Dropper Post buying advice

Hi

I am going to bite the bullet and upgrade to a dropper post. I need a 30.9mm with external routing. I wont to spend around 100 pound so what do you think is the best bet for around this price?

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    Brand X dropper posts on Chain Reaction Cycles. They get great reviews and are around your price range and is worth checking out.
  • wavey1000
    wavey1000 Posts: 59
    Thank you. Has anyone bought one of these? Comments ? Would want a 120mm at least
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Brand X Ascend ii. I bought one for my grandson, easy to fit and it has given zero problems. If you go to the CRC website, the main pic that comes up has about half a dozen other pics off to the side. One of them is the geometry diagrams, so that you can work out if you are getting the correct size. The last thing you need is for the dropper to be fully extended, but also fully inserted into the seat tube, and be too high for comfortable pedalling.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I've got the internally routed Brand-x Ascend with a 120 drop. As Steve says, all the dimensions on the CRC website. So far, so good.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • wavey1000
    Cheers guys will look
  • wavey1000
    Ok so bought the brand x ascend 2 dropper. Looks like the external cable will have to go on my top frame where there are no cable router brackets. I have heard the stick on ones are pants and come off.

Any recome dations or links to some decent velcro strips I can use. Preferable colour ones. May as well pimp it up
  • reaperactual
    Cable ties may be better. Lots of colour choices too.
  • wavey1000
    Thought that but they slide up and down the frame. A velcro thin strip would stay in place
  • reaperactual
    They don't slide when properly tightened. If you already have an outer cable run where you plan on running the dropper cable you can attach it along side that and will look very neat and could buy in black without them needing to wrap around the frame?
  • steve_sordy
    Use zip ties, but stick the zip tie to the dropper hose. A small dab of hot melt glue should do the trick.
  • reaperactual
    Velcro straps are thick, they won't hold the cable tightly enough which will make dropper cable tap against frame. I guess you would need three and might interfere with exposed inner cable runs (If you have those) and effect shifting performance.
  • steve_sordy
    oxoman said:

Tyraps and done tight, use a sharp knife to trim the excess off. DO NOT USE side cutters or pliers as the resultant sharp edge will slice your clothes at best and your skin at worst. ........

I 100% agree with that, I bear the scars. :(