How many fingers for braking with Shimano STI Hydraulic

Did that thing where I started thinking too much about what I was doing and now not sure what the most "natural" way to do this is.

Anyways, how many fingers do you use for braking with hydraulic discs and what does your hand position look like? I'm thinking more for CX (which is the main reason I ride a drop bar bike) but also for road in general.

Two fingers for braking and then leave those two on the front of STI lever? Two fingers for braking but move one finger back behind the front of the STI lever when you're not braking? One finger braking?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    On the hoods or on the drops ?

Really you're overthinking it.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Do whatever is comfortable for you
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fenix said:

Really you're overthinking it.

^^^ this.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    Due to distribution in braking force, the front brake needs two fingers and the back only needs one.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

Due to distribution in braking force, the front brake needs two fingers and the back only needs one.

Don't forget to modify depending on the size of your rotors, 140mm at the back should be 1.5 fingers, 160mm means 1 finger.
  • imposter2.0

Don't forget to modify depending on the size of your rotors, 140mm at the back should be 1.5 fingers, 160mm means 1 finger.
    Half a finger is not going to reach the lever...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625

Depends which half.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

Depends on the length of the complete finger doesn't it?
  • imposter2.0
    johngti said:

Depends on the length of the complete finger doesn't it?

True, but unless you've got fingers like Edward Scissorhands, I still think it will be a problem...

• rebartle
    rebartle Posts: 1
    Sometimes when I'm chilled out I use my toes.