Which pressure washer for most economical water consumption?

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited June 2020 in Workshop
Hi everyone,

I’ve finally started cleaning my bikes more regularly, and am looking to buy a pressure washer to do this more quickly. However, none of the reviewing sites seem to mention how economical the pressure washers are when it comes to their water consumption.

I’ve look at portable ones with an onboard tank (Mobi V-17 etc), but not sure how economical these are compared with standard ones that connect to the mains water, which might also be able to offer a greater amount of pressure settings etc.

Has anyone looked into this and found one (or a few) to be better than others? Apologies for such a dull post 😂👌

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    ⚠️Do not use pressure washers on a bike!⚠️ High pressure washers can force water and grime into bearings, headsets, bottom brackets and hubs causing pre mature wear! Garden hose on a sprinkle setting with soap and sponge is safest method.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A sponge and a bucket of water is quick enough..
    Pro mechanics do have jet washers but they have 8 or 9 bikes to clean each day and will be rebuilding them often.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Hi everyone,

I’ve finally started cleaning my bikes more regularly, and am looking to buy a pressure washer to do this more quickly. However, none of the reviewing sites seem to mention how economical the pressure washers are when it comes to their water consumption.

I’ve look at portable ones with an onboard tank (Mobi V-17 etc), but not sure how economical these are compared with standard ones that connect to the mains water, which might also be able to offer a greater amount of pressure settings etc.

Has anyone looked into this and found one (or a few) to be better than others? Apologies for such a dull post 😂👌

Any pressure washer you are looking at should be able to quote air pressure and pump flow rate - so establishing water usage should be fairly straightforward.

Having said that - for all the reasons stated above - a pressure washer is simply not necessary. For bicycle purposes, you should be able to get all the pressure you need from a garden hose with a decent spray gun attachment. A simple bucket and sponge will use the least amount of water - and be just as effective - if water consumption is a concern.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Pressure washers use less water than a garden hose- they increase water pressure not flow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I found out the hard way that even garden hose pressure is enough to rinse out bearings. Bucket and sponge only now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    masjer said:

Pressure washers use less water than a garden hose- they increase water pressure not flow.

Haha! Seriously? Tell my garden that after I’ve pressure washed my paving. Pressure is up and so is flow rate.

I’d not point my pressure washer anywhere near my bike. Sandstone paving, brickwork and car suspension carefully but never the bike.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• reaperactual
    oxoman said:

To be honest that's not disputed, what's also not disputed is that pressure washers can and do wreck bearings. Most of us have used these pressure washers and are trying to advise th OP that having found out the hard way.

Add me to the list of finding out the hard way!😭
  • photonic69
    masjer said:

Haha! Seriously? Tell my garden that after I’ve pressure washed my paving. Pressure is up and so is flow rate.

I’d not point my pressure washer anywhere near my bike. Sandstone paving, brickwork and car suspension carefully but never the bike.

• Ok. Thanks for the comments so far. I’m not talking about an especially high pressure though. I’m talking about ones specifically designed with a more careful pressure for bikes etc, like the Mobi V-17.

Sure... if you use a pressure washer at a paint-stripping level of pressure, that’s going to be pretty silly, it surely a low-pressure one would be ok.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Knock yourself out and get one. Boost the economy by not only buying something you don’t need, but shouldn’t use. Become one of us enlightened at a later date.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    Hmmm. Bucket or £100 pressure washer.

Seriously just get the bucket and stop looking for a shortcut. It takes hardly any time at all.

Your washer got 2/5 on a bike radar review btw.
  • reaperactual
    Yeah, it's only advice, get one, blast away!👍👍
  • imposter2.0

Ok. Thanks for the comments so far. I’m not talking about an especially high pressure though. I’m talking about ones specifically designed with a more careful pressure for bikes etc, like the Mobi V-17.

