What cycling computer do you have

Hi,
I have a Lezyne Macro GPS - I hate it. Does anyone else have this, is there a way to make it better - if I was going to upgrade to something what do people recommend, im thinking about a bolt.

Comments

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I've used a Garmin 500 since 2010, still works fine for what I need it for.

I still love the simplicity, and size of it. I don't plan on upgrading.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Fenix 3. What do you want out of the computer ? What's wrong with yours ?
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Garmin Edge 830 and Fenix 5X. I like both and have no problem with either, but honestly I still miss my old Dura-Ace Flight Deck. With the buttons on the shift levers and it told you what ring/cog you were riding. That was the best.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.

It just works.
  • Garmin 520.

It just works.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I use a Garmin 830. No issues with it.
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    I have a Garmin 520, constantly surprised that it works.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Garmin edge 1000, as above reading these forums I’m also surprised it works😅
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Do you have latest firmware? https://www.lezyne.com/gpsroot/gps_updategps.php

Also the Ally app (link at bottom of page)?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Wahoo Elemnt Roam. Daughter has my old Wahoo Elemnt. Both have never failed. The only hiccup I experienced with the old Elemnt was when the cloud had issues, but Wahoo sorted it within hours. Other than my 705, every Garmin I've had had problems. 810, 820 and 530. The simplicity of the Wahoo set up and operation does it for me. Yes Garmin devices do more stuff, but how much of it do you really need. I know when I need to take on fluids without a head unit telling me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Old Edge 200, had it years still works after being submerged in floods last year.
    New 130 being delivered today ordered just because I wanted to start using HRM and one or two other features.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Garmin 530... awesome in all respects and faultless.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garmin Edge 510 - may not be the latest and greatest but it works
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Garmin Edge 520.
    About 3 years old, gets used everyday whatever the weather and gets charged every 2-3 days.

It’s been faultless and I’ve probably now jinxed it.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Edge 520, always been spot on for me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243

Old Edge 200, had it years still works after being submerged in floods last year.
    New 130 being delivered today ordered just because I wanted to start using HRM and one or two other features.

The 200 is truly bulletproof, you'll struggle to get anything as reliable.
    left the forum March 2023
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited May 2020
    100%, hopefully the 130 will be as good but if not the good old 200 is my back up.
    Had it 8 years now and bought for £99 from Halfords.
  • aaronyarm
    aaronyarm Posts: 20
    well after some success in trying to make the Lezyne a bit better (i managed). I did the most recent update, followed the instructions for teh device to turn off and wont go back on at all! so it is bricked! guess wahoo here I come.
  • mark8191
    mark8191 Posts: 72
    I use the wahoo roam and think it’s great
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I had and edge 800, then an 810 which is currently back with garmin for replacement. They’re swapping it (well outside warranty for a discount) for a 530, I’m looking forward to it, the 810 has been hammered for 4+ years and been faultless until recently. I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t tried to put a route on it, but it’d been iffy for a couple of months, turned it it was because it was borked.

I was very tempted by a wahoo bolt, but I really like the hr zones to one decimal place and I think garmin is the only company to do that. It’s so much easier than trying to work out your zones when riding
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I had an edge500 back in 2010 which was awesome, but the usb socket broke and it wouldn't enumerate so I replaced it in 2012 with an edge 800. Been a super bit of kit, it's worked flawlessly since I bought it and still has a great battery life! I even plotted each leg of a driving road trip in Costa Rica back in 2014 on it to have turn by turn navigation from place to place and it worked perfectly!

Heard so many complaints about the newer generation units, but then again, there was plenty of complaints about the 800 and it's been fine for me.
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    fatted864 said:

I have a Garmin 520, constantly surprised that it works.

Ops I have a 530 constantly surprised it works, the 520 died turned into an inefficient paper weight.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Edge 500 - bought second hand from a forumite on here about 4 years ago. Been faultless for my needs but being an aged git I only need a limited number of functions. Speed, average speed, distance, ride time and climb gradient (never very accurate but I like to know which hills are the grippy knee tremblers).

Never used the navigation or any of the other more training based functions.

Was toying with upgrading to an Elemnt Bolt but it would just be an excuse to spend money without any meaningful benefit. Will run the 500 till it croaks and then decide
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    edited May 2020
    Garmin Edge 510, and 820 and a 5 Plus.

They disimproved the Edge. 820 battery life is fine for 1 ride, not great for daily riding. And in hindsight, the touch screen isn't the way to go. 510 does all the same things for twice a long between charges, but with crappier graphics - who cares.

5 Plus is a great all round thing, unless you like to Froome as you ride. Superb battery life as well. Even though its not the latest model, it is also eye bleedingly expensive.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited May 2020
    An old Garmin Edge 800 that doesn't have Bluetooth or WiFi (has to be plugged into my laptop to copy routes, upload activities etc).

With open source streetmaps from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ (instructions: https://dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html).

It works. When it breaks, I'll buy whichever new offering gives the best maps functionality.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    Fwiw I don't think the map functionality is much of a selling point. Realistically how many people ride without a phone in case of emergency?

You may need to be able to follow routes, with directions appearing on the screen, but even a 510 can do that.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    edited May 2020
    Wahoo elemnt bolt for 3 years. It has thrown a wobbly once which was partly my fault.

Had a Garmin 800 for 5 years. It threw a wobbly once every ride finally realised it was a crook of ****. I borrowed an edge1000 for a holiday because said 800 was not so good and quite believably coming from Garmin it was actually worse than the 800.

I have to say my Garmin satnav on my motorbike has never thrown a wobbly - go figure.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Garmin Edge 830, not had any problems and the battery lasts for ages.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited May 2020
    Ben6899 said:

An old Garmin Edge 800 that doesn't have Bluetooth or WiFi (has to be plugged into my laptop to copy routes, upload activities etc).

With open source streetmaps from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ (instructions: https://dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html).

It works. When it breaks, I'll buy whichever new offering gives the best maps functionality.

Same here. Though I got national OS maps as part of a Touring bundle.

If it breaks, I may use a mobile phone instead.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Fwiw I don't think the map functionality is much of a selling point. Realistically how many people ride without a phone in case of emergency?

You may need to be able to follow routes, with directions appearing on the screen, but even a 510 can do that.

I don't use the turn by turn navigation; I used the plotted line and the beep for going off course/missing a turn. Just glance down every so often.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/