Garmin 530 pairing

2»

Comments

• Slowbike wrote:
    The imprtant thing is that it is customisable. For long Audax rides having battery left, time of the day and maybe temperature is more relevant than speed/average speed and time ridden
    Yes it is - so make sure you've got the back light turning off and - I dunno if it's available on the 5xx - battery save mode - turns the whole screen off - just records data and prompts you with Nav ... the battery will last all day and all night like that ...

Oh yes -
    Turning On Battery Save Mode

Select Menu > Settings > Battery Save Mode > Enable.
    Select the alerts that wake up the screen during an activity.

Seems unnecessary... I did 3 hours following a route and used 9% of the battery... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    30 hrs full life - you should be ok for your shorter rides then ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    30 hrs full life - you should be ok for your shorter rides then ;)

I hope so... :lol::lol:
  • Battery life doesn't seem to be affected by low temperature... this morning I did 2:30 hours at 2.5-5 degrees, using oly 7% of the battery
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    Probably helps that you are not connected to your phone. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Probably helps that you are not connected to your phone. :wink:

I think so too... but I am surprised the battery doesn't seem to mind the cold... my old unti halved the battery charge in the cold
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Did you manage to set up WiFi? This is definitely the way to go rather than bluetooth; as soon as you save a ride it should scan for your WiFi network and attempt to upload it. Should work fine with any old home router these days. Once it's set up you should see the little WiFi icon in the status bar at the top when it has a connection and this turns to some little up-and-down arrows when it's transferring data.

I prefer to keep bluetooth off (1) to preserve battery as you mention and (2) the GC mobile app pops up notifications every time it makes/loses a connection with the unit, which become incredibly annoying e.g. if you're wandering around the house before/after a ride.
  • Did you manage to set up WiFi? This is definitely the way to go rather than bluetooth; as soon as you save a ride it should scan for your WiFi network and attempt to upload it. Should work fine with any old home router these days. Once it's set up you should see the little WiFi icon in the status bar at the top when it has a connection and this turns to some little up-and-down arrows when it's transferring data.

I prefer to keep bluetooth off (1) to preserve battery as you mention and (2) the GC mobile app pops up notifications every time it makes/loses a connection with the unit, which become incredibly annoying e.g. if you're wandering around the house before/after a ride.

I didn't try... I figured out since I only use it for longer rides and not daily commutes, then I have to plug it in anyway, so I might just upload a ride manually... so there is no need to have it connected. I am also worried about it downloading updates and getting fuxxed...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Did you manage to set up WiFi? This is definitely the way to go rather than bluetooth; as soon as you save a ride it should scan for your WiFi network and attempt to upload it. Should work fine with any old home router these days. Once it's set up you should see the little WiFi icon in the status bar at the top when it has a connection and this turns to some little up-and-down arrows when it's transferring data.

I didn't try... I figured out since I only use it for longer rides and not daily commutes, then I have to plug it in anyway, so I might just upload a ride manually... so there is no need to have it connected. I am also worried about it downloading updates and getting fuxxed...
    It prompts you with the updates to be applied....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dear god. This is a pain to connect.
    Can't get it to connect to the phone for love or money.

And I need it connected to the phone and Garmin connect to export the route I want to follow ? Or have I missed something ?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You can plug the device into a computer and run Garmin Express to sync. You can copy gpx route files onto the device (put them in the 'Garmin\New Files\' folder) and copy ride logs off with a computer too. You don't need to use a phone.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    fenix said:

Dear god. This is a pain to connect.
    Can't get it to connect to the phone for love or money.

And I need it connected to the phone and Garmin connect to export the route I want to follow ? Or have I missed something ?

In my case it was a phone issue, but it has eventually sorted itself. The unit itself seems to be fine in terms of bluetooth, it found the power meter in seconds
  • fenix
    Thanks guys. Did manage to connect Via express and the computer but will look into getting the phone connected too.
  • fenix
    Success. Got it to pair. Hard to understand why now but I paid attention to the Bluetooth pairing on the settings page of the phone rather than just rely on the connect app sorting it all out.

And turned the WiFi off but that's probably just coincidental.
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    My 530 will only connect to my computer with one of my USB cables the others don't work