How many bikes, is to many

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited June 2020 in The bottom bracket
I have Four road and one commute bike, I am gating an ear bashing about only being able to ride one bike at at time, Etc etc
Surely five is not to many , is it ?

Comments

• Five is not too many, and don't call me Shirley!!!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    I have five but my defence is that they all get ridden more than my wife's one.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    mrb123 said:

I have five but my defence is that they all get ridden more than my wife's one.

😀

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the current number of bikes you own. There is no maximum.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    4 road, 3 mtb, TT, singlespeed CX and unicycle. Count the tandem as a shared bike.

I’m just over the cusp of what the wife is happy with, but as she can still (just) fit her car in the garage I get away with it
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    mrb123 said:

I have five but my defence is that they all get ridden more than my wife

EFA
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    wongataa said:

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the current number of bikes you own. There is no maximum.

=> n+2 is too many. Problem solved*

*assuming you don't ever buy two bikes at the same time, which does begin to look a little excessive
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

wongataa said:

=> n+2 is too many. Problem solved*

*assuming you don't ever buy two bikes at the same time, which does begin to look a little excessive
    Your maths is sound. If I could get by without a car I would and get at worst get a cargo bike as an alternative

Currently I have three build, one boxed and another in bits scattered around the garage, the latter being the stealthy way of hiding it as it looks more like spare parts than a bike.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    One less than the number of guns I own seems a good rule.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    tlw1 said:

mrb123 said:

EFA
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    I know my sig is all wrong, but currently at 8, considering #9. Three full suspension MTB (one Ti, two Aluminium), 1 carbon hardtail, 2 alloy hardtails, one carbon roadie, and an old steel pub bike. Considering another carbon HT frame...

There were 11 in the garage at one point a few years back
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    There's no such thing as too many.
    As long as they have a use then they are appropriate purchases.
    I'm presently in double figures although the vast majority are cargobikes for my business, but still have a Focus CX, Stanton hardtail mtb, Kona pub bike, a Shand Stoater and am awaiting delivery of a steel Racer Rosa.

If I had to manage with one bike only I'd manage perfectly well wit my Larry vs Harry Bullitt cargobike.

Then again the missus has a Mercedes sat on the drive doing absolutely bugger all since she stupidly got banned for drink driving just after Christmas, so she can hardly complain.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited June 2020
    You can never have enough bikes but o's you have to limit.

(not many people in Lincolnshire but they're all related).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    pinno said:

You can never have enough bikes but o's you have to limit.

(not many people in Lincolnshire but they're all related).

High Six! :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    :)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    currently use 3 these get used every week
    road
    Hybrid
    MTB

but also have another 2 MTBs one is in storage the other i recently got out of storage for use but needs a few jobs doing first as soon as the LBS is open
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    tlw1 said:

mrb123 said:

EFA
    The assumption being that you know for definite the extent of her riding. ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

tlw1 said:

mrb123 said:

EFA
    The assumption being that you know for definite the extent of her riding. ;)
    For at least 3 of the 5 bikes I can confirm the assumption was definitely correct.