Hanging bikes in Garage

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
edited June 2020 in MTB beginners
Sorry just placed in wrong forum. So I’ve finally come to the end of the list my wife gave me to do during lockdown, so now it’s my turn. I’m looking to tidy my garage and already have some crappy 2 pronged contraptions that can hold 2 bikes each but they are a pain in the rear. I’ve worked out that I can move some shelving around and get a wall freed up to use as bike storage. I’m liking the idea of the bike hooks that use a wheel to lock the bike into place, so the bikes are held in a vertical position. So I’m wondering, how many bikes I could hang on the wall. The wall is about 1.5m wide and about 2.5m tall. Can I use multiple heights of hooks to off set the bikes so handle bars don’t collide with each other? What’s other people’s experience with this kind of storage? I have 7 bikes in total, 2 24inch wheeled kids bike, a xl frame road bike, 3 29er mountain bikes and a 26inch mountain bike. And yes keeping these all maintained often feels like I’m running a race team!!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Yes you can and don't forget the pedals! Give yourself room so that you are not constantly chipping one bike against the other.

You could start at one end of the space and then see how close you can get the next bike and so on. But that means that you will have to put the bikes in the same sequence each time. And what happens when you sell a bike and buy another if it won't fit?

So, experiment to find a spacing that is consistent and gives you a bit of manoeuvring room.

A mate of mine has a house in South Carolina on an island off the coast. It floods a lot and all the houses are built on stilts. The garage is under the house in the stilted part. After one flood too many he hung the six bikes he had from the ceiling, but made the mistake of custom fitting. After use, when he came to hang them up it took him ages to find the correct hanging sequence!
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75
    You’ll fit less bikes than you think in any given space. I wall mount four bikes (road and three MTB) on a 2m wide wall and they’re a pain to remove or replace. Don’t even think about staggering then vertically, I tried top/tailing them to save space but even a lightweight road bike is difficult to manoeuvre either on its front wheel or lifting into position when you don’t want to scratch it on the bars and pedals adjacent.

In your 1.5m I’d guess you could mount two MTB’s with wide bars, but no more comfortably.
  • ed1973
    s_j_pwmb said:

You’ll fit less bikes than you think in any given space. I wall mount four bikes (road and three MTB) on a 2m wide wall and they’re a pain to remove or replace. Don’t even think about staggering then vertically, I tried top/tailing them to save space but even a lightweight road bike is difficult to manoeuvre either on its front wheel or lifting into position when you don’t want to scratch it on the bars and pedals adjacent.

In your 1.5m I’d guess you could mount two MTB’s with wide bars, but no more comfortably.

Just the answer I was looking for, thanks.
    Back to the drawing board or this case internet and YouTube
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I found getting ridof the wife was the best option.

No more jobs to do lists and I can store more bikes in the bedroom, if needed :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited June 2020
    I have a swathe of bikes hung up in this very manner - I staggered the hook heights wise, and hang them by either rear or front wheel, depending on how they best 'mesh' together.
    Some of them are quicker to get out than others, but it's no big deal.

I have them fairly snug, but have never hit any big issues when swapping new bikes in if that makes sense, sometimes I just have to rejuggle the order to accept the new arrival, but I've never had a show stopper.

I also tend to put some wood or bricks under the lowest wheel so not all of the bikes weight is on the top wheel - unecessary, but just something I do.

I'll try an remember to go out and measure the span versus the quantity of bikes for you. I have a mix of mountain and road bikes there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ed1973
    daniel_b said:

I have a swathe of bikes hung up in this very manner - I staggered the hook heights wise, and hang them by either rear or front wheel, depending on how they best 'mesh' together.
    Some of them are quicker to get out than others, but it's no big deal.

I have them fairly snug, but have never hit any big issues when swapping new bikes in if that makes sense, sometimes I just have to rejuggle the order to accept the new arrival, but I've never had a show stopper.

I also tend to put some wood or bricks under the lowest wheel so not all of the bikes weight is on the top wheel - unecessary, but just something I do.

I'll try an remember to go out and measure the span versus the quantity of bikes for you. I have a mix of mountain and road bikes there.

You are a star, thanks
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited June 2020
    I have a length of 3x2 wood fastened to the garage roof and I screw the big red hooks you can get off e Bay to it. Changing spacing is no problem.
    If you have a mountain or flat bar bike that you do not use often, turning the handle bar thru 90 deg on the steerer make things easier if you are short of space.
    Having them a bit close together inevitably ends up with a bit if paint damage no matter how careful you are.
    Just noticed that is post 1000. I must get out more.
  • I've just fitted a 2400mm length of 2x4 (38x89mm actual)to my garage wall, with heavy duty hooks from Screwfix, and it takes 5 mtbs just fine. With careful overlapping could probably do 6. With hindsight I'd use 2x6, as it covers two courses of brick better (to put two fixings in vertically and miss the mortar). 2x4 works, just.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I take off the front wheels and hold the bars at 90 degrees with Velcro, it means I can hang 5 bikes into a space of less than 2 metres, and they're fairly easy to get in and out too.
  • I have 3 bikes, 1 road and 2 mountain bikes. I used 2 lengths of 2x6 screwed to the brick wall at different heights to counter how close they are.
    I had a 34 inch gap to fit them into (860mm), between two different workbenches so the height at the top by the bars didnt really matter as the workbenches are only 700mm from the floor and the bars go above the counter top.

MTBs are either side and the road bike goes upside down in the middle.

I would say that for the most part you could do with slightly bigger spacing as it is close and i have to have the pedals positioned in just the right positions to make sure they don't hit the other frames.

However it works and its not too much effort and im fairly adept at getting them in and out after some practice.

7 bikes in 1.5 metre wide space and i think you'd really struggle.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052

I take off the front wheels and hold the bars at 90 degrees with Velcro, it means I can hang 5 bikes into a space of less than 2 metres, and they're fairly easy to get in and out too.

Pics?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.