Heavy rider advice

I have recently purchased a giant talon 2 29er. It’s my first MTB with front suspension. I’m over 26 stone so the front suspension is pretty much defunct, is there an issue with running with them constantly locked out? Is there a danger of the lockout mechanism failing??
The forks being locked aren’t an issue in regards to my rides as I do 20 mile max on reasonably smooth trails at the moment.
Is it worth upgrading the forks or should I just run locked til I’ve lost more weight?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited June 2020
    Your ok running on smooth level ground with the forks locked out. Damage can be caused if constantly locked out on rough bumpy off road tracks over time. They won't just fail if you hit a bump or pothole too hard.

Your forks also have what's called turnkey lockout which is a design feature that goes some way to protecting lockout mechanisms against big hits or unexpected jolts.

Run forks how you like but if on familiar routes and you know there is an unavoidable bump or rough ground get used to unlocking them and you should not have any problems with lockout failing. If ever something on your forks fail, upgrade then.

Don't worry, enjoy the ride, stick with it and watch
    your weight come down. Happy riding Pal!

• failesa
    failesa Posts: 10

Your ok running on smooth level ground with the forks locked out. Damage can be caused if constantly locked out on rough bumpy off road tracks over time. They won't just fail if you hit a bump or pothole too hard.

Your forks also have what's called turnkey lockout which is a design feature that goes some way to protecting lockout mechanisms against big hits or unexpected jolts.

Run forks how you like but if on familiar routes and you know there is an unavoidable bump or rough ground get used to unlocking them and you should not have any problems with lockout failing. If ever something on your forks fail, upgrade then.

Don't worry, enjoy the ride, stick with it and watch
    your weight come down. Happy riding Pal!

Cheers. That’s put my mind at ease a little.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    B)