Unpopular Opinions

A place to get your unpopular opinions off your chest.

I would suggest not taking any too seriously as, y'know, they're gonna be unpopular.

Anyway, I'll start.
  • Pubs are a bit sh!t, and bars are actually much better.

• Cake is vastly inferior to pastry.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    This thread could get feisty. Perhaps we should clarify that the unpopular opinions should at least be legal.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    Leaving the EU.

Popular in the electorate, unpopular with the Wokey Dokeys
  • First.Aspect
    I've got a brilliant one.

Cycling on TV is boring.

It really is.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Trump, he's great!

Boris, a great leader and a brilliant mind

Covid 19, the roads and air quality are much better.

I'd still shag Liz Truss

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

A place to get your unpopular opinions off your chest.

I would suggest not taking any too seriously as, y'know, they're gonna be unpopular.

Anyway, I'll start.

• Pubs are a bit sh!t, and bars are actually much better.

• Cake is vastly inferior to pastry.
    You could have just posted links to the other threads in here where you post stuff ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

This thread could get feisty. Perhaps we should clarify that the unpopular opinions should at least be legal.

And not all that serious...!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The "Z Vetements" jersey was utter gash.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    edited July 2020
    Nothing new here: coffee should be banned, umbrellas strictly regulated, national jerseys only in the relevant country (pro race view) and table service is inconvenient and a sign a pub is nearing its end
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    "Your opinion is important to me."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 said:

Reasoning? :)
  • rick_chasey

Nothing new here: coffee should be banned, umbrellas strictly regulated, national jerseys only in the relevant country (pro race view) and table service is inconvenient and a sign a pub is nearing its end

Talk me through the problem with coffee.
  • TheBigBean

You mean why it should be banned as opposed to me just electing not to drink it?
    1. Other people seem to get lots of enjoyment from it which isn't available to me (yes, petty)
    2. It contaminates things e.g. you buy what you think is a tasty chocolate cake only to discover it is completely inedible, because someone added coffee.
    3. It dramatically reduces the alternative drinks available because the menus are full of coffee variants

There's probably more
  • rick_chasey
    Both!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

It looks like a kid designed it. There are many pro jerseys that haven't had anyone with a design qualification anywhere near them. But that's the worst.

See AG2R or Radioshack-Leopard for how it should be done.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

It looks like a kid designed it.
    There could be a good reason for that. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    French food is inferior to a lot of other countries: Portugal, Italy, Vietnam, Korea, and many more.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Ben6899 said:

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169

Ha! - I read that like you were offering to listen to the problem while having a coffee.
  • rick_chasey

French food is inferior to a lot of other countries: Portugal, Italy, Vietnam, Korea, and many more.

YES, THIS IS THE KIND OF CONTENT I WAS HOPING FOR.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Phil Taylor is one of the world's greatest ever sportsmen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

You mean why it should be banned as opposed to me just electing not to drink it?
    1. Other people seem to get lots of enjoyment from it which isn't available to me (yes, petty)
    2. It contaminates things e.g. you buy what you think is a tasty chocolate cake only to discover it is completely inedible, because someone added coffee.
    3. It dramatically reduces the alternative drinks available because the menus are full of coffee variants

There's probably more
    I like coffee, but I agree with you on points 2 and 3. I like coffee not coffee flavoured things.
    I very much agree with you about umbrellas and French food.
    Table service in pubs is about to become more common of course, not sure how long it will last.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711

YES, THIS IS THE KIND OF CONTENT I WAS HOPING FOR.
    Not sure that opinion will prove too unpopular though,
  • rick_chasey

V surprised you put Portugal in there. Was deeply unimpressed when I was there.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,125
    I love Portugal, but I would not say a reason to visit is its food.

But I do like a good translated menu.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

There's probably more
    I like coffee, but I agree with you on points 2 and 3. I like coffee not coffee flavoured things.
    I very much agree with you about umbrellas and French food.
    Table service in pubs is about to become more common of course, not sure how long it will last.
    I think we should move away from the idea that you "have to like coffee" leading to all the nonsense available at CostBucks. If you don't like a cappucino for breakfast, then espresso or flat whites after that, that's fine, have something else.

If you "coffee" requires a further descriptor (vanilla, extra hot, frapa-, mocha-, pumpkin-) then you don't like coffee. Have something else, it's ok!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Football is a load of sh1te and gets far too much air time on mainstream news and radio programs.
    Formula one is boring sh1te.
    Music festivals are sh1te unless you like queueing, unsanitary toilets, expensive food and drinks and camping in mud and having to watch any of the decent bands on a screen cos the stage is 4 miles away.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

I love Portugal, but I would not say a reason to visit is its food.

But I do like a good translated menu.

In Peru you could order Black Jungle Cake

more commonly known as Black Forest Gateau
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    edited July 2020
    Weddings, the full day long ones with ceremony, reception and evening disco...rarely worth it. I have total respect for couples who eschew this nonsense for a very small low key event.
  • First.Aspect

Weddings, the full day long ones with ceremony, reception and evening disco...rarely worth it. I have total respect for couples who eschew this nonsense for a very small low key event.

I did exactly this, and then had a stonking honeymoon.

I can't have any sympathy for people who dress up like a penguin and a lampshade (respectively), spend a healthy deposit for a house on a single day then complain about the price of housing.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Certainly with you on that.
    Some years back mentioned to Mrs and Miss BM that instead of paying for a big do, it would make more sense if we just gave her a cheque to help set up the marital home.

Certainly an unpopular opinion in our house, as I soon was made aware.