conti GP5000 break in period

50x11
50x11 Posts: 408
Just fitted these new from my bike, the feel very glossy and have more excess rubber in the middle of the tyre than any other i have ever used.

Should I do anything to break them in for riding? Or should I just get out on them and ride, cannot be bothered crashing due to new tyres. Thanks.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Just go out cycling. Don't overthink things.
  • 50x11
    wongataa said:

Just go out cycling. Don't overthink things.

Thanks bud, that's what I want to do but the thought of being on slidy rubber while out there is annoying.

Main reason I ask is it's much more noticeable on these tyres than any other I've used.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As soon as they've rotated they'll not be glossy.

Just take it steady on your first ride to get used to them but really they'll be fine.

If you crash it will be down to you and not the tyres.
  • fenix said:

Sorry fenix.

First rule of cycling....it is never your fault if you crash. It is the road, the weather, your gears, your tyres, your riding partner or car drivers (especially panzerwaggens).

Personally I blame Zola Budd.
  • 50x11

fenix said:

Sorry fenix.

First rule of cycling....it is never your fault if you crash. It is the road, the weather, your gears, your tyres, your riding partner or car drivers (especially panzerwaggens).

Personally I blame Zola Budd.
    To be fair the last crash I had, it was the drivers fault. But then he might blame what exciting stuff was happening on his phone when he hit me.
  • 50x11
    fenix said:

As soon as they've rotated they'll not be glossy.

Just take it steady on your first ride to get used to them but really they'll be fine.

Cheers, they just stood out as glossy to me, considered some wet and dry but not going down that route.

I'll take it easy for a while, wonder if it's worth riding some roads round me with the grippy corner stuff down. Or might just do intervals round the outdoor track.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    They're brilliant tyres, and very grippy even in the wet as descending the Col de Telegraphe in the thunderstorm after the end of the Valloire stage last year proved.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    edited June 2020
    50x11 said:

Just fitted these new from my bike, the feel very glossy and have more excess rubber in the middle of the tyre than any other i have ever used.

Should I do anything to break them in for riding? Or should I just get out on them and ride, cannot be bothered crashing due to new tyres. Thanks.

I've noticed they have this strange waxy finish on them, soon rubs off with a ride
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I oil my tyres regularly for maximum longevity.

Works for my kitchen worktop also.
  • When I put oil on our kitchen worktop my domestic goddess hits me with a frying pan.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    In all seriousness, I've been riding bikes for nearly 40 years, driving for nearly 30, and never remotely considered bedding in tyres.

At most you are worried about a release layer, from the mold. Most likely it is actually a surface finish from manufacturing.

See for example the shiny F1 tyres as the roll down the pit road.
  • 50x11

In all seriousness, I've been riding bikes for nearly 40 years, driving for nearly 30, and never remotely considered bedding in tyres.

At most you are worried about a release layer, from the mold. Most likely it is actually a surface finish from manufacturing.

See for example the shiny F1 tyres as the roll down the pit road.

Thanks bud, I know what you mean, I've only got 10 years riding, but I've never had tyres out the box that seem so gloss finished.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The gloss will last about 30 seconds. Maybe less, I haven't actually timed it..
  • hhelbein
    hhelbein Posts: 5
    I just put on a new pair of Conti 5000 clinchers on new wheels and went out for a 50 mile ride on Saturday. No issues. Seemed pretty grippy.
  • 50x11
    Yeah I've done some rides now the excess rubber and sheen wore off quickly, just took it easy in the corners. Very impressed noticeably faster my gatorskins.

So far so good.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    It's mould release agent and can be removed by rubbing a cloth soaked in white vinegar around the tyre. Or you could ride some of the roads near me and the coating will be gone in 60 seconds
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    50x11 said:

Yeah I've done some rides now the excess rubber and sheen wore off quickly, just took it easy in the corners. Very impressed noticeably faster my gatorskins.

So far so good.

Anything is better than Gatorskins :p

Yeah they are really smooth tyres, I've been very impressed. It's a while since I had the 4000s on but I think they are possibly a bit better.
  • 50x11

50x11 said:

So far so good.

Anything is better than Gatorskins :p

Yeah they are really smooth tyres, I've been very impressed. It's a while since I had the 4000s on but I think they are possibly a bit better.
    Very true, I had 4000's years ago on a better bike before I took a break. I'd say after the rides I've done on the 5000's they're certainly the best tyres I've ridden.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    A hosepipe would be better to ride on than a Gatorskin!
    I loved GP4000s' but the GP5000s are even better.