Is this bike the right size for me?

ellenmeira92
ellenmeira92 Posts: 6
edited June 2020 in Road buying advice
I just bought my first road bike and did some bike fit myself based on information available on the Internet.
After 20min riding, I started having neck and shoulder (traps) pain. I feel a slight discomfort in that area and I find myself having to stretch to reach the handlebars.
Interesting point: The store didn't have a smaller size, and the salesman said this size was good for me. I felt comfortable when I tried on the test track for a minute. I can still return the bike and order online the one size smaller without testing it (this is a 58 and the smaller would be a 56).

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Saddle height looks to be OK with a slight knee bend when the ball of your foot is on the pedal at the 6 o'clock position. However I think you may be a little stretched as ,ideally, you would prefer to have a slight bend at the elbow when your hands are on the hoods and certainly when they are on the tops.

It's a little difficult as you are trying to balance the bike at the same time, so you may not be adopting a natural relaxed position as a result.

What length is the stem? Maybe you could try going 1 or 2 sizes shorter but preferably no shorter than 80mm as that can lead to handling issues
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2020
    This looks to be https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/road/road/attain/cube-attain-greynflashyellow-2020/

The 58cm has the same geometry as my Cube, I'm ~178cm tall with short ~83cm cycling inseam legs (this is not the same as trouser inseam, it's a larger measurement unless you like walking on your trouser hems or wearing platform shoes ;) ).

My saddle height, centre of bottom bracket to saddle top (following seat tube and measuring on a vertical plane is ~73cm).

My stem is in -6 degree position (it arrived in +6 position) sitting under all standard round spacers on the steerer these days.

I'm no bike fit expert, but to me it looks like you might have the seat post a fraction high and if I'm seeing it right, you might benefit from flipping stem to +6 degree (or you need to learn to hold bars in various positions with more elbow bend).

The geo of the 56cm isn't much different, 3mm less frame reach and 19mm lower stack (BB to top of conical spacer in Cube range).
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/road/road/attain/cube-attain-greynflashyellow-2020/

I could fit the 56cm now, but it's a racier position with the lower stack, which I wasn't confident of my weakened lower back coping with.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • arlowood said:

It's a little difficult as you are trying to balance the bike at the same time, so you may not be adopting a natural relaxed position as a result.

While riding, I was not able to really relax the neck/shoulders area very much.

I could not find the stem length, this is the bike btw: https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/road/road/attain/cube-attain-greynflashyellow-2020/

I measured myself (center of the head tube to center of the stem) and I got ~105mm - 108mm, not sure if this is correct.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Your saddle is slightly too high, but you don't look too stretched out. You should find that you are riding gripping the hoods or on the tops of the bars most of the time, btw, so if you haven't been doing that, it will exacerbate any issues.

Some context for you - I cycle about 8-10,000 km a year and have done since I was about 25 (I'm 47). Every year when I start to up the mileage come springtime, I get a sore back and neck. You are starting from zero.
  • ellenmeira92
    edited June 2020

The 58cm has the same geometry as my Cube, I'm ~178cm tall with short ~83cm cycling inseam legs/

So it looks like we have a very similar case, I'm ~177cm tall with ~84cm cycling inseam legs.

How can I tell the degree angle of my stem? I will do some research about this (everything is very new for me), but here is what I currently have.

• First.Aspect
    That is a 100mm stem.

I don't like "reach" at all, because it is mis-named. How far you "reach" is really to do with the difference between saddle and bar, and also how much saddle-to-bar drop there is.

So, I'm also 178cm - roughly 5'10". I have an effective top tube of 55 cm and a 110mm stem, which is bang on the 56 cm cube sizing.

How tall are you?
  • First.Aspect
    Mmm... might need to change my vote then....
  • How tall are you?

I'm 177cm.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2020
    Pretty sure the supplied stem on the 58cm is 110mm +/- 6 degrees.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php says that flipping the slim to +6 (pointing more upwards) will raise the bars by 22mm and shorten the reach to the bars by 7mm for the same relative position of the stem compared to the round spacers.

The more round spacers under the stem, the higher the bars will be and the shorter the reach to the bars will be. If I moved all spacers to below my stem, it would raise the bars 29mm and shorten the reach by 9mm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Size wise looks okay.
    Might have to flip the stem or even buy a shorter one to give you a more personalised fit.
    Other than that the pictures show you as being tense in your upper body. Some of that will be down to you supporting yourself in the images, but also because you are in a position your body isn't used to.
    Would you go to the gym for the first time and do 30 minutes of training and expect not to have a few aches and pains? It's exactly the same thing on a new bike, it'll take a month or so for your body to adapt, so keep the rides short, but frequent and the aches and pains will dissipate as your core muscles become stronger.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Hard to say as the photos aren't great - realise you have to balance but would be better with the bike on a trainer or held - but that aside I think it looks ok
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Actually looking at the geometry chart I've changed my mind a bit - think smaller size *might* be better due to lower stack and similar reach.
  • ellenmeira92
    edited June 2020
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I found a 56 Cube Attain Race (same geometry of the one I have, superior model) and was able to take some pictures riding it in the store. I felt pretty good actually and I'm very convinced that I should return the 58 and get a 56. It looks the right size for me, any comment is very welcome.

Similar pictures of the 58:

Standard grip riding:

Aero:

• ellenmeira92
    edited June 2020
    Messed up trying to edit the other one, but I zoomed in a bit since I noticed it is not possible to open the images on a larger size in the forum.

• iantr
    iantr Posts: 31
    In “general terms” a 58cm frame is likely to be too big for a normally-proportioned 177cm rider.

My view is that you could be fitted properly to either a 54 or 56cm frame, by adjusting the saddle on the rails and/or changing the stem. 56cm might be the better place to start given the discomfort you’ve described.
  • First.Aspect
    I agree now we can see you riding. Get the 56. Easy to get longer and lower if you ever need to.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited June 2020
    I voted by accident :)

Like others say, the saddle height on the bigger bike is too high, it's affecting your stance. At 177cm the 56 should be about right looking at the geometry of it. Photos aren't a good way of doing it. (The 58 has an Effective Top Tube of 575mm which is simply too long for someone 177cm ).

If you are new to it, even getting the 56 expect plenty of aches and pains if you're new to it. Cycling takes a bit of adjusting to.

Get the 56 over the 58. There could be a case for the 53 working better too but it's too difficult to tell over the internet :) Chances are that the 56 will be the best out of the 56 and 53, but if I were to throw a spanner in the works, I'd say sometimes you can fall in between frame sizes in some makes and models and not find the goldilocks size exists for you (well, in fact, it happens a lot! Don't let that put you off if you are getting started cycling though, your position will change over time as you learn what's right for you.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes get the 56 - it's quite a short and tall type bike and for me the front end was too high on the 58 and whilst it isn't totally obvious from the pictures the top tube was long for your height.