When to change your saddle

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
As per the title when is the right time to change a saddle, I’m not talking about because it’s not comfortable I mean your regular seat.

I use fizik Arione which has been fine for 7 or 8 years but recently split on the left seam which is exactly where I’ve developed a painful saddle sore, is it possible that could be the cause?

If that is the case how does that work through bib shorts?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Depends how much use it gets. Fizik recommend changing your saddle every two years I think. The Fizik saddles aren’t as robust as the Brooks saddles for example which I would expect to last years.

You know the right thing to do. Get a new one and bin it.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Two years!
    As an avid follower of Rule 12 (N+1) that would cost me a fortune.
    Sod that.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    edited June 2020
    Sorry guys 5 years fizik say "Our experience tells us that a professional cyclist changes the saddle after 10,000km (about 6,200 miles)," says Carlo, "This is due to the fact that the amount of time they spend in the saddle and the power they deliver is very high in a very short period (10,000km in three months, more or less).

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    If it isn't uncomfortable why change?

I'd be inclined to inspect it for damage and change in shape and if there are signs of it sagging or structurally splitting then change it.

I have a Selle Italia which has split along the edge, near the nose, and has some of the contract stitching worn away. It hasn't sagged or broken.

I've wrapped the nose in black electrical tape and am still riding it. For a saddle I'd rather keep with something which works than risk a change, especially if you can't replace like to like.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well if the saddle damage is where you're getting pains and everything has been fine until now - then get a new one.

• fenix said:

Well if the saddle damage is where you're getting pains and everything has been fine until now - then get a new one.

Errr...that's much too obvious.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Innit.
  • itboffin
    That’s what I thought, it’s not sagging or looking worn and the seam split is also more worn than the other side which makes me think my alignment and or leg length might be uneven, I’ll try a shim in the left shoe
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    I am currently an Arione devotee, have a raft of Arione CX saddles, and an 00, although just sold another one for pretty much what I paid for it.

I have however also bought a Berk saddle, which is SUPER light, and keep meaning to try it to see how I get on. Don't know if one of those is of any interest?
    If you message Jure direct, he often offers you a better price than through the site or a retailer like Sigma.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Jure?