Neo 2T v Wahoo Kickr v Watt Atom

Missing cycling, for various reasons setting up a home gym, dedicated space, awaiting delivery of new log cabin, expecting to spend a lot of time in it. I have a treadmill (do about 50 miles a week) and weight pulley system already looking to add bike.
I have a Mason Bokeh as my one and bike Inc commuting.
My initial thoughts were direct drive turbo either the Neo 2T or Wahoo Kickr and eventually add the climb and second bike. I originally dismissed static spin bike on basis of costing but looking at the Watt Atom at £1600 works out about same as top end trainer plus second bike, more convenient always there ready to go less wear and tear on bike easier adjustable for family members (they hardly use Treadmill) however from reading DC Rainmaker reviews it seems it won't offer as real ride feel as a DD turbo. Main difference being gear/resistance changes. Thing that makes cycling, cycling to me is flicking levers to change gear the clicking seeing/,hearing/feeling parts move, one of reasons why didn't go electric gears.
I've done a few spin classes on static bike and for a quick 45 min focused workout was fine but not sure if it'll get a bit dull after a couple hours longer rides (yes I know it's still indoor riding compared to outdoor ) so anyone experience of using both DD turbo and the Atom? Is the Atom really going to be less real than real bike on turbo?
The "proper" gear changing on the other smart bikes like the Tacx/Wahoo/Stages are all over £2.5k which to me doesn't make economical sense when their equivalent trainer plus second bike (that then could be used outdoors) would be cheaper.
The Atom specs seems on par with the high end turbos , ust seems a bit of a trade off in terms of ride feel but again reviews seem old and firmware updates may have changed the feel?
The initial cost of Neo/Wahoo with one bike is slightly less but be hard to justify to Mrs of second bike for awhile and I'll probably end up damaging/scratching my bike and get fed up with setup taking wheel on/off all the time , plus only me would be able to use it and more maintance one drive chain two cassettes etc makes the Atom appealing the initial outlay be absorbed/forgotten (like the Treadmill/bike) but don't want scraffic ride feel/feedback /user experience so ends up being sat collecting dust or sparly used. I want be able do long classic rides on it from home (love do bike packing but can't in real world but could in gym)
So which would you go for and why?
Tia Andy

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Neo every time. Tried the Atom and it isn't a match for a top end DD smart trainer, plus there's no hardship in removing the rear wheel and putting it back on and you don't have a great hunk of clothes horse taking up space. Somebody I ride with is a weaker cyclist than me, but with his indoor rides on his Atom he is putting out numbers in excess of what he is capable of.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I run my wahoo kickr with my only good road bike, I was going to buy a cheap Ali 11 speed bike to keep as a dedicated zwift bike, but so far I don't have a problem taking the bike on and off the kickr, im a one arm paracyclist and once you get the technique dialled its easy enough.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    So....

I'm an Atom owner, after Direct Drive. No way would I go back. The experience is so much better, no faff, total connectivity, easy adjustment.

To boot, even though I tried hard I proper fecked my last bike, to the extent I was going to get a dedicated turbo bike.
    Insert bike here:
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 106
    I have the kickr core, with winter bike I'll swap over in winter. You will buy core and climb for same money as the kickr. Don't know why anyone would pay extra for the kickr. I absolutely love zwift, certainly has improved me as a cyclist. Honestly I didn't see me spending more than 60 mins on indoor bike, but I've done a few 100k on it. Im still considering a smart bike, mainly for me and my wife. But I think my most likely option will be to upgrade her liv tiagra to all 11 Speed. It's easy enough to swap over now, but it was a handling at the start. I will keep an eye on the wahoo bike, if down around 2 next winter I'd consider it. I'd be buying nothing untill this cv19 clears up, prices are nuts.
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    It seems to me people divide them selves into Wahoo or Tacx, I have a Neo, quite happy with it. Spending that sort of money for a trainer, getting a second dedicated bike for it is not much more money.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've got a Kickr Core, as above I don't really see the benefit of upgrading to the Kickr and you can get the climb + core combo if you wanted.

I always direct people to DC Rainmaker's reviews: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/wahoo-kickr-core-trainer-in-depth-review-2.html

The Core is essentially just the 2017 Kickr with different legs and quieter running, which makes it a very good value proposition since everyone liked the 2017 Kickr. I read a lot of reviews before buying and it was this which eventually made my decision.

I run my old road bike (2012 aluminium Giant Defy) on it. It's worth having a second bike just to avoid the faff of taking my road bike up and down the stairs to the spare room, but if you were doing your training in the same place you store your bike it would be less of a pain. It's easy enough to take the bike on and off as you just drop the back wheel out and put it on the trainer. Bear in mind that with the Climb you would need to take the front wheel off and connect that up too, although that is not going to be too challenging.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    mpatts said:

So....

I'm an Atom owner, after Direct Drive. No way would I go back. The experience is so much better, no faff, total connectivity, easy adjustment.

To boot, even though I tried hard I proper fecked my last bike, to the extent I was going to get a dedicated turbo bike.

Whats the faff with DD? A decent DD trainer and a second bike is about the cost of the Atom. I've used a DD trainer since 2016 and none of my bikes have suffered on them. If you're training, training on your actual bike is far more beneficial than an Atom particularly if you're doing TTs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.