Fitting Continental GP5000TL’s to Prime RR50 wheels

I’ve just had a very difficult time fitting Continental GP5000TL tyres to brand new Prime RR50 wheels. The first bead was difficult to fit but I managed it by hand, just. The second bead was impossible to fit by hand. The problem seemed to be that the first bead fitted sat partially in the well of the rim preventing the second bead going into the well to allow lever free fitting. My wife kindly helped me (she’s a keen cyclist who’s changed loads of tyres herself, so understood the frustration I was feeling) by holding one of the three tyre levers we ended up using. I held a second lever with one hand and used a third lever (a broad, flat Schwalbe plastic lever) to lever the bead over the rim. Each time I managed to lever another few millimetres of bead over the rim my wife advanced the lever she was using up to the Schwalbe lever. I then slid the Schwalbe lever a few millimetres towards the other lever I was holding and repeated the process. This took ages and we both slipped several times before the tyre finally went onto the rim. I tried washing liquid and water, which didn’t seem to help and then GT85, just to help to slide the levers; I was desperate! I broke one tyre lever and managed to chip (it’s very small but I know I’ve done it!) one rim on the inside. I usually just read the posts submitted by others but this is the worst experience we have ever had fitting tyres! I have read posts on particular combinations of rims and tyres and my combination is definitely difficult! I’m now looking for tips to remove the tyres when this finally (in a long long time I hope!) has to happen.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    They are very difficult to fit. Theoretically, they should be easier to remove when the time comes because the bead will have been stretched out slightly by having been mounted to the wheels. I don't think I'll be getting another set. The Hutchinson Fusion 5s I have on other wheels are a lot easier to fit, and give fantastic performance.
  • I think there's a recent discussion thread in the Workshop folder that touches on similar...........😩😤😡
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Try one of those koolstop tyre mate contraptions? I tie to my mini pump and keep in a back pocket. They are good.

FWIW, and I know it's different as not tubeless, but I can get GP5000 clinchers onto Prime RP50s and Prime Black edition 60mm rims with just fingers & thumbs, and I emphatically do not have a mechanic's hand strength!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    wot Hopkinb said

rovals + GP5000 = refitting is just with fingers, thumbs and a bit of technique off youtube

One of the reasons I haven't taken up tubeless tyres is due to the fact of fitting tight rubber onto carbon rims.

A tip i heard from the TrainerRoad forum was to heat the tyre with a hairdryer, failing that let the LBS sort it.

That said they are an excellent tyre and i prefer these to my much loved and cherished S works cotton tyres.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    It was an ordeal to get my GP5000 TL's onto my carbon rims but I managed it.
    They have a much larger bead than other tubeless tyres which I think is part of the issue, it's also why they can't be used on hookless rims.

Not had any issues with either Hutchinson Fusion 5's and Schwalbe Pro Ones on the same rims.

I have had to remove them since and it was much easier, once they're on the rim they do stretch out a bit.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Prime wheels and GP5000's are a very tight fit. I found the large 'Fat Spanner' tyre leavers and loads of soapy water did the trick.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited July 2020
    Another reason why I’m not convinced about road tubeless yet. When all rims and tyres are made to a universal standard that means I can get them on and off without swearing lots I might be interested. Until then I’m happy with tubes and roughly two punctures a year...

PP
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    With a tyre this tight, in the event you had to put a tube in, it's going to be a pain.

I contributed to another GP5000 thread over in Road General. I've moved mine to a pair of 15C Ambrosio rims on some handbuilts. They go on by hand. I know they're slightly different to GP5000TL.

But it's all about the combinations.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    "With a tyre this tight, in the event you had to put a tube in, it's going to be a pain."

The thing is you shouldn't be putting a tube in, they are "tubeless" use worms to fix punctures that the sealant doesn't seal.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    yellowv2 said:

"With a tyre this tight, in the event you had to put a tube in, it's going to be a pain."

The thing is you shouldn't be putting a tube in, they are "tubeless" use worms to fix punctures that the sealant doesn't seal.

