What bike

Hi sorry for this post but I thought I would just ask n see where you take me. I have recently started a new job and can cycle to work it’s no more than a mile so very short distance. I’m looking for a Hardtail and have been looking at these :-

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-6/p/28501/?colorCode=tan

https://kross.eu/en/bikes/mountain/mtb/hexagon-7-0-black-graphite-blue-glossy

I have a very max of £750 and only would be using it for work but then also the odd trip along the river or something like that.

Also I’m 6ft 2in and do have long arms so I think 29in wheels linked to a large frame would be the way to go ?

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    Hi Paul. Trek! No contest! Better forks with Boost thru axles and more travel. 1x10 drivetrain. Quick release rear but is Boost spacing. Really good bike for the money. Better looks, spec, quality than the other one.

Large or maybe XL? 27.5+ or 29 wheels as there isn't much difference.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    +1 for the Trek.
  • pmyoung
    pmyoung Posts: 11
    Cool, is there any other brands that I could also look at ?.
  • pmyoung
    Also that model is now discontinued so have to wait for the 2021 model, with this in mind do the specs normally stay the same, get better or worse?.
  • reaperactual
    edited June 2020
    Spec for new models usually improve along with modern trends but the price goes up also.

Discontinued doesn't mean you can't find one. Some shops may have old stock or there could be some on the second hand market for an even better price.

That being said with the current situation any bike is hard to find at the moment as demand has risen dramatically.

Look at YouTube for reviews on mountain bikes in the £750 category which will give you a good idea which brands would be the best ones to choose from.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    6'2" is on the cusp of an XL, it will depend upon your leg length. People of 6'2" do not all have the same leg length.
  • pmyoung
    Well my leg measurement is 95cm or 37in
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    That sounds like you need an XL bike to me!

What do others think?
  • reaperactual
    I'm 5'10'' on a good day, 31" inside leg on a medium frame. I have to agree XL.
  • pmyoung
    Really set my heart on the Trek now in quicksand colour 2020, but the £750 price tag for something that’s gonna site in the shed for 6 months of the year could be a waste hence looking at 2nd hand also. Looked on YouTube and the Halfords voodoo comes higher recommended also but again no stock. Think now it’s just a keep looking and see what comes up but the XL frame no matter what make I go for is a must. If the Trek says 2020 model is that the new model or will be changed in the next month of so?

Thanks
  • pmyoung
    not my actual bike but this is what I have. Working it out it around 24yrs old and I think still has the original seat and tyres as I don’t recall ever changing them.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/diamondback-wildwood-retro-mountain-bike-21-large-size-frame-21-gears-26-wheels/1303724164

• reaperactual
    pmyoung said:

Really set my heart on the Trek now in quicksand colour 2020, but the £750 price tag for something that’s gonna site in the shed for 6 months of the year could be a waste hence looking at 2nd hand also. Looked on YouTube and the Halfords voodoo comes higher recommended also but again no stock. Think now it’s just a keep looking and see what comes up but the XL frame no matter what make I go for is a must. If the Trek says 2020 model is that the new model or will be changed in the next month of so?

Thanks

If you like the Trek a lot stick with searching for a Trek bike. They are better than any Voodoo in my opinion.

The 2020 Trek will have been released late 2019. Only a guess but 2021 version will be near the end of this year, not likely to be in the next month or so.
  • pmyoung
    Yeah seems some 2021 models are out for pre order some reporting 2021 for delivery ! If I want that long will loose interest. Going to do some ring around tomorrow n see if I can get hold of anything
  • reaperactual
    edited June 2020
    Pretty close between the two. Marlin is worth the price and a good around package. Main difference is non Boost quick release axles and different tyre widths. This will be better for riding on the road.

The Roscoe with its wider tyres and Boost thru axle front with Boost rear end is aimed more at off roading.

With this in mind I would say the Marlin would suit your needs and where you would be riding better than the Roscoe.

1x10 drivetrain is a good feature for both bikes. Both have hydraulic brakes and adequate forks, although different brands, are similar and compare closely.

Seen a lot of these Trek bikes around recently and they do stand out and are good looking too! A great choice for a bike in this price range.
  • pmyoung
    Brill will give them a ring Thanks very much
  • reaperactual
    😎👍
  • pmyoung
    Well after a lot of ringing around they have all gone (spent a good few hours of the last couple of days) :( so have given up on the Trek. Was speaking to one of my contractors, and he said to give this one place a call not to far from me so after a look around and trying bikes ended up with this.

https://elmycycles.co.uk/m11b0s2p1865/Romet-Mustang-M3-2020

Now ok its not a Trex but was only £500 has lock out forks, hydraulic brakes, get a bike check up in 3 months to adjust what's come loose lol. This does come with the 29" wheels and was looking for the 27.5 with the slightly slimmer tyres as you have recommended but only one they had i didn't like the handle bars as they seemed to bend in and was a very strange feeling.

Couple of other things insurance got a quote from cycleplan for £42 but need a silver sold secure lock, but cycleguard want £61 and i can use my current squire lock. Has anybody use or have used these or can recommend a company ?

Also as the bike has quick release wheels with a d-clamp lock would i just secure the rear wheel and frame ?? or get a cable to secure the front wheel also? it's not like I'm gonna leave it anywhere really only work but then it will be locked inside a room where only me and another person has a key.

sorry for all these questions

paul

• reaperactual
    Shame about the Trek. Bad time to try and find a bike. You could always look for one in the future.

Congratulations on the new bike. Looks good and although have never heard of that brand I'm sure it will be a good bike for you and will be fine for your rides.👍

Sorry I don't know anything about bike insurance or bike locks. I don't commute, I ride mtb from home to off road trials and back again so never leave my bike anywhere or need to secure it. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions on this subject better than me or try posting on commuter cycling category.

Happy cycling Paul! 🚴‍♂️😎
  • pmyoung
    thanks. I tried for the Trek but as you say wrong time to look for the bike esp with the covid 19 and the new model coming out was just a double hit. Went out on it today, only done 5miles with a few hills but went well, apart from the wind. My legs felt the 'burn' when I got off lol. I also prob wont leave it anywhere but for the £40 or £60 I may as well insure it. As you say I will pop a question on the commuting page.
  • reaperactual
    edited June 2020
    B) A headwind is a killer on any ride and good to feel the burn, lol. 🚴‍♂️💪Glad you got sorted with the way things are at the moment. Enjoy your new bike Pal! 🚴‍♂️🐝🤘