Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    That there are so many seriously FAT people in this dUK. I have spent time in USAnia so my metrics are calibrated. This hot weather spring must be bringing them out. There are many times in past few weeks I have looked, flinched and thought 'why?' There's 'yeah I've put on a bit of flab' then there's 'jeez, you kiddin' me?'

Don't see such enormity in France, Italy, Spain...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    orraloon said:

That there are so many seriously FAT people in this dUK. I have spent time in USAnia so my metrics are calibrated. This hot weather spring must be bringing them out. There are many times in past few weeks I have looked, flinched and thought 'why?' There's 'yeah I've put on a bit of flab' then there's 'jeez, you kiddin' me?'

I think the cases of 'lockdown ar$e' far outnumber those of COVID-19.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

But they had it before covid

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    capt_slog said:

Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

But they had it before covid
    I think it's spreading though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Not trivial but why do 'protesters' against police violence decide to smash up cars and shops? Throwing a boulder through the window of an Amazon store chanting 'I can't breathe' and 'Black lives matter' makes no sense whatsoever.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Pross said:

Not trivial but why do 'protesters' against police violence decide to smash up cars and shops? Throwing a boulder through the window of an Amazon store chanting 'I can't breathe' and 'Black lives matter' makes no sense whatsoever.

Or looting and yes.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Or looting and yes.
    I sort of understand looting. Take the opportunity of a break down in law and order to steal what you fancy. I don't get it when they steal anything just because it's there though.
  • pinno
    Sure but in terms of protesting against the crime...
  • Pross
    No, it's pure oppurtunism of course.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Pross said:

Because sometimes it's the only way change happens? Plus having seen a brief clip of the incident I can only imagine what it's like to live somewhere like that. The subsequent actions are born out of pure frustration I would have thought, it's not about a rational attack on Amazon.
  • pinno
    Protest is justifiable. Wanton vandalism and opportunism isn't.
    It's a bit like Hezbollah - as long as they (self appointed to a degree) represent the people of Lebanon, the plight of the Lebanese looses credibility (for me at least).
    Wouldn't the world sit up and pay more attention to a political group not intent on launching random missiles into Isreal and terrorism, who protested through the right channels and in a way that wasn't a mix of stone throwing and Molotov coktails?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    To be fair, peaceful(ish and mostly one sided) negotiations in the USA on the race matter has been going on for 150 years. There comes a time when the camel's back breaks.
    Not defending rioting, but understanding the frustration.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    I understand it but I just question if it's justifiable.
    The background to it is the continually widening gap between rich and poor, the disenfranchised - for whom some where re-connected (temporarily) under Obama, that has now been blown away, the lack of a proper welfare state, education depending on your Zip code and a lack of a proper health service.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Incidentally, it was reported in Saturdays Times that the government scientists on the SAGE committee were surprised that looting and rioting hadn't happened here in the UK during the C19 lockdown.
    Looking at the way some of the twats have been behaving today around the country I could see it happening here before too long.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pinno said:

The background to it is the continually widening gap between rich and poor, the disenfranchised - for whom some where re-connected (temporarily) under Obama, that has now been blown away, the lack of a proper welfare state, education depending on your Zip code and a lack of a proper health service.

Alternatively it is because riots are tremendously exhilarating and once you have achieved dominance over the authorities you can do what you like.

To me the stupidity is rioting where you live.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited May 2020
    Have an underdeveloped theory about a nation where films and film tropes are so totemic in culture and then technology improving so everyone can film everything.

Everyone ends up living their life like they’re a character in one.

Not enormously original, sopranos covered it, but still.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

pinno said:

Alternatively it is because riots are tremendously exhilarating and once you have achieved dominance over the authorities you can do what you like.

According to the Trumpster most of the troublesome ones have been travelling to riot elsewhere.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

According to the Trumpster most of the troublesome ones have been travelling to riot elsewhere.
    It makes more sense and certainly happened in the London riots, which resulted in locals protecting their own patch.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Posters with most likes. List below shows date posters achieved 100 likes. Maybe there is a lot of love on Cake Stop.

tailwindhome 11 June
    Pross 30 May
    steve_sordy 29 May
    pblakeney 26 May
    rick_chasey 24 May
    kingstongraham 21 May
    coopster_the_1st 17 May
    Stevo_666 25 April
  • Stevo_666

Posters with most likes. List below shows date posters achieved 100 likes. Maybe there is a lot of love on Cake Stop.

tailwindhome 11 June
    Pross 30 May
    steve_sordy 29 May
    pblakeney 26 May
    rick_chasey 24 May
    kingstongraham 21 May
    coopster_the_1st 17 May
    Stevo_666 25 April

tailwindhome 11 June
    Pross 30 May
    steve_sordy 29 May
    pblakeney 26 May
    rick_chasey 24 May
    kingstongraham 21 May
    coopster_the_1st 17 May
    Stevo_666 25 April

Is it the fact that there are so many likes or is it the posters who have got 100+ that intrigues you?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited June 2020
    A better representation would be ratio of likes vs number of posts since likes were introduced (not expecting anyone to do this)

Suspect I would be much further down the list on that measure.
  • Stevo_666
    I like being top of the league :)
  • Pross
    Variation of likes would be a better representation too. Surprised to make the list at all to be honest.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

But nickice and Coopster the 1st are your biggest fans!
    Ha ha.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ha ha.
    So where are you on the list? ;)
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ha ha.
    Donald Trump gets lots of Likes.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ha ha.
    Your jealousy is so transparent :)
  • pinno
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ha ha.
    You keep entertaining your fan base*. It's a free country.

*Of two.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ha ha.
    You keep entertaining your fan base*. It's a free country.

*Of two.
    At least I''ve got one :p
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Perhaps the

tailwindhome 11 June
    Pross 30 May
    steve_sordy 29 May
    pblakeney 26 May
    rick_chasey 24 May
    kingstongraham 21 May
    coopster_the_1st 17 May
    Stevo_666 25 April

Perhaps they are the most needy? :)