Exchange wheels or change cassette

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my head around groupset interchangeability, but thought i'd reach out for some real world experience.

Basically, I have bought some Campagnolo Zonda's with the Campagnolo hub by accident (i run Shimano).

I already fitted the tyre to the new wheel so i'm not 100% whether i can change them now. So I was thinking to switch from a 9 speed Shimano Cassette to a 9 speed Campagnolo and use the rest of the Shimano system.

From what i've read online, it seen online it seems like this will be possible? But would appreciate any further advice or if people think it's better to try and replace the wheels for the correct one? Or if i did change the cassette are there any other components that would need switching?

Thanks

Euan

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,617
    edited June 2020
    The pull ratio and cog spacings are different between Campag and Shimano. So basically it is all or nothing - shifters, both mechs. The only thing you could possibly get away with keeping is the crankset.

You could try one of these: http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/

Or there are some cassettes that offer Shimano spacing on Campag freehubs, but I think you will struggle to still find this for 9 speed. Best bet would be Miche.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The good thing is that the freehub can be swapped over. It's not that expensive considering the cost of the wheels. It's a very simple DIY job.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Why can you not change them? You haven't ridden them yet...
    left the forum March 2023
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As per above, there is no reason you cannot exchange them for the Shimano ones.
  • euanv
    euanv Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick replies. I read elsewhere that switching the cassette would work, but sounds like it's a no.

I'm waiting to hear about the exchange. All i've done is fitted the tyres and taken the label off. I dunno how they will feel about it.

I spoke to my local bike dealer and he suggested changing the hub, but I thought this would be an expensive job? Doesn't this mean re-building the wheel?

Thanks
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It's only a freehub swap, not the wheel hub. Down the centre of the freehub, with the qr skewer out, you should be able to make out a large hex if it's screwed in; some are just pushed in. Not sure what applies here.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I think it's only with 11 speed groupsets where you can put a Campag cassette onto the wheels and it'll work with a Shimano groupset.
    As mentioned above the spacing and pull ratios are different with other speed groupsets.

The bike shop could change the freehub, it's not the entire hub that needs replacing but it'll still cost you some money for materials and labour so see first if you can exchange the wheels.
  • euanv
    euanv Posts: 3
    Okay, I'm with you. Sounds like that's the fall back if i can't replace them or if shipping is too expensive.

Thanks very much for the support!

Cheers

Euan
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    You can swap the freehub, but that's still 60 quid at the very least
    left the forum March 2023