Chirping

Within the last few weeks, replaced my chain/crankset, cassette and chain. On the last two rides, I've noticed a chirping noise at the back wheel area when pedalling only and more pronounced when changing gear. After checking to see if there were any birds trapped there, Google pointed the finger at the rear derailleur.

Any thoughts on whether replacing the pulleys would do the trick?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Possibly but you could just clean and lube them see if that works.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    Take them out. Clean the wheels bushing, axle. Use light oil or chain lube. Avoid using grease, I tried it once and that made them squeak after a couple of days.
  • gummomarx
    gummomarx Posts: 64
    Will do - thanks.
  • gummomarx
    I've disassembled the pulleys and noted the direction of each (using the text). The lower pulley is fine but I've found that the upper one (only after scraping and washing the dirt off) has an extra wee symbol on one side and two wee round indents on the other.

These differences don't appear to matter but I've a niggling thought that they might.

I've attached images of each side.

Any ideas?

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    The notches don't matter and they are uni-directional. This is the centeron G pulley which denotes it should be placed at the top of the cage (nearest the cassette) as it has a slight lateral float built in to allow for easier indexing and better shifting

A good clean of all parts and light lube should shut the Budgie up!😀👍
  • gummomarx
    Thanks for the advice.