Sure... if you use a pressure washer at a paint-stripping level of pressure, that’s going to be pretty silly, it surely a low-pressure one would be ok.

If it's low pressure you're after, then either use a garden hose or a bucket. The point about something like the Mobi is its portability. As far as I'm aware, its only a 12v system, so you'll probably do a better job with the above-mentioned garden hose. If you don't need 'pressure', then you don't need a pressure washer.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Always good to see the same old pish has been dragged out,

If you intend to power wash directly into the bearings then yeah - not wise.

If you intend to clean your bike responsibly there are no issues with using a power washer.

• christiandransfield
    edited June 2020
    -
  • imposter2.0

Always good to see the same old pish has been dragged out,

If you intend to power wash directly into the bearings then yeah - not wise.

If you intend to clean your bike responsibly there are no issues with using a power washer.

I’m starting to agree with you mate. It was only a question, and the sarcastic answers have already been posted in their droves 😂🙈

I’ve posted on a different group instead, where they might give me some useful advice, instead of being shirty with me for asking a genuine question 🤦‍♂️
    I can't see any 'shirty' answers here - feel free to call them out. But if you only wanted people to agree with you, then you should have said...

• fenix
    I'm not on a water meter but I reckon you can probably buy a lot of water for the price of the jetwasher ?

How much is water from a meter ?
  • reaperactual
    Low pressure and be careful, why didn't I think of that?
  • imposter2.0

Low pressure and be careful, why didn't I think of that?

It seems so obvious now it's been mentioned ;)
  • Low pressure and be careful, why didn't I think of that?

From your experience, would you recommend any in particular for the above use then?
  • reaperactual
    Yeah, from experience
    I won't be using this icon ⚠️ anymore.
  • christiandransfield
    edited June 2020

Yeah, from experience
    I won't be using this icon ⚠️ anymore.

Fair enough. I did take your post in earlier mate. However, I’m looking for more of a portable washer, rather than a garden hose.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I use a garden sprayer on mine, tank holds 5L which should be plenty to clean a bike its hand powered so you pump the pressure you want. Never going to produce enough pressure to worry bearings.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sx-cs5-white-black-pressure-sprayer-5ltr/7490x

Thats the type of thing I have
  • step83 said:

I use a garden sprayer on mine, tank holds 5L which should be plenty to clean a bike its hand powered so you pump the pressure you want. Never going to produce enough pressure to worry bearings.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sx-cs5-white-black-pressure-sprayer-5ltr/7490x

Thats the type of thing I have

Aah awesome. Think I’ll get one of those then. Cheers dude 😎🤘
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited June 2020

masjer said:

Pressure washers use less water. How would your pressure washer use more water than the hose supplies? It doesn't suck water from the mains -this would cause the hose to flatten cutting off supply.
    https://hunker.com/13414529/facts-about-water-consumption-with-power-washers
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited June 2020

Pressure washer for paving? No mate. Rain, stiff brush and washing up liquid. Brings it up a treat (and a good workout too). o:)B)
  • photonic69
    de_sisti said:

Pressure washer for paving? No mate. Rain, stiff brush and washing up liquid. Brings it up a treat (and a good workout too). o:)B)
    Not with mould, lichen and black spot you don't! Tried that. With bleach, Jayes Fluid, hydrogen peroxide. That's why I have a pressure washer. On 2nd one now after 13 years.

• Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up picking up a Karcher OC3 pressure washer locally for £50. Runs off a chargeable battery and a reservoir on top of the main unit. Pressure isn’t too hard, and not too soft. Sorted 😎🤘
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Yet another pointless gadget. Bucket and sponge is the best way to wash a bike and it's the most water efficient too
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yet another pointless gadget. Bucket and sponge is the best way to wash a bike and it's the most water efficient too

I used it to clean my bike yesterday. It used less water, was much quicker, and got mud etc out of every nook and cranny that I wouldn’t have been able to get to without a toothbrush etc. Much easier.