SPD M520 vs 530

I've just bought a new commuter/gravel/fun bike, now looking at pedal options. I'm used to SPD-SL for road riding, but figured for getting to work SPD's would be better so I don't have to walk across the carpark like Bambi on ice every day.

Is there much difference with the cage on the 530's? Does it provide any noticeable extra support compared to the bare mechanism of the 520's? Or is it more there just for impact protection out on trails?

Or does anyone have any other recommendations for a decent all round SPD pedal?

:smile:

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I use SPD A520 pedals.
    They are single sided and the surrounding cage does provide more support for your feet.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I wouldn't bother with the M530. Some SPD shoes have less stiff soles which require an added platform to not be painful. This will be sold as allowing for easier walking, but I find walking with stiff soles easy enough (far easier than with SPD-SL or Look cleats), and with stiff soles you don't need the support of the cage.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    edited June 2020
    I've got some Shimano PD-EH500 SPD pedals which are SPD one side and flat the other. It means I can still ride with regular shoes for when I go out with my friends on their MTB's - but might be helpful for you as well.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As someone said, mainly depends on how flexy your sole are, if they are really stiff then you wont notice the extra support. They are also a little easier pulling away from stops as you dont necessarily need to clip in straight away or fully as you can still pedal in a sub-optimal way if you know you are stopping again for example or of you miss the mechanism with first attempt. I actually like the M530s but I could live with the 520s if I had to.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    A cage is unnecessary IMO.

I must say that I prefer the 540's though, a hex key to fit/remove pedals is less annoying than using a pedal spanner. Apparently the bearings are better as well.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Currently rocking a pair of Boardman MTB pro pedals on my winter trainer (M520s on commuter).
    Close copy of Shimano M540s, drops a useful 150grams vs a pair of M520s and are £26 before BC discount at Halfords. Hex key to fit/remove, look considerably sleeker than M520s on a road bike too. I doubt they will last as long as a pair of M520s but what does.

No need for cages, just get decent shoes.
  • Turns out a mate has a pair of 530's in his box of bits that he's currently not using, so they're going on my bike for a bit to see how I get on with them :smile: