Etape du Tour 2020

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Only thing they could have done. Be interesting if they can reschedule. i'm sure Nice will want the cyclist euros, if at all possible. However not everyone will take up their entries, or can be expected to, so again be interesting to see if refunds are offered.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Can’t see them wanting 15000 people from all over the world all in the same place at the moment.

Who knows what the world will be like in September
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    dish_dash said:

It's now been postponed. Will see if they try to fit it into the new Tour timing...

Fingers crossed that they can reschedule, and flights / hotels are available...
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    According to an email from ASO this morning, this year's edition is cancelled. At least for individual entries, ASO are offering a credit equal to what you paid on future events. If you don't use the credit you can have refund in 18 months time. I don't know how it will work if you booked a inclusive tour including accommodation with an operator.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I didn't realise that they ran etape events all over the world.
    Must admit it's the French one that I want to do.
    Fingers crossed for next year.
  • Dorset_Boy
    I'd expect someone to challenge ASO on having to wait 18 months for a refund - struggle to see how that can be legal.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    My understanding is that the 18 month thing is based on a decree of the French government that has been brought in to assist businesses.
  • sherer
    fenix said:

they launched the global events this year. Looks like they chose the wrong year to do that. Think oneof them went ahead at the start of the year
  • Dorset_Boy
    sherer said:

fenix said:

they launched the global events this year. Looks like they chose the wrong year to do that. Think oneof them went ahead at the start of the year
    They've had global events for a few years now. This year isn't the first.

• it has not been cancelled as yet, they are still aiming for September.
  • fenix
    Really?

This seems to suggest differently but the communication has been poor anyway.

https://www.timeto.com/en-GB/sports/cycling/letape-du-tour-2020/informations
  • sherer
    the posts I saw on facebook suggested that the edition will be run at some point, no idea if that will be this year or next. there will also be a 21 edition, so you can decide if you want a refund, or put the money towards 20 or 21 edition of the event
  • yes, my travel company say they will have a date in about 10 days, we will see.
  • fenix
    New mail from the etape people saying that the definitive date of this year's etape will be communicated by 30th June at the latest.

I know it's not been easy but they haven't handled this very well so far.

I've had flights cancelled for August now so I doubt that our airlines will be back to normal by September anyway.
  • s2_dpd
    s2_dpd Posts: 46
    I managed to get both flight (Easyjet) and hotel (IBIS) vouchers last week for the 3 of us already registered, so hoping they come up with a sensible date in the next 12 months I can re-book.

I'm thinking it may be scaled back in terms of number of entries, therefore not an automatic right to be in the Nice event should it be run there?
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited June 2020
    Sunday 6th September is the new date for the Etape.

personally I'm amazed they are planning to run the event this year, and I won't be taking up my entry.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Yeah... just seen that! I'm surprised that it's running but then the continent seems to be opening up so why not.

Not sure the revised dates work for me, even if I could travel, so I may transfer to next year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    edited June 2020
    fenix said:

New mail from the etape people saying that the definitive date of this year's etape will be communicated by 30th June at the latest.

I know it's not been easy but they haven't handled this very well so far.

I've had flights cancelled for August now so I doubt that our airlines will be back to normal by September anyway.

As a sense of perspective, I heard yesterday that Jet2 were paying people off and running a reduced service till the end of the year.
    End of next year! 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Well, I've just booked a hotel and changed my flight dates.
    Got to be optimistic about these things!
    Fingers crossed it can go ahead...
  • fenix

Saturday 6th September is the new date for the Etape.

personally I'm amazed they are planning to run the event this year, and I won't be taking up my entry.

Sunday 6th.

I'm not taking my place up. It's meant to be a week long family holiday and I think we will do next year instead.

Interesting article from US Cycling.

Quite optimistic about the infection chance outside but then it does say the days of mass peletons of strangers is over.

https://www.velonews.com/training/qa-dr-michael-roshon-chief-medical-officer-for-usa-cycling/
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    Trains and accommodation already booked for the first weekend in September but with free cancellation options. That way, I've got July to try and get fitter and
    it gives some time to see if the Covid risks are acceptable.
  • sherer
    i was expecting them to run two Etapes next year to be honest. Now to see if I can get time off, unfortunately just a weekend now rather than staying on for a few more days riding
  • fenix
    If I were the mayor of Nice I'd be asking if they could repeat the stage next year too. They won't get the numbers this year.

Also I'm a bit unclear as to how we enter for next year. Do we get automatic entry if we can't take up this year's place or enter the draw again ?

Should be in Nice now. Ho hum.
  • Dorset_Boy
    fenix said:

If I were the mayor of Nice I'd be asking if they could repeat the stage next year too. They won't get the numbers this year.

Also I'm a bit unclear as to how we enter for next year. Do we get automatic entry if we can't take up this year's place or enter the draw again ?

Should be in Nice now. Ho hum.

I think we'll get an email this month asking whether we want to take up our places in September or defer them.
    I should have been flying out today too.
  • s2_dpd
    I'm still expecting the entry numbers to be reduced by ASO, can't see the people of Nice wanting 15,000 folk turning up for the weekend. They may also have to limit which countries they can take entries from?

If this is the case, then I can only think there will be a re-registration or ballot process we need to go through?

As already highlighted, we should know by mid-July, but then again we were previously told we would know by end of June.

I've used my hotel voucher to book rooms which can be cancelled, leaving the flights until I know more.
  • s2_dpd
    I've committed to the new date in Sept - used my hotel and easyJet vouchers - so see how it goes
  • nezza
    nezza Posts: 14
    Now cancelled. Same route will be operated next July instead.
  • What an absolute mess.
  • fenix
    Sensible decision. They should have done this weeks ago and not raised everyone's hopes of doing it this year.

See you in Nice 2021 !
  • Dorset_Boy
    I agree. The sensible decision and one that should have been made 6 weeks ago.
    I think they should run the Nice Etape in late May, and the 2021 Etape in mid July rather than trying to do both in July 2021.