Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

For me this would be lunar stuff. Supermoons, blue moons and lunar eclipses. These things often make the news too.

Smart phones

Astronomical transits, for example the ISS crossing the Moon or Mercury crossing the Sun.

Any and everything involving the royal family, not including deaths.

Tyre compounds, torque vectoring, adjustable engine management settings or stuff that is generally available to the public, but only really makes a tangible difference when racing or competing. Cycling world is the worst for this sort of crap. One example; a carbon fibre bottle cage costing £60 when I purchased the one next to it costing about a fiver. Come to think of it, that won't affect an individuals race performance either, not even negligibly.

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Led Zepplin.

I owned one of there albums once, got rid of it to a grateful mate. Never again.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Poetry
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Opera.
    Full stop.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    mrfpb said:

Led Zepplin.

I owned one of there albums once, got rid of it to a grateful mate. Never again.

Get. Out.
  • Politics and politicians.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Modern cars. Yes I like to get from A to B in relative comfort but pretty much all do the job.

Fitted kitchens - well ripping out perfectly functional kitchens and spending a small fortune on something that is no better just not quite as dated.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Binge watching.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    The Archers stopping temporarily because of CV19.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    I'm putting this here because clearly she gives no f's about making a cup of tea and I am absolutely livid.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Rumours that Dominic Cummings will get a knighthood.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    rjsterry said:

I'm putting this here because clearly she gives no f's about making a cup of tea and I am absolutely livid.

What the fuckfuckityfuckfuck was that!?!
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Fleabag. The Guardian is obsessed with it.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    nickice said:

Since you mention that ... Killing Eve. What a load of shizzle!
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    me-109 said:

nickice said:

Since you mention that ... Killing Eve. What a load of shizzle!
    Never seen that fortunatley. In fact, Phoebe Waller-Bridge in general.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Clapping for the NHS

There, I said it!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    oxoman said:

Politics, BS, liars and people wanting to rewrite history because they don't agree with it. You can change the future not the past.

History = study of the past

Past = the past

History is in a constant state of rewriting the past. That is the point of history.
  • But you can't change the past. Not even the great unwashed in Bristol can do that.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Social media.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Words. They're just a combination of mind fvcks.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2020

But you can't change the past. Not even the great unwashed in Bristol can do that.

Can change history, however.

After all, the past can’t be changed, but our understanding of it is “history” and that is always changing.

It’s why the whole “it’s revisionist history” bit is odd as history is in constant state of revision.
  • You can't change history. You can learn from it.
    History is over and done.
    Only the pinkos and politically correct brigade try to rewrite history to suit their own prejudices.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Checking out the new thread of the day, only to find it contains exactly the same crap as yesterday's new thread of the day.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

But you can't change the past. Not even the great unwashed in Bristol can do that.

After all, the past can’t be changed, but our understanding of it is “history” and that is always changing.

It’s why the whole “it’s revisionist history” bit is odd as history is in constant state of revision.
    At some point in the late 60s and early 70s our opponents in WW2 stopped being Germans and became The Nazis, would you agree that was a conscious decision to revision that period of history.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway.

Any superhero film which seems to break box office records every time they’re released
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

What I think Rick is trying to say is quite simple: You can change how the past is perceived and interpreted.
    In other words historical actions cannot be changed, but evaluations and therefore doctrine can, by future generations of historians.

However, there will always be dissenters.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

At some point in the late 60s and early 70s our opponents in WW2 stopped being Germans and became The Nazis, would you agree that was a conscious decision to revision that period of history.
    Sure history is a living breathing thing but I think a lot of people miss out the fact that history is always contemporary (the subject just happens to be the past) and so gets buffeted by the preoccupations of the now.

Of course, it’s not as linear as that as the past also impacts the present, but you get the idea.

Today’s story of the past is different to yesterday’s and so on.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Stevo_666 said:

Rumours that Dominic Cummings will get a knighthood.

Knighthoods generally.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

Anyway.

Any superhero film which seems to break box office records every time they’re released

Was going to be my choice. Alongside science fiction they have no real-life rules they need to follow and yet somehow manage to follow the same, formulaic plot everyone and the fight scenes between two 'indestructible' superheroes are just mind-numbingly boring.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Football.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Football.

Oldie but a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM