Camera for Safety

Just recently getting fed up of the tourists and so many close calls , so decided to get a camera for safety, any suggestions on what to get just want one that turns on and forget, long life for my 3 hour cycles and a quick way to save footage from from my garmin head unit

Comments

• janusz0
    janusz0 Posts: 4
    The camera* may be good for insurance payouts, but mightn't powerful daytime lights be a better investment for your continuing health?
    *You'll need at least 2
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

4 hours battery
    £39 for one or £66 for two
    Spare batteries £6 each

Might make me finally take the plunge on safety cams, I've got a list of just bike bits I could better spend the cost of a new Go Pro and Cycliq set on!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    edited June 2020

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/

4 hours battery
    £39 for one or £66 for two
    Spare batteries £6 each

Might make me finally take the plunge on safety cams, I've got a list of just bike bits I could better spend the cost of a new Go Pro and Cycliq set on!

I’ve got these. Two of them but only using one. I really should mount one on the rear. They are strong units. Mine has survived a tumble at 29mph on rough roads. The mount I have on the bars is not that great hence the tumble so now I’ve got a wrap of Velcro strap around it for security.

The quality is OK-ish. Not GoPro by any means but a lot better than some other cheaper Chinese imports. Sound is rubbish. Night video not so good. You need the right conditions to be able to clearly record number plates with clarity. These is a button to turn on/off that blinks blue when on but mine if so dim it’s hard to tell if it is on or not.

For the price they are ok. I’d probably buy again or save for a GoPro.

Won’t pair with Garmin or anything. You need Cycliq for that.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Crosstour CT8500.

Here are a couple of reviews done by a chap in our club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebcuUyG ... 7-gvkDGZDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUCYuHI ... S44ywB2-Ls
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    de_sisti both links don't work.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited July 2020
    xxxxx

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    If you want a deterrent, a dummy GoPro with a red LED in one corner works well (so I'm told).

• Hello!

I am currently doing research into the details of an AI-driven dash cam product made specifically for bicyclists to serve as an advocacy and safety tool. My team is working out of a company called Peregrine Technologies that is based in Berlin, Germany. Peregrine is currently in the late stages of development for a dash cam product that works to improve traffic safety and efficiency for vehicles (you can find our work at peregrine.ai).

We believe that a modification of Peregrine's current product could be beneficial for the cycling community (specifically in Germany/Europe right now, more expansive in the future) in improving road safety and your general experience cycling in your cities. Since the current market for cameras for cyclists seems to be fairly small, we would like to develop something beyond the limited and manual functionality of current devices using the traffic-analyzing AI we have already developed for vehicle dash cams.

We are hoping to interview a few people to see how a potential product could improve your experience as a cyclist in European cities. The interview would be about 15-20 minutes. In addition, you would be one of the first to hear about a product if it does become available in the future, and would have the opportunity to work with us more to shape the product experience!

If you have any time in the upcoming days to have a short phone call with us, it would be much appreciated, and will hopefully lead to a product that could be an asset to the community as a whole. The phone call can be anonymous through Google Meet if that is preferred as well. Thanks for reading!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

Hello!

I am currently doing research into the details of an AI-driven dash cam product made specifically for bicyclists to serve as an advocacy and safety tool. My team is working out of a company called Peregrine Technologies that is based in Berlin, Germany. Peregrine is currently in the late stages of development for a dash cam product that works to improve traffic safety and efficiency for vehicles (you can find our work at peregrine.ai).

We believe that a modification of Peregrine's current product could be beneficial for the cycling community (specifically in Germany/Europe right now, more expansive in the future) in improving road safety and your general experience cycling in your cities. Since the current market for cameras for cyclists seems to be fairly small, we would like to develop something beyond the limited and manual functionality of current devices using the traffic-analyzing AI we have already developed for vehicle dash cams.

We are hoping to interview a few people to see how a potential product could improve your experience as a cyclist in European cities. The interview would be about 15-20 minutes. In addition, you would be one of the first to hear about a product if it does become available in the future, and would have the opportunity to work with us more to shape the product experience!

If you have any time in the upcoming days to have a short phone call with us, it would be much appreciated, and will hopefully lead to a product that could be an asset to the community as a whole. The phone call can be anonymous through Google Meet if that is preferred as well. Thanks for reading!

Can I get one of the product to test afterwards? I currently use 3 cameras on the bike at all times, and am intrigued how the AI premise of the product could/would improve the situation...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    Erm... a camera isn't going to make anyone safer, unless of course it's a big one used as a barrier between the vehicle and cycle.
  • Hello!

Can I get one of the product to test afterwards? I currently use 3 cameras on the bike at all times, and am intrigued how the AI premise of the product could/would improve the situation...
    Yes, thanks for your interest! I will write down your username for future contact and testing. We are currently still in the beginning stages of research into what features we want to focus on curating for the product in general, so it might be a short period of time before we are rolling anything out. In the end it also might look like a software that is based on our current AI that allows users to analyze footage after recording. It's very up in the air right now, but it is very useful to know the number of cameras used on average by bicyclists as well, so we will keep that in mind during the design phase.
  • Erm... a camera isn't going to make anyone safer, unless of course it's a big one used as a barrier between the vehicle and cycle.

You're correct, unfortunately we can't stop accidents from happening, and we can't do much in terms of social acceptance and learning related to making roads safer for cyclists. We are hoping that we can mitigate some of the safety issues that are fixable, such as road conditions, advocacy for bike lanes in dangerous areas (if the cyclist is interested in a bike lane, we know this is a controversial topic), and possibly warning cyclists of how many/what kind of vehicles might be approaching from behind, the speed of the vehicle, etc. If an accident should occur, hopefully the analytics would be able to help in liability circumstances as well. We are still working on the details of this, but those are the basics of what we are starting with.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited July 2020

Yes, thanks for your interest! I will write down your username for future contact and testing. We are currently still in the beginning stages of research into what features we want to focus on curating for the product in general, so it might be a short period of time before we are rolling anything out. In the end it also might look like a software that is based on our current AI that allows users to analyze footage after recording. It's very up in the air right now, but it is very useful to know the number of cameras used on average by bicyclists as well, so we will keep that in mind during the design phase.
    Ah, ok. I sometimes run OpenALPR over my recorded videos to confirm a number of things about those on the road around me after my rides, and have been interested in furthering this analysis combined with customised neural nets to highlight repeated "hot spots", similar to the see.sense icon's outputs. I'd love to have an ANPR system running live for a number of reasons....
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • shimanobottombracket
    edited July 2020
    Would a gun work? Maybe a holder in one of the bottle mounts or attached to the back of the seat? Maybe a sawn off shotgun mounted in the same manner that a pump would be.

There'd be some practicalities that need addressing. Mainly about having your bollox blown off when going over a bump. Maybe replicas would act as a deterrent or pellet guns as a trade off between a replica and a full on Rambo device.

By far the biggest issues of course would be the added weight and drag making my suggestion completely idiotic.