too, then ran out and panicked.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,506

Net zero is going to happen, and much quicker than most people expect.

I think the last 4 months have shown it won't. And no-one has any spare money to pay for it now. Additionally, notice how much more plastic we are using to 6 months ago?

Unless you are saying you know of technological solutions that will deliver it?
    Gas prices are crazily, and unsustainably low at the moment, but assuming that is temporary and prices go back to normal, wind and solar are probably the cheapest way to generate electricity. Yes storage needs some work.

Otherwise, hydrogen is coming, and coming quickly.

It won't happen if it has a negative economic effect on us.

Additionally, China are undoing any carbon savings the west are making with their over reliance on coal fire power stations and they don't seem to be slowing the building of them.
    China is a world leader in terms of volume of renewables.
  • pblakeney
    Is it irony that China uses coal fired power stations to build renewables?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

shortfall said:

essexian said:

The best bands ever all came from the South East of England.

Unpopular and untrue.
    The Stones, The Kinks, Small Faces, East 17 - all the greats
    You got off to a good start there too, then ran out and panicked.
    I took my inspiration from that Blackadder sketch about the great universities so in that vein - you're right, the Small Faces were rubbish.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

Theresa May was a better PM than given credit for.

I think you might need to show your workings for that.
    In her premiership she faced two major issues, Brexit and the Salisbury poisonings.

With regard to Brexit she became the first leader of a country to trigger Article 50 and under that restrictive timescale negotiate a withdrawal agreement. Her deal combined the seemingly impossible demands of leaving the EU with the UK intact, ending free movement and allowing UK trade with the EU to continue unhindered.

This deal had the support of all but 2 members of the 'current' cabinet and became the basis of the final deal

With regard to the Salisbury poisoning she became one of the few world leaders to face down Russia, marshalling 28 countries (including the EU in the midst of the Brexit negotiations) in taking retaliatory diplomatic action in expelling Russian operatives.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I get a hard on just thinking about Diane Abbott
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pblakeney
    slowmart said:

Everybody deserves a little lovin’.
    Glad you’re happy to step up to the plate.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    slowmart said:

Rick will be keen to recruit you, as you would certainly add diversity. Can't imagine he has one like you in his collection. :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    slowmart said:

The Ban Stick was a good thing.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Slowmart may have won this thread.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    slowmart said:

Is that you Jeremy?
  • Stevo_666
    mrb123 said:

slowmart said:

Is that you Jeremy?
    :D

Well he is a Labour supporter...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    slowmart said:

To be fair I only try and conjour up her image in my minds eye if things are "happening a little too quickly" shall we say. The problem then of course is keeping things going.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,506

In her premiership she faced two major issues, Brexit and the Salisbury poisonings.

With regard to Brexit she became the first leader of a country to trigger Article 50 and under that restrictive timescale negotiate a withdrawal agreement. Her deal combined the seemingly impossible demands of leaving the EU with the UK intact, ending free movement and allowing UK trade with the EU to continue unhindered.

This deal had the support of all but 2 members of the 'current' cabinet and became the basis of the final deal

With regard to the Salisbury poisoning she became one of the few world leaders to face down Russia, marshalling 28 countries (including the EU in the midst of the Brexit negotiations) in taking retaliatory diplomatic action in expelling Russian operatives.

Thanks for showing your workings. Having duly considered it, I think this remains the correct thread for it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123

Thanks for showing your workings. Having duly considered it, I think this remains the correct thread for it.
    I, however, having previously given her no credit at all, agree with the sentiment that there is some credit due for the Salisbury stuff.

Also, it now appears that she could have been worse.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    It doesn't really matter what bloody bedside lamps we have.

• Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

slowmart said:

To be fair I only try and conjour up her image in my minds eye if things are "happening a little too quickly" shall we say. The problem then of course is keeping things going.
    :D

Does that image include the non-matching shoes?

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited July 2020

Brian Cox is a liar, astronomy and associated theoretical science isn't "cool" or "mind blowing" it's boring as ****. I'm willing to concede it *may* serve some purpose - god knows what - but don't try and make it entertainment .

