Big Trouble with not so Little China..πŸ‡­πŸ‡°πŸ’› / πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³πŸ˜‘

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
Beijing imposing their paranoid autocratic laws.
Impending exodus of HK residents.
Are UK still going to buy Huwai kit? Donald Trump mouthing off yet again about China.
And not forgetting Coronavirus.
It could all be building up to something, but what?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
Β«13456

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    More serious discussions ahoy. I think I'll just go and watch that episode of 'Father Ted' where he tries to build bridges with the Chinese community on Craggy Island.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited July 2020
    It's sad to see what is happening in Hong Kong, in the past it has been one of my favourite places in the world to visit but I doubt the old Hong Kong that I know and enjoyed will ever be back.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    mr_goo said:

Are UK still going to buy Huwai kit? Donald Trump mouthing off yet again about China.

I bet half the landfill $h1te you buy is made in China!? So in other words, kick off when your greenhouse is made of British made armoured glass!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    What do our Brexsh!t fanbois think of the prospect of 3m Chinese (sorry HongKong) people immigrating into the dUK?

Suppose it would stop Wayne and Waynetta Slob having to get off their fat arrises and having to go work in the crop fields.
  • mr_goo
    edited July 2020

mr_goo said:

I bet half the landfill $h1te you buy is made in China!? So in other words, kick off when your greenhouse is made of British made armoured glass!
    Was I kicking off? As you call it. Thought I just made a few bullet point observations of the Chinese centric news.

I'm genuinely interested to hear peoples opinion of the growing crisis in HK and the muscle flexing of Beijing, both in the ex UK territory and elsewhere. ie; the ongoing dispute with Oz, how China is essentially colonising Africa.
    First off I'm greatly concerned with the Huwai G5 contract. It will pose a threat to national security and to our private lives.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • focuszing723
    $h1t, I bet even this drivel you're typing is from a laptop or phone made in China.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    orraloon said:

What do our Brexsh!t fanbois think of the prospect of 3m Chinese (sorry HongKong) people immigrating into the dUK?

Vote Leave, led by our fearless PM Boris Johnson, promised a new immigration system and here it is!
    Inviting roughly the same number of Hong Kong as EU citizens who are currently resident in the UK, to balance things up.
    Not quite what Brexitier folk were expecting, but never mind.
    Onwards and downwards.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon said:

Suppose it would stop Wayne and Waynetta Slob having to get off their fat arrises and having to go work in the crop fields.

Going to pi$$ on your chips again :smiley:

It is not the way I would want it to work out for the people of Hong Kong but they are welcome if they want to come to the UK. Why would we not want a highly educated, culturally advanced people from Hong Kong to improve the UK?
    Maybe we can send you, Chick Racey and Berkshire Commuter in the opposite direction. A double bonus :smiley:

Thanks to Brexit we also have some immigration breathing space with fewer people from the EU arriving :wink:
  • Unfortunately while we need PPE and other critical items from China all we can do is offer the people of Hong Kong residency in the UK. Scotland has plenty of space and it would improve the demographic there.

Once we have got the capacity to produce all the essentials in the UK eg PPE, I would then cut-off China and block any imports from them. IPhones and anything else produced in China would quickly start production somewhere else to sell into the UK market. Once the manufacturing move has started the rest of the world can follow and eventually cut off China. That is the only way the Chinese leadership will learn when it hurts them in the pocket.

I suspect the only reason we have not dumped Huawei is because we have a reliance on Chinese manufacturing.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

$h1t, I bet even this drivel you're typing is from a laptop or phone made in China.

Wait until he finds out about the nuclear power stations
  • surrey_commuter

Unfortunately while we need PPE and other critical items from China all we can do is offer the people of Hong Kong residency in the UK. Scotland has plenty of space and it would improve the demographic there.

Once we have got the capacity to produce all the essentials in the UK eg PPE, I would then cut-off China and block any imports from them. IPhones and anything else produced in China would quickly start production somewhere else to sell into the UK market. Once the manufacturing move has started the rest of the world can follow and eventually cut off China. That is the only way the Chinese leadership will learn when it hurts them in the pocket.

I suspect the only reason we have not dumped Huawei is because we have a reliance on Chinese manufacturing.

Can we have the other Coopster back? You need to suck the suckers in, not just go for the eye swivelling lunacy of Apple establishing a factory just to sell phones to the UK
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Will the new apple factory have a section that affixes wings to pigs too?

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    It is worth noting that when Deng Xiaoping and Thatcher were negotiating the terms of Hong Kong's handover, Deng is supposed to have said he didn't see the point of negotiating, he could just take Hong Kong whenever he wanted. Thatcher replied to this by saying that yes, he could, but he would also destroy any of the value of Hong Kong in so doing.

Feels like modern day China has forgotten this bit.
  • mr_goo
    Any chance we can steer clear of personal insults and have some decent discussion please.
  • Jeremy.89 said:

I doubt the Apple factory would be in the UK but the critical part is that it would not be in China.

