Canyon Carbon or Aluminum

Hey Everyone,

I am in the market for a new bike (i dont live in the UK and where I live the second hand market for quality bike is VERY limited). Whilst I would like to get a second hand better bike it is not really an option.

I'm looking at a Canyon Endurace. either the

Endurace AL Disc 8.0 - which is an Aluminum Frame and Ultegra groupset and Mavic Aksium Elitewheels

or

Endurace CF 7.0 - which is a carbon frame and a 105 groupset and fulcrum racing 900 wheels.

from what I can see the AL 8.0 is their top alu frame and the CL 7.0 is their lowest carbon frame.

Price wise they are the same. Weight wise, the carbon comes in at around 800 grams lighter.

what are peoples thoughts and what would they recommend,

thank you

Comments

• Get the carbon. The equipment can be upgraded later.
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20

Get the carbon. The equipment can be upgraded later.

thanks Darius, any particular reason why? from what I ssee they have 3 levels of Carbon, CF, CF SL and CF SLX) this would be their lowest one i.e. CF

thanks
  • aaronyarm
    decisions decisions, just looking at a Ribble R872 looks like a contender!
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Go for the carbon frame, considering that the price point is the same for both bikes.

As Darius has already said, you can always upgrade the components when they wear out, to Ultegra, but if choosing the AL 8.0 your upgrades from Ultegra are either Ultegra Di2 or Dura-Ace which is getting into silly money.

Having said that the AL 7.0 always gets great reviews so perhaps save yourself a few quid more and opt for that rather than the AL 8.0.

Then again if you are now looking at the Ribble.....
  • aaronyarm
    ha thanks - i didnt even think of the ribble and just came accross it but it looks like decent kit for the money and has outstanding reviews.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited May 2020
    aaronyarm said:

Get the carbon. The equipment can be upgraded later.

thanks Darius, any particular reason why? from what I ssee they have 3 levels of Carbon, CF, CF SL and CF SLX) this would be their lowest one i.e. CF

thanks
    They do three carbon options in the Ultimate range but the CF & CF SL are the same frame and the CF SLX is the lighter one (the same frame as used by Movistar etc.) and they also offer the Evo which is their ‘super bike’ frame.
  • aaronyarm
    ok thanks - @diamonddog is there any difference in overall quality, or is there another bike you woudl recommend at this pricepoint?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Quality is equal throughout the range it’s basically about the weight of each frame.
    I have a CF SL with a few changes and have had it about 6 years, my money would obviously go on the carbon option.
    Look at Rose Bikes also an online German company offering good value and if reports are to be believed top quality bikes, I would not be unhappy if I owned one.
  • aaronyarm

Quality is equal throughout the range it’s basically about the weight of each frame.
    I have a CF SL with a few changes and have had it about 6 years, my money would obviously go on the carbon option.
    Look at Rose Bikes also an online German company offering good value and if reports are to be believed top quality bikes, I would not be unhappy if I owned one.

Thanks for that, so based on the thread the CF 7.0 Disc would probably be my choice as it is upgrade able, carbon, looks good and fits the bill.

I was acctually looking at the Rose, the base model (same price as the canyon) is aluminum, but wow that frame is a work of art, really beautiful. All comes down to if they ship to where I live!
  • What did you go for in the end? I like the look of the CF SL
  • fisherjw1
    fisherjw1 Posts: 1
    I'd appreciate thoughts on a similar dilemma with a £1500 budget. Options are:

Canyon Endurance AL 7.0 full 105, discs, DT Swiss 1850 etc
    Canyon Endurance CF 7.0, this has caliper brakes instead of discs and cheaper wheels (Fulcrum Racing 900) but still has full 105.

The carbon is a good bit lighter (lets say 700g) but I do like the idea of discs having mainly ridden mountain bikes in the past. Although realistically I'm not going to be riding in wet conditions too often which is when they come into their own.

Any thoughts appreciated!