Spitfire Ti

2»

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    Very nice!! I also like the disc version - the Hurricane, but I'm really tempted by the Tempest as a gravel/adventure/winter 'all rounder' bike.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • step83 how are you getting on with your Planet X Spitfire? I'm considering buying one and it's quite an outlay for me so want to be sure before paying
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

step83 how are you getting on with your Planet X Spitfire? I'm considering buying one and it's quite an outlay for me so want to be sure before paying

In all honesty I can't fault it, OK it has now become my "best bike" an as such doesn't see grim weather anymore, but when it did I had no issues aside from theres no mountings for mud guards.
    Finish wise no complaints its held up fine, one minor scuff I took out with a scotch brite pad.
  • step83 Many thanks. I've been doing some research as it's at the top end of my budget and wanted to here from an owner. I've heard stories of cracked frames and how titanium frames are not repairable. It's also difficult to find reviews on the Spitfire. I see you've had yours for a couple of years and if you still impressed it must be good. 😁
  • step83

step83 Many thanks. I've been doing some research as it's at the top end of my budget and wanted to here from an owner. I've heard stories of cracked frames and how titanium frames are not repairable. It's also difficult to find reviews on the Spitfire. I see you've had yours for a couple of years and if you still impressed it must be good. 😁

Yeah I give it a bit of abuse I hop speed bumps, pop wheelies etc, I'm about 80Kg an run deep carbon rims on the thing as you can see. Zero issues, if it did ever fail I wouldn't hesitate to get another Ti frame
  • Brilliant 😁 Thank you. I guess I'll get ordering then.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ti is repairable by the way - its just a metal. A good frame builder can do it or point you in the right direction.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

Ti is repairable by the way - its just a metal. A good frame builder can do it or point you in the right direction.

Many thanks. I just want to dot the I's and cross the T's before I commit to buying
  • step83 said:

step83 Many thanks. I've been doing some research as it's at the top end of my budget and wanted to here from an owner. I've heard stories of cracked frames and how titanium frames are not repairable. It's also difficult to find reviews on the Spitfire. I see you've had yours for a couple of years and if you still impressed it must be good. 😁

Yeah I give it a bit of abuse I hop speed bumps, pop wheelies etc, I'm about 80Kg an run deep carbon rims on the thing as you can see. Zero issues, if it did ever fail I wouldn't hesitate to get another Ti frame
    May I ask your height. I'm about 5'7" and Planet X suggested a medium (50) frame.
  • step83

step83 said:

May I ask your height. I'm about 5'7" and Planet X suggested a medium (50) frame.
    I'm 5'10" an went with the medium, I compared the geo to my old bike which was a 54cm frame, an my bike fit numbers. The 50cm frame was the nearest match for me.
  • step83 said:

step83 said:

I'm 5'10" an went with the medium, I compared the geo to my old bike which was a 54cm frame, an my bike fit numbers. The 50cm frame was the nearest match for me.
    Many thanks. My problem is that my current bike is one I got from a selling site and is a little too big for me. I don't have a geo for it so have nothing to compare. PX suggested a medium bug I'm worried it will be too big. They did say that the Spitfire measured up on the smaller side so it may be ok.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your answers
  • jimnm
    jimnm Posts: 29
    I have a Planet X spitfire. I’m 5’8” and the small size is spot on for me. It’s a great bike. I also have a Genesis Equalibrium 10 725 tubing and the ride on that is sublime. Both good rides but the steelie is the best. It’s just a kilo heavier than my Spitfire. Love them both.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I'm 5'7" and have a small Px Spitfire.
    Definitely the right size for me.