If Chinese exports into the UK were blocked Apple would very quickly make the required changes to have its products selling in the UK.
  • Jeremy.89
    To be fair it's perfectly valid to be concerned about China and have to have a smart phone, that will almost certainly have something to do with China.

IIRC the UK used to have leading telecoms companies, but lost out to China who had heavy government investment as they saw it as a strategically important industry.

I don't think it's realistic to think that the UK is in a position to impact China though, not without back up from our allies either in the US or the EU. Donald's China game is based on him not wanting to admit that the US isn't the sole superpower anymore and we are currently doing everything we can to pee off the EU.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    mr_goo said:

Any chance we can steer clear of personal insults and have some decent discussion please.

The mask slipped when you mentioned the dispute with the convicts.
    I see you got the ball rolling on decency by tidying that up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020
    mr_goo said:

Well, your premise (could it be a building up to something, but what?) is just a combination of lazy headlines to attract attention from the feckless.

Like I already said, it would be helpful if you weren't sat in shrine to China whilst typing this
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

Going to pi$$ on your chips again :smiley:

Missed again Botster. I never eat chips. (I am trying to remember the last time I bought chips, thinking 20 years and counting...) Anyway, you must have pixxed on someone else's. Oh look, there is a rather irate and rather large Chinese gentleman heading your way, and looks like he has some pals with him as well...
  • Unfortunately while we need PPE and other critical items from China all we can do is offer the people of Hong Kong residency in the UK. Scotland has plenty of space and it would improve the demographic there.

Can we have the other Coopster back? You need to suck the suckers in, not just go for the eye swivelling lunacy of Apple establishing a factory just to sell phones to the UK
    Apple sold Β£6.3bn worth of iPhones into the UK in each of the last 3 years. You really must be cr@p at your job if you think even a company like Apple would give up that revenue/profit, never mind their other products.

It's not like there are other phone manufacturers who would not jump at the chance of even 10% of that sales revenue.
  • Jeremy.89

Jeremy.89 said:

I doubt the Apple factory would be in the UK but the critical part is that it would not be in China.

If Chinese exports into the UK were blocked Apple would very quickly make the required changes to have its products selling in the UK.
    Where buys more iPhones, the UK or China?

Which market is still seeing an increasing number of Middle class citizens?
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    Jeremy.89 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Where buys more iPhones, the UK or China?

Which market is still seeing an increasing number of Middle class citizens?
    It does not matter that China buys iPhones, Apple would quickly manufacture them outside of China to maintain sales into the UK market. I suspect that if we took the lead with this a number of other countries would quickly follow eg Australia so it would harm China but not Apple.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Disappointing level of discussion on this.
  • mr_goo
    edited July 2020
    Disappointing that the topic has descended into materialism supply chain issues rather than discussing the geopolitical crisis that is happening in the SE Asia region.
    A friend of mine has a son living in Taiwan. They're deeply worried for his safety as the Chinese navy are building up strength in the Taiwan straits. Could this be the next flash point? The West certainly don't help in this instance as they do not recognise Taiwan.

• focuszing723
    Your disappointment should be the fact that the Wests consumerist laziness has created this power shift predicament. What technology product are you using to type this Gooey?

Don't forget the Internet relys on millions of Chinese made servers, router, cables, monitors...to afford you this communication luxury Gooey! Are you going to take a stance and stop using it?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    mr_goo said:

Disappointing that the topic has descended into materialism supply chain issues rather than discussing the geopolitical crisis that is happening in the SE Asia region.
    A friend of mine has a son living in Taiwan. They're deeply worried for his safety as the Chinese navy are building up strength in the Taiwan straits. Could this be the next flash point? The West certainly don't help in this instance as they do not recognise Taiwan.

People in Hong Kong have known for over 23 years that this day was coming.
    If I had been living there then, I wouldn't be living there today.
    Best to take action before it is too late and mobility is restricted.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,234

It is worth noting that when Deng Xiaoping and Thatcher were negotiating the terms of Hong Kong's handover, Deng is supposed to have said he didn't see the point of negotiating, he could just take Hong Kong whenever he wanted. Thatcher replied to this by saying that yes, he could, but he would also destroy any of the value of Hong Kong in so doing.

I am biased to help me out here. HK is basically the main β€œfree” financial centre for China without capital controls, so if that goes it basically gives up its USP, right?

Singapore will continue to benefit and will presumably become the new Asian #1 for FS in due course - because people don’t mind *that* dictator.
  • surrey_commuter

I am biased to help me out here. HK is basically the main β€œfree” financial centre for China without capital controls, so if that goes it basically gives up its USP, right?

Singapore will continue to benefit and will presumably become the new Asian #1 for FS in due course - because people don’t mind *that* dictator.
    It is not as if we liked democracy when we owned HK
  • surrey_commuter
    mr_goo said:

Your neighbours should buy a few books on Taiwan and after they have finished you should borrow them.