Help to upgrade

good day need to renew a bike canyon grand canyon all 3.9 2016, would it be shimano slx m7100 1x12? https://www.bike-discount.de/en/warenkorb/detail
and the bottom bracket is not clear to me
little know about bikes i would like advice

Comments

• ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I would say if you know little about bikes it would be best to go to your local bike shop and speak to them. I’m pretty sure they will let you know all you need to know because it sounds like when you get the stuff you ordered you are going to need someone to put it on for you eg your local bike shop.
    I know this has not helped with the upgrade advice but it’s a start.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 295
    The link which you provided does not work as it is your shopping basket.
    Aside from not knowing what BB you currently have, you may also need to consider if your freehub is compatible. The Shimano 12-speed cassette uses a microspline freehub. Sram NX Eagle cassette uses a standard shimano freehub so could be a direct replacement for your current cassette. The Sram GX Eagle cassette and above uses an XD freehub.
  • The link which you provided does not work as it is your shopping basket.
    Aside from not knowing what BB you currently have, you may also need to consider if your freehub is compatible. The Shimano 12-speed cassette uses a microspline freehub. Sram NX Eagle cassette uses a standard shimano freehub so could be a direct replacement for your current cassette. The Sram GX Eagle cassette and above uses an XD freehub.

thx hub max 10 :/
  • Description: COMPONENTS
    FRAME CANYON GRAND CANYON AL
    FORK ROCKSHOX XC 30
    REAR DERAILLEUR SHIMANO DEORE SHADOW 9S
    DERAILLEUR HANGER DERAILLEUR HANGER NO. 30
    FRONT DERAILLEUR SHIMANO ALIVIO 9S
    SHIFTERS SHIMANO ALIVIO 9S
    BRAKES SHIMANO BR-M355
    HUBS SHIMANO RM35
    CASSETTE SHIMANO ALIVIO 9S
    RIMS ALEX MD21
    CRANKS SHIMANO ALIVIO 9S
    CHAINRINGS 40-30-22
    CHAIN KMC X9-93
    BOTTOM BRACKET SHIMANO BSA
    STEM IRIDIUM 3-0
    HANDLEBAR IRIDIUM 3-0 FLATBAR
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2020
    You would be better off with this 1x11 groupset with the 11-42 or 11-46 cassette and shifter with the clamp option.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/SLX-M7000-1x11-32-Groupset-p65605/

Then buy any Shimano Hollowtech II BSA 68/73 threaded external bottom bracket which will work with your bike.

As already stated the 1x12 option you linked will need a new rear wheel/hub with a Microspline freehub for the cassette to fit to.

Your freehub doesn't have a max of 10 and will fit Shimano 11 speed cassettes, most other 11 and 12 speed cassettes just not the one you linked!

Also think it's a great idea to take previous good advice, buy this upgrade, new bottom bracket and take them to a local bike shop to fit for you, seeing as you 'little know about bikes'.
  • you say you will need to change not only the freehub but also the whole wheel if I want 12?
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    No. I advised you of the best, cheapest and simplest option would be to buy a 1x11 groupset and fit it straight onto the wheel you have now.

I pointed out that for the 12 speed cassette you would need either a new wheel or hub (wheel/hub) with a Microspline fitted or that can be retrofitted with one as the Shimano hub you have now can't be fitted with a Microspline freehub.

One option is to buy a hub with a Microspline freehub already fitted then pay someone to remove the old hub and totally rebuild your wheel around the new hub. This will cost around £150-£200 I would estimate.

Another option is to buy a new wheel that is ready to go with the suitable hub and freehub already fitted which will cost around £150-£200 too.

But hay, it's your money and maybe it's worth it to you to have a 12 speed instead of 11 on a bike that's worth a lot less than the upgraded groupset you plan to fit to it.
  • FH-M7130-B
    SHIMANO SLX - Rear FREEHUB - MICRO SPLINE - CENTER LOCK - Disc Brake - 157x12 mm E-THRU Axle - 12-speed

Compatible with 12-speed MICRO SPLINE cassettes.

Faster acceleration amplifies riding excitement
    Smaller spline diameter for 10T top gear by MICRO SPLINE
    Simple setup and reliable trail performance
    Easy disc brake rotor installation with spline mount and lock ring
    CENTER LOCK
    12 mm E-THRU axle
    Stiffer rear wheel option
    Extra wide O.L.D. spec: 157 mm
    here are three choices here one of them
    with detail and spoke changes will not cost me more than 100eu
    just wondering how about the brake disc or the old one will still fit?
  • the variant is also not so bad I don't understand about the display without disc brake
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-slx-1x11-speed-m7000-group-11-46-without-disc-brakes-671490
  • reaperactual
    Without disc brakes means it's a five piece groupset that doesn't include the braking system, just the drivetrain components.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020

FH-M7130-B
    SHIMANO SLX - Rear FREEHUB - MICRO SPLINE - CENTER LOCK - Disc Brake - 157x12 mm E-THRU Axle - 12-speed

Compatible with 12-speed MICRO SPLINE cassettes.

Faster acceleration amplifies riding excitement
    Smaller spline diameter for 10T top gear by MICRO SPLINE
    Simple setup and reliable trail performance
    Easy disc brake rotor installation with spline mount and lock ring
    CENTER LOCK
    12 mm E-THRU axle
    Stiffer rear wheel option
    Extra wide O.L.D. spec: 157 mm
    here are three choices here one of them
    with detail and spoke changes will not cost me more than 100eu
    just wondering how about the brake disc or the old one will still fit?

Don't worry about your brake discs, they will fit this hub. 👍

This hub won't fit your bike, not even close!😭😭😭

Highly recommended you go to a local bike shop and discuss your options with them as ed1973 said in the first place.
  • reaperactual
    edited July 2020
    This will help you understand what hub you will need for your bike:-

https://youtu.be/Xg0Di54IKwI