Disc brake rubbing question

Hey all.

Bike in question is canyon aeroad with ultegra discs.

Issue is disc brakes are rubbing when I'm climbing or sprinting, also I sometimes get rub after a decent.

I have centered the disc brakes few times but climbs and sprints they always rub, is this normal? Never really had issue with V brakes on old bike but know disc brake tolerances are small.

Options, bar your advice... Lol.
1: re centre again so wheel off pistons cleaned and reset, cardboard shim attached, wheel on, recentre brakes.

Bar this no other ideas.

Cheers all

Comments

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Deffo clean & regrease your pistons.

I have a Canyon Endurace & mine does this (posted on here a few times about it) & cleaning the pistons usually solves it.

Occurs again after a few months but to be fair it is my winter bike so does get some abuse.
  • Have you checked to if one of the pistons is sticking slightly?
    Dust from the pads can sometimes cause one side to retract more slowly.
    Have a look at this it may help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYExdy_yn3A
  • Cheers for the advice, so just to clarify when sprinting or climbing should discs rub at all?

I think personally it could be the pistons like you suggested, with regards to cleaning them can you use disc brake cleaner? (or am I going to have to go and buy a load of shimano disc brake fluid?)

Cheers again
  • ibr17xvii

Cheers for the advice, so just to clarify when sprinting or climbing should discs rub at all?

I think personally it could be the pistons like you suggested, with regards to cleaning them can you use disc brake cleaner? (or am I going to have to go and buy a load of shimano disc brake fluid?)

Cheers again

Isopropyl alcohol does the job for cleaning & is pretty inexpensive.

I use the mineral oil to regrease the pistons but the jury seems to be out on whether that's necessary or not.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696

Cheers for the advice, so just to clarify when sprinting or climbing should discs rub at all

Ideally they should not ‘rub’ and I cannot see why they would, but they may touch if you are throwing the bike around a bit, you say it happens when you climb or sprint (sideways bike movement), I’m assuming you do both of these out of the saddle? Wheels do flex quite a lot. Even though the disc is attached to the hub there may be some movement
  • ibr17xvii

Cheers for the advice, so just to clarify when sprinting or climbing should discs rub at all?

Cheers again

Plenty of good stuff on this thread I posted on the very same topic:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13107944/disc-brake-rub-when-out-of-the-saddle#latest
  • ibr17xvii said:

Cheers again

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13107944/disc-brake-rub-when-out-of-the-saddle#latest
    I'm tempted to say it's a canyon issue. Sinse bike arrived the rotors were bent in transit which wasn't great start and reckon pistons not aligned properly.

Going to have a play today and see what's going on.

Regarding the rub, when I get out of saddle on climbs it also apparent which is why I originally thought something was wrong as out of saddle climbs the bike isn't moving side to side as much as sprints where one might expect disc rub.

Either way it's all very annoying especially given the nature of the aeroad being a sprint bike...
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

Cheers again

I'm tempted to say it's a canyon issue. Sinse bike arrived the rotors were bent in transit which wasn't great start and reckon pistons not aligned properly.

Going to have a play today and see what's going on.

Regarding the rub, when I get out of saddle on climbs it also apparent which is why I originally thought something was wrong as out of saddle climbs the bike isn't moving side to side as much as sprints where one might expect disc rub.

Either way it's all very annoying especially given the nature of the aeroad being a sprint bike...
    As I said in the thread it was basically every time I got out of the saddle & "threw" the bike side to side I would get rub.

Not sure it's exclusively a Canyon issue though although maybe their frames are ever so slightly more flexy than others? Who knows.

Either way it's deffo fixable so you don't have to just put up with it.
  • Cheers all for replies.

I and its a big.... Think fixed it. Slight rubbing still but marked improvement.

Solution seemed to be a full clean of pistons along with resetting them and re centering front brake a good few times lol.

Typically I've fixed this and now got a horrible creak coming from what seems like bottom bracket.... Sigh the tribulations of a fancy bike owner.