Out of stock??

Is it just me or have all the decent mid range bikes gone out of stock? If you look at any of the <£500 bikes from MBR's guides not one is found.

Is this normal for this time of year, related to stock not coming in due to covid-19, demand being higher because of covid-19 restrictions, or something else?

Also, anyone got thoughts on when we'll see bikes being back in stock? Was thinking we'd need one about August time, so doing research now so ready to pull trigger if prices change.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The lockdown has had a huge impact on bike sales. I was chatting to my LBS owner on Monday and he estimates a 70% increase in sales against this time last year. If you couple that with the temporary closure of cycle manufacturing plants around the world it's no wonder there is very little stock available.
    As countries come out of lockdown and manufacturing starts up again I reckon we'll see new stock start to appear in a month or so.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    When everyone goes back to work and it starts raining again there will be thousands of second hand, barely used bikes for sale. B)
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    johnwards said:

Is it just me or have all the decent mid range bikes gone out of stock? If you look at any of the <£500 bikes from MBR's guides not one is found.

Is this normal for this time of year.</p>

No it's not. Neither is the pandemic.

There's been huge demand across the board for bikes, but more so in entry level/mid budget bikes. According to one distributor in BikeBiz at the end of last month all their 2020 stock allocation sold in just over a month.

Obviously some manufactureres ship later than others, especially higher end models as they take current orders and meet demand during the same season, but that results in 3 month lead times and the pandemic will only move delivery times back even further.

I doubt volume manufacturers will be able to make many more bikes this year, if at all, as they'll be concentrating on building up stocks for the 2021 season by now.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited June 2020
    The manufacturers were affected by the pandemic as well, don't forget. So early stocks of the 2021 bikes may be in shorter supply than usual, unless they can make up the lost production.
  • johnwards
    johnwards Posts: 10
    Fingers crossed there will be some deals coming up later in the year.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    johnwards said:

Is it just me or have all the decent mid range bikes gone out of stock? If you look at any of the <£500 bikes from MBR's guides not one is found</p>

Mid Range for under 500!? Most bikes (entry level) under 1k are out of stock.... Every tom dick and Harry are buying bikes, all with good intentions - they won't last!
  • its not just bikes out off stock .... helmets too ...

anyone in the know about when or if new stock will arrive in the uk ?

i need a road helmet , new BB for my rocky ridge , was in the market for a new hardtail this year as well , but no chance now .
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    According to some industry figures, bike sales were up by as much as 500% in some months.
    Many dealers have no stock now, and will get no more until they get 2021 models later in the year.
    If you want a bike, I'd suggest you choose from what's available, rather than deciding what you want and then trying to find it.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 295
    BBC article about the very subject https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53023552
  • steve_sordy
    Now is the time to sell off all your old kit.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

Now is the time to sell off all your old kit.

It's got me thinking.... I've got a Giant Defy 3 road bike that doesn't get used. I've offered it to my son (for free) if he wants it. He is a mtber and isn't sure if he wants it or has the space. It might be too small for him, it's what Giant describe as M/L, I guess he needs to check and make a decision... otherwise I might try selling.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I managed to find a cube mtb in xl frame but I've got too wait 10 days to pick it up and I've got to travel 80 miles to collect from the shop thats got it.
    I added the bike to my basket and there were 3 shops that had it but varied in distance and also between 10 days and 21 days to pick it up.
    I left it overnight then next day it had gone to 2 shops only so quickly did it.
    I read somewhere that some bike shops that ordered early enough pre lockdown will get there 2021 bike stock earlier than those that didn't.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142

johnwards said:

Is it just me or have all the decent mid range bikes gone out of stock? If you look at any of the <£500 bikes from MBR's guides not one is found</p>

Mid Range for under 500!? Most bikes (entry level) under 1k are out of stock.... Every tom censored and Harry are buying bikes, all with good intentions - they won't last!
    johnwards said:

Fingers crossed there will be some deals coming up later in the year.

If you don't mind second hand I'm sure there will be :wink:
  • oxoman said:

Planet x aren't particularly short of stock, they keep advertising stuff.

Thanks for that ..

checked out the website , a few helmets in stock but many more out of stock . . Very cheap too , so maybe worth a punt .... or can you go too cheap with helmets ?
  • steve_sordy
    They all have to meet the relevant British or European standard.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2020
    most major bike Brands launch their 'next year' models around the time of the Tour de France (so early July / i.e. now) for 2021 models, that start to arrive in shops in August onwards - so anyone buying a new bike at the moment will be picking up the dregs of the 2020 stock... the 2021 bikes are imminent - so no surprise the 2020 bikes are largely sold out ;)
  • steve_sordy
    edited June 2020
    Every day is a learning day! I had no idea that the launch of mountain bikes was keyed to the Tour de France. It may just be a coincidence of course, or it may be a hangover from the days before mtb when the only bikes made were road bikes. I'm guessing that the existing bike manufacturers got into making these new-fangled MTBs and stuck to the same marketing cycle when it came to promoting them.

I don't have a long-term biking history, so I had thought it was tied to when the kids went back to school and the summer holidays were officially over. All the hire bikes were sold off and the new season's bikes made an appearance the month after. But that was an observation, it doesn't make it real.

As for all the 2020 bikes being sold out, I thought that was due to folk having a paid holiday courtesy of Covid-19 and deciding to go biking for fun and to avid public transport. It is even difficult to buy a second hand bike these days. Even the bikes shops are busy restoring clunkers from the back of the shed. Deals will be rare on new 2021 bikes.
  • I would agree Steve I cant see us having any good deals on 2021 bikes due to current shortage but you never know.