New UCI calendar

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
I'm surprised this isn't doesn't have a thread here yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/52538290

Tour in Aug/Sept, Giro and Vuleta to overalap by a week in Oct/Nov.

One day classics on at the same time as the tours.

Is this realistic, or will it all fall apart again?

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'm sure it has been discussed quite a lot, possibly in the "coronavirus and pro sport" thread?

That Super Sunday where we have the final stage of the Giro, Paris-Roubaix, and the Vuelta will be quite something... I'll have to renew Eurosport.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

I'm sure it has been discussed quite a lot, possibly in the "coronavirus and pro sport" thread?

That Super Sunday where we have the final stage of the Giro, Paris-Roubaix, and the Vuelta will be quite something... I'll have to renew Eurosport.

And this is that Vuelta Stage

Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Odd that they manage to have a 9 day gap between the end of the Tour and the Binckbank.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

Odd that they manage to have a 9 day gap between the end of the Tour and the Binckbank.

That's when the World Championships are, which aren't part of the World Tour
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    I seen the Giro are amending the route, and the Vuelta has removed some stages, but is the Tour going to go ahead as planned with the exact same stages? I must have missed if that was mentioned
  • RichN95.

I seen the Giro are amending the route, and the Vuelta has removed some stages, but is the Tour going to go ahead as planned with the exact same stages? I must have missed if that was mentioned

I think so. The Vuelta and Giro have cut their foreign starts and the Giro are replacing those stages. The Giro may have problems with the very high summits. The Tour is unchanged.
  • blazing_saddles
    Palermo apparently replacing Budapest as the location of the opening time trial stage.
    Makes sense as Monreale, the start of the first Italian road stage, is basically a hill above the city.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Eurosport will find some obscure tennis tournament to show that weekend.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    So, any predictions on what could happen to the calendar if the revised schedule actually turns out to be a massive success??

Could there be the possibility of permanent changes to traditional race dates?
  • takethehighroad
    The Italians have made a deal out of the late season classics in the last few years, making them more of a coherent calendar.

If Paris Roubaix is wet then I think everyone will want to keep it in October!

Can see the shortened Vuelta remaining short. It has been spoken about for a couple of years
  • blazing_saddles
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020
    The French Federation has permitted amateur races from now on as well

The Tour is still two months and ten days away
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    RichN95. said:

Anyone would think you're counting the days Rich! :D
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    redvision said:

RichN95. said:

Anyone would think you're counting the days Rich! :D
    I'm wondering whether it is the start of the tour or being declared right that is most important.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    No racing in the UK for now.

Looks like TTs might start up again soonish.

BC advice is that clubs can start riding in groups of 6 with 2m social distancing (but ideally smaller groups), but our club and presumably many others have decided that is not really practical. Although I've seen quite a few groups on the road!
  • RichN95.

I'm wondering whether it is the start of the tour or being declared right that is most important.

Being right, definitely
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

Being right, definitely
    More very good news for those of us waiting to be declared right.

France to allow up to 5,000 fans to watch sport in stadiums from July 11th, a figure that may increase later in the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53119479

As things currently stand, I'd say that was game, set, match.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550

No racing in the UK for now.

Looks like TTs might start up again soonish.

BC advice is that clubs can start riding in groups of 6 with 2m social distancing (but ideally smaller groups), but our club and presumably many others have decided that is not really practical. Although I've seen quite a few groups on the road!

I was out yesterday and saw about 5 or 6 groups of 6 in 60 miles.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    There's an actual pro bike race today - the Slovenian championships
  • gweeds
    With a big hill at the end
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Rog beat Pog
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Turns out Rogla has his own anthem!

https://youtu.be/PD79-h6pvWw
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    The only cloud I see now is the sort of spike Germany are starting to see around refrigerated factories.

Other than that we are 39 days away from pro racing.
  • takethehighroad
    Less than that, the Sibiu Tour starts a month today (Pascal Ackerman amongst others on the startlist) and the Vuelta Burgos (with 12 WT teams competing) starts 5 weeks today
  • blazing_saddles
    Half hour highlights show from Slovenian tv.

https://4d.rtvslo.si/arhiv/sportne-reportaze/174702131
  • gweeds
    Pogacar got completely mugged there. Also, that moto in the last 500m. GET OUT OF THE FUCKING RACE.
  • blazing_saddles
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/tour-de-france-director-gives-update-on-safety-measures-for-fans-and-riders-458578

There is very little of substance in that piece, other than it looks as if the publicity caravan will not be completely scrapped.

Prudhomme added that the advertising caravan, a convoy of hundreds of vehicles promoting different companies that travels each stage ahead of the peloton, will be at 60 per cent of its previous size, due to the economic impact coronavirus has had on businesses.

And this on crowds.

“There will surely be no kisses or hugs during official ceremonies. And one might think that it is certainly not the best year to collect autographs. The public may come to the Tour but there will be a filter. In the mountains, we will favour those who climb on foot, by bicycle or in the transport established by local communities."
  • RichN95.
    L'Etape is going ahead on September 6th as well which I'm very surprised about.
  • blazing_saddles
    More good news as the Worlds get the go ahead for Switzerland rather than switching to the Middle East..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/switzerland-2020-world-championships-given-green-light-after-coronavirus-uncertainty-458696
  • takethehighroad
    Slightly bad news though, that the UCI won't reschedule the events so the ITT is the same day as the last stage of the Tour. Seems an absolutely baffling decision, that only the UCI could make