sunday precessing around the sun

'ning

will it be soggy? ride and coffee beckons

the nights are drawing in, but next week looking sunny
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, raining at the moment so that’s put a dampener on things, just drinking coffee looking at the dark skies no sign of the sun .
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Wet here, should really walk the hounds, but feet are blistered to hell and the legs really broken. Might just go back to sleep
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    started raining as soon as i stepped outside, gave up until later
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Not raining here, but it clouded over as soon as I went outside. It will start tipping it down in 30 minutes when the washing finishes.
    Lazy ish day today. Got my unemployed/wfh badge on zwift so can have a day off from that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Not been up long - good lie in. Need to go retrieve one of my bikes from a mate who's clearing out his garage to actually use it, so will drop by and have a chat in the garden. He only lives a couple of miles away but it's a very circuitous route :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    oxoman said:

How far was the run in the end TLW1.

65 miles according to my mates garmin and 62.6 according to mine 🤬
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

oxoman said:

I'm convinced you have a fully equipped dungeon given how much you like punishing yourself.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

oxoman said:

I'm convinced you have a fully equipped dungeon given how much you like punishing yourself.
    😂 might struggle to walk down the stairs to it. Ankle has ballooned up today
  • tlw1
    oxoman said:

TLW your certifiable, I'll stick with halfs and maybe a full, but that's my limit. And I don't mean pints either.

The pace is a lot slower
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Afternoon, nice 60 mile loop now munching a BBQ chicken sandwich.
    Lots of messing about off road with bon off road tyres, one camera breaking orange bike
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    WTF is going on with this site? Down for days and now randomly logs out devices.

Foggy weekend, lotsa showers about and now raining for the next couple of days it seems. Done a *lot* of bike maintenance / fettling to swap parts about for new frames. Trying to do it with least amount of new bits bought, but thanks to good old bike industry "standards" I still need a f*ckton of parts and will be left with another crate full of stuff that doesn't suit.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed, was more than a little Hank by the time the kids got up and sorted some breakfast for me.
    TLW is beyond certifiable, nobody would believe him and whoever referred him would be the one that got certified.
    I like the orange bike Step, makes my old green Kinesis look quite subtle.
    This site has been logging my phone off for ages, then the sign in page errors so I can't get back in. This creates the illusion I have a life and haven't been on here for a few days in occasion.
    Into the office tomorrow, still can't ride so will have to drive which is tedious to say the least.
  • Stevo_666

This site has been logging my phone off for ages, then the sign in page errors so I can't get back in. This creates the illusion I have a life and haven't been on here for a few days in occasion.

I'm convincing myself I have a life by ordering more take aways and going round to sit in other peoples gardens. Seems to be working.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    V68 is such an amateur. Slow start, slow middle and slow end to the day is what comes with experience.
    Got given a bottle of Jura which will slow things down even more.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Luvverly dads' day. Out for a pootle ride with #1 daughter. She is keen to cycle but lacking confidence to go solo let alone do some road stuff. Took my steel Kona Sutra tourer up on some byways. The Kona is pretty bombproof but on 28s got well skittery on the downs.

So, definitely the n+1 is a gravel. Got work to do: I love my Synapse road bike. Need to find the equivalent on geometry weight etc with fatter tyres. Project there. There are so many offroads where I now live up to and including the Ridgeway that a perfect n+1 will be a bike good on the tarmac and excellent on the rough stuff.

Got a ref from luv2ride OTP about the UK Gravel Bike Club group on Farcebork. Lots of interesting stuff on there.

Got an Aberlour fuskie to open and sample laterz. And zzzzz....
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    V68, the orange may be nice but I have to be careful with it. Known issue with this colour fading in the sun, still if it fads uniformly I'm not too fussed, that or just bar alu an lacquer with some decals.
    Orra, you'll probably see that orange bike photo on there as well haha.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    edited June 2020
    My Wilier has suffered from the notorious top tube paint fading syndrome. It's now such a different colour, it looks like it was deliberate.
    Supposed to be white, it's now a deep cream.

BTW: that 'Easty' would be much nicer if they hadn't put the Photobucket decals all over it.

Have you used some nice colour wax Step?

62.5 miles?! 'Kin 'ell.
    I have no idea what to say.
    Congrats? Yes.
    Mad? Yes.

I guess that's what happens when you mix copious volumes of alcohol and exercise in equal proportions.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

I guess that's what happens when you mix copious volumes of alcohol and exercise in equal proportions.

When I was a student I went on a sponsored marathon distance walk sponsored by Guinness, so they had 'refreshment' stations at regular intervals on the route which only served Guinness and water. Never tried the dark stuff before but thought its free booze so wtf. That was the day I discovered that I couldn't stand Guinness....

• pinno
    edited June 2020
    I was stuck in one new year for some reason that I can't remember. The only thing available to drink was an 8 pack of Guinness. I endured about 2 or 3 cans, not really liking it. A few weeks later, in a pub and someone asked me what I wanted to drink and some voice inside me said 'Guinness'. Dunno why but i've never looked back.
    But proper Dublin Guinness can't be had in the UK for love nor money though it was readily available in Sweden!
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    pinno said:

But proper Dublin Guinness can't be had in the UK for love nor money though it was readily available in Sweden!

Hmmm......
    Must have been a long time since you had a Guiness then, as all their brewing for the UK has been in Dublin since they closed Park Royal brewery in London in 2005 iirc.

Can't stand the stuff myself, even though I can get as much of it as I want for free, due to "family connections".

• pinno
    Cargobike said:

pinno said:

Hmmm......
    Must have been a long time since you had a Guiness then, as all their brewing for the UK has been in Dublin since they closed Park Royal brewery in London in 2005 iirc.

Can't stand the stuff myself, even though I can get as much of it as I want for free, due to "family connections".

Years ago, my first 'proper job' was brazing assembly at IMI Cornelius.
    One of the more intricate assemblies was the Guinness coolers.
    Back then, the 'Import' cooler (for UK sales and some foreign destinations) consisted of 2 stainless steel coils which cooled the Guinness to a pre-set temperature. It retailed then for £270.
    The 'Export' cooler (for the Irish market) consisted of 5 ss coils and a temperature controller between all 5. It retailed at well over £500 (early 90's).
    That is why it takes eons to draw a pint of proper Dublin Guinness.

It may be brewed in Dublin but not only is it a different recipe, it is cooled in a different way.

Don't worry. I have had the stuff in Stockholm, Gothenburg, Rotterdam, all around Southern Ireland, all over the UK and in Belfast.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    There you go, learn something new every day :D