Best pro team jersey ever. Thoughts...

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited May 2020 in Pro race
Happened to be looking through ebay last night at pro bike jerseys and whilst I didn't buy any (many appear to be replicas) it got me thinking - forgetting about features (ie aero etc) and thinking purely about design/ colour scheme, which is the best looking pro team jersey of all time?

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited May 2020

May as well ask what is second best....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Gotta take it in combo with the shorts, surely?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited May 2020
    As I have only ever bought one I’d have to say the yellow Once one from the mid 90’s.
    Still looks brand new, still fits, and still gets regular usage.

PS - As I was following Robert Millar at the time the La Vie Claire jersey was off the options list. Quite nice in retrospect though. ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

As I have only ever bought one I’d have to say the yellow Once one from the mid 90’s.

The "Dominic Cummings" as it should now be known.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

pblakeney said:

The "Dominic Cummings" as it should now be known.
    That needs a little explanation. For me at least. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    If it wasn't for the horrifically designed Ineos logo all over it, I'd say that the current Ineos jersey is a very good design.

That logo looks like it's been made by someone sending a ransom note.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    My top 3.

1. The Tour version of the '98 Mercatone uno kit. The matching accessories are also critical in this.

2. Boogerd's full national champs Dutch kit.

3. Always had a soft spot for the 2008 QS jersey

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    I love the MTN Qubeka stripey one, would love to own it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    La Vie Claire was a classic. And one of the first in lycra ? Most other tops were wool?
  • kingstongraham
    HTC Highroad was good - before Columbia came along and ruined the look.
  • The 1993/4 Italian national jersey was just brilliant. I had one and lost it, and still yearn for it.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Pete Kennaughs Rapha British champion Jersey oozed class.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • kingstongraham
    Hannah Barnes' version looked better. Less showy for the sponsor.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

My top 3.

1. The Tour version of the '98 Mercatone uno kit. The matching accessories are also critical in this.

2. Boogerd's full national champs Dutch kit.

3. Always had a soft spot for the 2008 QS jersey

I do love the pantani image. But I'm biased as he is my all time favourite rider.

I have to say I have always loved the csc kits from the mid 00s. I think the 07 and 08 kits were both class.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited May 2020
    Was always partial to La Vie Claire (above), but have liked the wmncycling stuff more over time. Kennaugh above looks really good too, but that is a national jersey.

Old school I like the '98 Mercatone uno kit (Pantani) even more than La Vie Claire now. But La Vie Claire is the benchmark.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Always liked the Kelme kit.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/full-kit-ranker-round-1-vote-best-cycling-jersey-272321?amp

For anyone that didn't see it, Road.cc recently did a poll for the best ever kit (quite wittily titled Full Kit Ranker). La Vie Claire won.
  • kingstongraham
    That Mercatone Uno Bianchi kit looks awful on anybody else though.

• The Bianchi Mercatone Uno on Pantani looked the real deal. But there is always the unanswered question about how high you had to be to wear it. Pantani was certainly very high.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited May 2020
    A favourite of mine as it is quite rare and I have a replica

The 1999 Tour de France ONCE black jersey

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    edited May 2020
    m.r.m. said:

Old school I like the '98 Mercatone uno kit (Pantani) even more than La Vie Claire now. But La Vie Claire is the benchmark.

That's a really great kit. One of the best at the minute. Slightly funny story about Hannah Barnes - we were in Girona cycling and one of the lads had to turn up two days late because of work. Just after he landed, I get a text - "can you cancel the taxi you arranged for me? I've just bumped into a lass who says she'll let me share her lift into town"

Then I get another text about 30mins later - "Ben, you watch pro cycling, apparently she's a pro and is here for the weekend before going to see her boyfriend somewhere else in Spain..."

So he'd managed to get a lift into town with Hannah Barnes, had no idea who she was and no idea that her boyfriend was currently riding a Grand Tour.

And - because he's not like us lot in here - he wasn't really fussed, just glad - because we're from Yorkshire - that he'd saved a taxi fare!

Back to photos of kit, I just thought a little story might be welcome during "Lockdown"...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    mrb123 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/full-kit-ranker-round-1-vote-best-cycling-jersey-272321?amp

For anyone that didn't see it, Road.cc recently did a poll for the best ever kit (quite wittily titled Full Kit Ranker). La Vie Claire won.

Top marks for that pun!
  • m.r.m.
    Ben6899 said:

You are disqualified when picking brown shorts. Sorry, but them's the rules! ;)

Nice story though. I have no idea who Hannah Barnes bf is though. In doubt I'd pick loulou. He gets around seemingly... ;)o:)
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95. said:

A favourite of mine as it is quite rare and I have a replica

The 1999 Tour de France ONCE black jersey

Why is there a dude on his belly taking a leak?
  • Ben6899
    m.r.m. said:

Nice story though. I have no idea who Hannah Barnes bf is though. In doubt I'd pick loulou. He gets around seemingly... ;)o:)

Ignore the shorts and concentrate on the majesty of the jersey! Although I think the shorts are great.

(Tao Geoghegan Hart)
    Ben

• kingstongraham
    m.r.m. said:

Ben6899 said:

I remember Nico Roche in his book:

He was very glad to be national champion, so he felt smug he'd never have to wear them. Until someone pointed out he wasn't time trial champion.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    edited May 2020

Cliched perhaps but always loved this one
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • kingstongraham