Schwalbe G-One Bite TLE - has anyone actually got/seen one on a rim....?

iantr
iantr Posts: 31
I am no naive innocent with tubeless tyres, so prepared for battle with diligence. My thumbs are strong and I warmed up well. I had a weapons grade Joe Blow Booster pump to hand, and the the rubber coated "persuader" ready should needs must...

Absolutely no chance. Even with both beads stretched out and seated carefully in the centre channel (Mavic rims) there is zero prospect - and I mean zero prospect - of getting the last part of the second bead fitted. The characteristic straight line section (technically a secant!) across the rim must be about 300mm across and 50mm from the rim at the furthest point. There is no way this tyre is being fitted to this rim.

Obviously I am just ranting (sorry). But has anyone ever managed to get one of these tyres fitted? Any tips if so..?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,504
    edited June 2020
    I had a mare of a time fitting some tyres to some rims - I usually don't use levers for fitting regular clinchers but I remember breaking a lever fitting the first bead on one set of tubeless tyres...

It may just be a really bad combination of tyre and rim - some rims are big and some tyres are small...
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I have 40mm G1 bites fitted on DTswiss rims and mavic allroad rims with no issues -
  • iantr
    moonshine said:

I have 40mm G1 bites fitted on DTswiss rims and mavic allroad rims with no issues -

I’m impressed! When you say mounted on your AllRoad rims with no issues, did you have to use a tyre lever or did you manage with just thumbs? I’d love to get the G1’s on my rims, but my first attempt wasn’t even close!

Maybe I will steel myself for another go..!
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i used a lever to pop the tyres on - good levers are a must - i have some yellow Michelin ones I that are good and the. Schwalbe levers are good too.
  • iantr
    All sorted. Thank you for helping me believe it would be possible..!
  • iantr
    The tyres are awesome. I expected them to be great on gravel, but am very surprised at how silky smooooo-o-o-o-o-o-th they are on road given their knobbly appearance. Perfectly ok on dry soil trails too. I am impressed!