Indexing issue

I have struggling to index my gears on my 1 x 10. I either get 2-10 working or 1-9 working but can't find the sweet spot where 1-10 all work. It all worked perfectly until recent weeks after lots of riding. I have been used to successfully indexing gears and the finest tuning using the barrel adjuster seems to make the difference between 1-9 or 2-10.

I have a 5 year old sram X7 shifter
Shimano Xt mech and cassette 11-42 both less than a year old

I haven't replace the cable housing in last 5 years but the cable is less than a year old.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Do shifters loose their effectiveness over time?
Replace the cable a housing?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    In theory a SRAM X7 shifter shouldn't work with a Shimano rear derailleur due to different pull ratios.
    Has a spacer or adapter been fitted anywhere?
    If I were you I'd swap the shifter for a Shimano 10-speed one (SLX or XT) and go from there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    New Shimano shifter as suggested. 5 year old outer cables? Buy a Shimano MTB cable kit for around £13 and refresh the whole system. That would probably sort out any problems as 90% of poor shifting issues are cable related.

If there is any issues after fitting new cables it will be easier to diagnose once cables have been ruled out.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    In addition to new cables (outer and inner), you need an extra bit of TLC when installing that is more important on cable set ups where you have lots of bare inner cables and several sections of outer cable.

Wherever you push a ferrule onto an outer cable, don't just push it on. Instead, tap it on with a slightly open pair of pliers (whatever). This will ensure that the ferrule is fully inserted onto the outer cable. Then when you come to use the bike, as you heave away on the gear levers, the ferrules do not move! This will stop the gears going "off" after a few rides, needing further adjustment. :)
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Thank you for your spot on replies.

I had no idea Sram wouldn't work with Shimano. Having googled you are spot on and therefore have ordered 10 speed XT shifter which happens to come with new cable and outer so looking forward to much improved shifting performance.

Also thanks for the tip on ferrules- excellent suggestion!