Key word is "shouldn't", I guess.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I actually did give up trying to fit Conti GP5000TL to my alloy tubeless rims. I had no issues getting the hutchinsons or Vittoria Corsa to fit though. There’s no way I’m risking trying to get the Contis over my decent Carbon rims.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Fitted the 25mm GP5000 to my rear Hunt Aero Disc Light on Sunday, very similar to experience with 23mm on front, gathered slack by hand to fit final ~12" of bead over the rim.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Keen to hear any tricks as I have Prime wheels and 5000TLs and need to change the front soon...
  • sam.cockerill76rBGyGR
    edited April 2021
    I used a chunky cable tie and plastic hand clamp to prevent one side of the bead edge from popping out as I worked the other. Pause once you get a decent amount of tension on the bead to let the bead find its fit in the tyre well on the other side. I didn't use any soap etc. but had the tyre and bead wetted with sealant (added when the tyre was 80% fitted) which works as both lubricant and seal. The force on the levers (Park tools) was moderate, far less than would be required to break the levers or damage the rim.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    There's no particular good or bad tyre/wheel combination. Both have manufacturing tolerances and if you are unlucky, you'll end up with a particularly loose or a particularly tight combination, regardless of brand.

Smallest circumference is normally in the centre of the rim, above the ends of the spokes. That is where you want the tyre bead to sit in order to give you as much slack as possible on the part you are trying to pry over the lip.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I had to soak my TL's in boiling hot water then they went on using the "between the knees" method to stop the part I had got on from coming off.
  • Notsobob
    Notsobob Posts: 9
    I had very similar problems fitting to Mavic ksyriums. Snapped levers, scratched rims and knuckles. Even tried warming them up in the green house In the end I binned them for fusion 5's that were very easy to fit.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    Kool stop tyre bead jack, plus the blue flat schwalbe tyre levers did the trick for me on this combo.

There might not be such a thing as a bad combo...but the beads on the tubeless version of this tyre are pretty fat compared with the non tubeless version, which seemed to make it more difficult to sit the tyre nicely in the centre of them rim to maximise the slack.
  • vegas76
    I think these tyres are a fcker to fit. Really struggled to fit them to my hunt limitless wheels.
  • Got to agree with the comments that GP5000TL are absolute barstewards to fit. I broke three levers trying to refit to Zipp 30's. The tyres are great when fitted, fast rolling but I won't get them again. Al suggestions gratefully received.
  • vegas76

Got to agree with the comments that GP5000TL are absolute barstewards to fit. I broke three levers trying to refit to Zipp 30's. The tyres are great when fitted, fast rolling but I won't get them again. Al suggestions gratefully received.

They are brilliant when fitted... But I won't even bother to take roadside repair gear cycling as I can't see myself being able to fit a tube in the even of a puncture.

Roll on those vittoria airliners.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I had no issues getting them on DT Swiss PR1400s.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    vegas76 said:

Got to agree with the comments that GP5000TL are absolute barstewards to fit. I broke three levers trying to refit to Zipp 30's. The tyres are great when fitted, fast rolling but I won't get them again. Al suggestions gratefully received.

They are brilliant when fitted... But I won't even bother to take roadside repair gear cycling as I can't see myself being able to fit a tube in the even of a puncture.

Hah, can you imagine trying to fit a super tight tyre with the insert filling up the centre of the rim? That would be impossible.

In my experience the 5000 TL's were very hard to initially fit but once used they stretched out a bit meaning they weren't that hard to remove and refit. Never had to put a tube in one though as I repaired them using worms.
  • vegas76

vegas76 said:

Hah, can you imagine trying to fit a super tight tyre with the insert filling up the centre of the rim? That would be impossible.

In my experience the 5000 TL's were very hard to initially fit but once used they stretched out a bit meaning they weren't that hard to remove and refit. Never had to put a tube in one though as I repaired them using worms.
    No qualms admitting I'd take it into the lbs to have the airliners fitted ;)

I'll have to look at worms... But then you have to carry a pump and that's a lot of hassle.

I'm not going to tempt fate and say its unlikely I'll get a puncture tubeless... But definitely less likely than tubed.

Watch me moan next week...
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I had 25 and 28c gp5000 TL on alu easton tubless rims. Both very hard to fit - I put each in the tumble dryer for 10 mins and a bit of soapy water to fit - I use 1 tyre lever to finish sitting the last bit. Same issue with Giant Carbon clincher rims. But can mostly pump them up with a standard track pump and they do stretch a little over time making it easier to fit a tube if needed on the road. But agree they need to make the dia bigger.