replacement bits for 1994 Dawes Galaxy

I have a 1994 Dawes Galaxy ... had it from new and it's in great condition. I've been using it a lot on an indoor smart trainer recently with a trainer tyre and swapping to a road tyre when I go out. This is driving me nuts and so I thought I may buy another rear wheel and then I just need to swap wheels (alternative would be to get a direct drive trainer ... but they are generally sold out at the moment or over priced).
Thing is, I have no idea what wheel and rear cassette would be suitable. Only need a cheap one as it is for the indoor trainer and so weight is irrelevant. The bike is a 23.5. inch frame. Does anyone know how I can find out what size parts I need? I would be tempted to change the front chain rings too as they are quite worn these days.

Thanks,

Ian

Comments

• Darius_Jedburgh
    Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
    edited May 2020
    Don't think a direct drive traianer will work. Your chainstays won't be sprung for 11 speed so you won't be able to fit it around the supplied axle, which will almost certainly be 11 speed.
    Why keep swapping tyres? Turbo tyres are in large part marketing hype.
  • bigianb
    bigianb Posts: 3

Don't think a direct drive traianer will work. Your chainstays won't be set for 11 speed so you won't be able to fit it around the supplied axle, which will almost certainly be 11 speed.
    Why keep swapping tyres? Turbo tyres are in large part marketing hype.

You lost me a bit with the 11 speed. The bike has a rear cassette with 7 cogs which makes it 21 speed (although of course there are duplicates in that range ... I don't know what the distinct ratios would be) and most of the direct drive trainers I've looked at require you to supply your own cassette so I guessed it would work given the same rear cassette. I'll make a point to verify compatibility in case I go down that route in the future though.

I find the trainer tyre really good (it's a continental) - it's much quieter than my road tyres (also continentals) and it doesn't shed rubber everywhere like the road tyre. I don't use the trainer that much (about 100 miles a week on average) but even at that level I find the difference in noise and detritus worth it.
  • If you are talking about direct drive, as you were, then it matters not one jot what there is on your bike at present. You will get a set up that either comes with (if you spend enough) or will need to supply your own 11 speed cassette. That's just the way it is. There is no way that your seven speed set up will fit on a modern direct drive turbo. Your bike is old, almost archaic technology.
    The chainstays won't be wide enough to go over the supplied axle, and your gears, unless you are still on friction, will not index properly.
  • bigianb
    bigianb Posts: 3
    ok, thanks ... that's a shame. New rear wheel it is then. Any idea on what that would be?
  • If you just want any 7 speed wheel then asking on Retrobike forum should get you something suitable.
    Otherwise everyone's favourite auction site will eventually have something.