MTB vs Hybrid

I would like to request some help as to what bike I should buy.

I used to have a MTB that I used recreationally on roads and I pretty much will be inclined to have the same usage although I may be slightly more daring now and ride off road at times once I get myself a new bike.

Bringing me to my question, I've decided to get back into biking after many years of not having used one but I'm unsure of whether I should get a MTB or a hybrid based on my usage. In addition, i'm unsure of which specs are considered good or bad.

Although I would be very pressed to spend my max, it would be £600.

I have seen these bikes and would like to know opinions please:

Carrera Crossfire 3

https://halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-3-mens-hybrid-bike-2020---grey---s-m-l-frames-346094.html

Carrera Fury

https://halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-fury-mens-mountain-bike-2020---red---s-m-l-frames-340550.html

Also I know bikes are very sparse right now but if you have any other recommendations please let me know.

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    My friend asked me to help him choose a bike. We ride together quite often on the road and off road.

As he does a lot more road cycling than I do, I found this bike for him and has been excellent with no issues for the last two years so highly recommend taking a look at this Maximus Hybrid (£300 including shipping) which is still in stock when I checked recently.

http://www.skinnergate.co.uk/bikes-c1/hybrid-bikes-c6/maximus-urban-x-trail-xxiv-p46316

The only thing my friends has changed on this hybrid are the tyres for Schwalbe Land Cruisers with smooth road style centre tread and small shoulder knobbles to suit our mixed terrain rides which I also recommend.

I'm not a fan of Halford's bikes personally so can't say how good the Carrera options are.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited June 2020
    So many bikes are not in stock anywhere and sadly Halfords don't seem to have a search filter limiting you to what is available right now.

The Fury isn't expected until end of next month, decent bike but have you got the patience to wait that long?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/bikes-available-next-week/ shows the Crossfire 3 arriving in stock

I'd look at that or the rigid fork Subway2 arriving next week, even though I almost hate the concept of 27.5" as much as modern day bikes coming with mechanical disc brakes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • glero
    glero Posts: 7

My friend asked me to help him choose a bike. We ride together quite often on the road and off road.

As he does a lot more road cycling than I do, I found this bike for him and has been excellent with no issues for the last two years so highly recommend taking a look at this Maximus Hybrid (£300 including shipping) which is still in stock when I checked recently.

http://www.skinnergate.co.uk/bikes-c1/hybrid-bikes-c6/maximus-urban-x-trail-xxiv-p46316

The only thing my friends has changed on this hybrid are the tyres for Schwalbe Land Cruisers with smooth road style centre tread and small shoulder knobbles to suit our mixed terrain rides which I also recommend.

I'm not a fan of Halford's bikes personally so can't say how good the Carrera options are.

Thanks mate, unfortunately this bike is out of stock
  • glero
    oxoman said:

Glero, based on your two links both will do the job and each is more suited to one area of your proposed riding. The crossover is 2x9 gearing and 75mm shocks so more orientated for commute and gravel path type riding whilst the fury is suitable for the above and doing trail centres and more serious off road stuff. The fork on the fury is way better as are the brakes and gears. Both have hydraulic brakes which would be my choice. Nothing wrong with halfords and carrera bikes other than some of their bike mechanics are rubbish. Some of their cheaper bikes are also rubbish like apollo etc. The maximus is a triple chainset 8spd and mechanical disc brakes so not as good. Doesn't say if it's 27'5" / 29" or old school 26" wheels. Personally I'd go with the fury as I had one a few years ago as my first proper mtb, did loads of trails centres on it and did me till I got a full sus bike.

Thanks for your response, so I take it the better fork means that it would be more durable when it comes to impact on hard surfaces?
  • glero

So many bikes are not in stock anywhere and sadly Halfords don't seem to have a search filter limiting you to what is available right now.

The Fury isn't expected until end of next month, decent bike but have you got the patience to wait that long?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/bikes-available-next-week/ shows the Crossfire 3 arriving in stock

I'd look at that or the rigid fork Subway2 arriving next week, even though I almost hate the concept of 27.5" as much as modern day bikes coming with mechanical disc brakes.

Thanks for responding. I think I can wait until the end of next month, it's just good to know what my options are.

What is it that you do not like about 27.5" tyres and if the bike comes with that, can they be after fit with 29" tyres?

Also, you stated that the Subway 2 has a rigid fork, does that mean it deals less well with impacts on the ground?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    27.5" wheels/tyres were an unecessary gimmick to break compatibility with 26" and 29", IMO.

A rigid fork won't buffer impacts like a suspension fork would, but on cheaper bikes, the suspension forks rarely function that well and often weigh a fair fit. If a rigid fork bike has clearance for wide tyres, you can run the pressure relatively lower to get some suspension affect from them.

No idea when they are expected back in stock, but the rigid fork Voodoo Marasa has clearance for at least 50mm (2") tyres, it's been a solid bike suggestion for the last ~10 years at least. However, £450 is the most expensive I've seen it, as recently as ~6 months before lockdown it was ~£320.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    I ❤ 27.5"