sunday something superluminal scintillates

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited July 2020 in The bottom bracket
'ning

might be sunny later, but windy and rain radar says it's about to get wet

once dry, ride out on fresh tub whilst staying hyper alert for anything sharp, extra coffee maybe, or dexedrine, wonder if there'll be doughnuts

where's hoppy?
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Forecast was scorvhio this morning but it was a bit damp and drizzly. Has to take it easy through the "technical section" on this morning's token ride.
    Going to see if the car starts in a bit and go the scenic route to the supermarket.
  • sungod
    had a ride, sealant in old front tub failed at bottom of swains lane, still had 5 bar in it afterwards though, more gluing

seems quiet, does this mean bbers were out getting slaughtered in crowded pubs?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Not me SG.
    I got hammered yesterday in coolish breezy temps yesterday in anticipation of today's aforementioned weather.
    How the hell do you avoid sharp stuff in that there big smoke, [too much buck for a bang]?

@hopkinb took offence to suggesting some of his culinary exploits looked like road kill. I think he should stop being a big Jessie and get stuck in.
    Are we allowed to say that? Can we call him a big Rachel McKinnon?

So far, it's a bit breezy but enough wind to blow clouds around leaving gaps for the sun to shine through. It's been slim pickings on that front for 10 days now.
    On the upside, we're officially allowed to go up North - which is North of where we are now, so North of North.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Woohoo! Haircut!
  • sungod
    pinno said:

How the hell do you avoid sharp stuff in that there big smoke, [too much buck for a bang]?

if the roads are dry it's generally ok, but the moment things are wet it lubricates the sharp bits and tyres get cut

this front one i'd already repaired, so by the time it got the sealant, then another few months riding, it was quite an old tub

new veloflex sprinter fitted, skinniest, i stocked up with a few as they don't make them anymore, they seem to have succumbed to the fat fad :(
  • thistle_
    Car started no problem which was a surprise: no bangs and clouds of blue smoke. Worrying pinging noise coming from the back suspension though.

Went into town after seeing all the stuff on social media about shops being open and about 80% of them were closed. Lots of cars but nobody out and about.

Going to watch this virtual TdF and see if it's any good.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Over to parents for mother’s birthday, managed to watch the gp which isn’t too exciting

Later is pub 😎 missed saying that
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

Later is pub 😎 missed saying that

You mean the shed?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    First go on the fettled tourer with gravel 38 tyres. Nice ride. Ok on the loose stuff, smooth and reasonably free rolling on the tarmac. New vistas are opening up...😎
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Busy day (apart from the lie in that is). Went for a sunny but breezy 40k ride down to the North Downs with a mate, followed by coffee and talking bollox. Legs held up quite well considering how little I've been on a bike since the first half of March. Then had to catch up with some work as its a bit bananas on that front currently.

Now relaxing with the hounds.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    sungod said:

...the fat fad :(

What's wrong with fat?! Cushty. I run Vittoria 27c's. Fat.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed. Finished fettling the 2 bikes I had to do, sent a message to say they're done. Ordered a load of cables from the Cycle Surgery closing down sale, I'll go through them in no time at the current rate. I think I might start buying workshop packs of 100 inners.
    I should send H³ a message to see if he's replaced his headset yet, I saw he was out riding on Wednesday. Need to see if he wants the small Giant for his lad before I stick it on the Bay of shite.
    I haven't ridden in nearly 5 weeks now, I think I need to get back to the quacks as I tried to test ride a bike just now and couldn't put any weight on my wrist. Getting seriously hacked off with it. I had to ask the boy to use the chain splitting tool for me as I couldn't manage that either.
    Lad was working in the pub last night, said drunks can't cope with social distancing, had to fend off 3 people trying to hug him at various points. I asked if they were pretty, he said they were all men in their 30's getting over emotional having been back in a pub.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

sungod said:

27.5x2.4 here
  • pinno

pinno said:

sungod said:

27.5x2.4 here
    Don't tell me, tell that Sungod bloke. Perhaps fatter tyres, more compliance, less punctures?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

I haven't ridden in nearly 5 weeks now, I think I need to get back to the quacks as I tried to test ride a bike just now and couldn't put any weight on my wrist. Getting seriously hacked off with it. I had to ask the boy to use the chain splitting tool for me as I couldn't manage that either.
    Lad was working in the pub last night, said drunks can't cope with social distancing, had to fend off 3 people trying to hug him at various points. I asked if they were pretty, he said they were all men in their 30's getting over emotional having been back in a pub.

Feeling litigious as well V?

Our local (well one of them) has a beer garden at the back and is at the end of a really narrow back street that almost no cars go down so everyone was outside and spaced out quite well. That said, it is more of a trad (read oldies) pub.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

pinno said:

sungod said:

27.5x2.4 here
    Don't tell me, tell that Sungod bloke. Perhaps fatter tyres, more compliance, less punctures?
    Fatter, softer and harder to damage. A bit like me at the moment.
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

We talking Sumo or Michelin man here.

Captain Continental
  • pinno
    That snookered you Oxo.
  • pinno
    Driving the accelerated raping of the earth's resources. Huge open cast mines for Bauxite, Lithium, Cadmium etc

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Stevo_666 said:

Feeling litigious as well V?

Before I knew how long this would be dragging on for I asked if he just wanted to pay for the repair rather than me go through his insurance company, he got arsey so I got on to BC's legal people. They are going for everything of course. Bike repair estimate is into 4 figures and it's still below the independent valuation. I would have taken just the cost of the frame repair off him which he may have been better off paying as that was just over £600, depending on his excess and no claims of course.
    Having driven that way a few times now I don't believe for a moment he didn't know I was there, he just thought he could cut in front of me to join the queue of traffic, complete and total C U next Tuesday.