chain length

I bought a Ridgeback three6five last year..It has come with a 118 link chain...but the spec on their website specifies a KMC X10....which are...I believe 116 links......When the other one shows signs of wear.could I fit one of these.?...with no detriment to the existing rear derailleur and rear cassette?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Whatever speed bike you have get the matching chain. All chains I've bought have needed cutting to length. You can just measure it alongside the old chain. And you can visibly see how much the old one has stretched as it goes out of synch.

Don't measure it on the carpet.

And changing the chain before it's stretched too much will stop excess wear on your cassette. A chain measuring tool is worth having.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2020

I bought a Ridgeback three6five last year..It has come with a 118 link chain...but the spec on their website specifies a KMC X10....which are...I believe 116 links......When the other one shows signs of wear.could I fit one of these.?...with no detriment to the existing rear derailleur and rear cassette?

If your bike is a 1x you will need to have another 118 link chain. Going any shorter will rip off you rear derailleur on the big cassette cog. If you have a 2x drivetrain you would be ok providing you never use a big to big combination!

I would buy two chains and splice them together and join with two missing links or go to a bike shop, sometimes they buy chains in one continuous length on a reel and they could supply in any size.