July 2020 offers you all 5 bright planets. Venus is that very bright object lighting the east before sunrise. After mid-July, find Mercury below Venus. Jupiter and Saturn are the planets to watch in July 2020. They are close together on the sky’s dome, and both reach opposition this month. Thus they’re at their best, up nearly all night, all month. Mars is looking very red now, steadily brightening, out between midnight and dawn.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupite'r-venus-saturn-mercury

Look up to the sky's and feast your eyes on the wonder of the universe.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    All fascinating. Or it would be if it wasn't for the fact that when I look up to the sky, all I get is a wet face, this fine July.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Crikey, you've only got to wait a couple of days for a spell of good weather.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    I'm from Scotland but I wanted England to win the World Cup and always support them (after Scotland).

Perhaps a trivial thing that annoys me but those idiots at the border actually made me ashamed. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-border-protest-absolute-disgrace-22304552

Actually, I don't understand how the SNP can claim their kind of nationalism is inclusive. Looks like every other kind of nationalism to me.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited July 2020
    nickice said:

I'm from Scotland but I wanted England to win the World Cup and always support them (after Scotland).

Perhaps a trivial thing that annoys me but those idiots at the border actually made me ashamed. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-border-protest-absolute-disgrace-22304552

Actually, I don't understand how the SNP can claim their kind of nationalism is inclusive. Looks like every other kind of nationalism to me.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm English, living in Scotland, and I can assure you it is not inclusive unless you are Scottish. There is so much inferred anti-English bias in what the SNP puts out on a relentless daily basis that I will not stay in Scotland when I retire. I don't, as a person who identifies as being British, then English, feel welcome here.

It also hasn't escaped my notice that Scotland is one of the most shockingly monochrome countries on earth. I don't know why that is, but I can't imagine that the "them and us" rhetoric which underlines all of Scottish politics is helping, because the "us" all look and sound the same, as far as I can tell.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    From the article:

"Asked by the BBC's Gordon Brewer if the protest was just a few people "clowning around", he said: "It is but these send messages out."

No agendas visible at all really.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

nickice said:

I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm English, living in Scotland, and I can assure you it is not inclusive unless you are Scottish. There is so much inferred anti-English bias in what the SNP puts out on a relentless daily basis that I will not stay in Scotland when I retire. I don't, as a person who identifies as being British, then English, feel welcome here.

It also hasn't escaped my notice that Scotland is one of the most shockingly monochrome countries on earth. I don't know why that is, but I can't imagine that the "them and us" rhetoric which underlines all of Scottish politics is helping, because the "us" all look and sound the same, as far as I can tell.
    By lineage I am a quarter Scottish but have lived in England all my life. I consider myself British but am not hung up on nationality.
    Currently employed by a UK wide company based in Glasgow.
    The use of the term ‘down south’ amused me at first but I now find it very grating that the majority of Britain’s population just exists somewhere down there. If it’s just in casual conversation I don’t mind but it gets used in company briefings.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    nickice said:

Agreed. Nationalism is still nationalism whatever you wrap it up in.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    oxoman said:

At least the jocks speak english, unlike the Welsh.

You beats the gaelic out of us.
  • Gravel bikes/biking is just cyclocross rebranded. And not in a good way!
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Gravel bikes/biking is just cyclocross rebranded. And not in a good way!

I am not sure why the name has stuck over here.
    It is named after the long gravel roads of the US that Europe doesn’t really have in the same way.
    Adventure seems the better name. But yes, CX without a number on your back.
  • Stevo_666
    Mountain biking is much more fun than this roadie business.
  • pblakeney
    oxoman said:

Cyclocross and gravel bikes are just road bikes with bigger tyres and clearance. Mountain bikes started out as heavy duty road bikes with straight bars.

Sounds like my first "mountain bike". Removed the mudguards, fitted knobbly tyres, straight bars and dropped the saddle. Sorted. Round about 1977, I think.
    Veronese68 wrote: