Schwalbe one clincher or tubeless?

So I’m torn on this. Never tried tubeless have always used clincher. My gp4000 28mm are at the end of their life and it’s time to change.
I like the look of the tan schwalbe one clinchers but I’m tempted to try tubeless for the first time and looking at the new Schwalbe pro one tle.
I rarely puncture (two years puncture free , probably now jinxed myself) bit like the idea of running lower pressure.
My concern is getting tubeless on my Prime 38mm black edition wheels.
So I’m interested in opinions and any experience of running these tyres.
Any advice would be really useful as I am 50:50 on which way to go, clincher or tubeless.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I run schwalbe one pros tubeless with no problems at all, just give them a try tubeless they are fine , easy to mount , and inflate , I am sure someone will be along shortly telling you tubeless are no good ,
    but unless you try you will never know
    All I know I will never run inner tubes again
    If you do a search on the forum for tubeless tyres ,there’s plenty of information for first timers
    Let us know how you get on if you if you go tubeless
  • daviescgwen
    daviescgwen Posts: 44

I run schwalbe one pros tubeless with no problems at all, just give them a try tubeless they are fine , easy to mount , and inflate , I am sure someone will be along shortly telling you tubeless are no good ,
    but unless you try you will never know
    All I know I will never run inner tubes again
    If you do a search on the forum for tubeless tyres ,there’s plenty of information for first timers
    Let us know how you get on if you if you go tubeless

I am really tempted to try. I’ve got an emonda sl6 disc and I’m running 28mm conti 4000s so bo doubt they are running bigger.

Are your schwalbe pro one for size? Do they come up larger or true to size?
    Debating whether to get 28mm or 30mm pro one?
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    <

I am really tempted to try. I’ve got an emonda sl6 disc and I’m running 28mm conti 4000s so bo doubt they are running bigger.

It’s been a while since I used gp4000, but obviously depending on the width of rims you are using, I would say the schwalbe are more or less the same size as the gp4000
  • s_j_pwmb
    s_j_pwmb Posts: 75

My 28mm pro ones come up at 28.5mm on 19mm internal width rims, so pretty close to published width.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Any advice would be really useful as I am 50:50 on which way to go, clincher or tubeless.

Tubeless tyres are clinchers - they just don't run inner tubes. Not to be confused with tubulars, which are typically glued onto a rim.

• daviescgwen
    From reviews I’ve read the 2020 Pro one seems to be closer to true reported size. Might take a gamble and try the 30mm
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    edited May 2020
    my 28mm 2019 pro one tubeless come up as 32mm on my (wide) carbon farsports 45mm wheels -. I fitted them on the rims this morning - I was surprissed!

• daviescgwen
    moonshine said:

my 28mm 2019 pro one tubeless come up as 32mm on my (wide) carbon farsports 45mm wheels -. I fitted them on the rims this morning - I was surprissed!

How easily did they go on?
  • moonshine
    edited May 2020
    How did they fit On the rim or on the bike (clearance wise)?
    Popped straight onto the rim easy.

They Fit in the frame and forks OK as well (plenty of clearance) but it is a Cervélo C3, so has clearance 32mm tyres anyway.
  • daviescgwen
    I have a 2019 Trek Emonda sl6 disc. I can’t seem to find a definite answer to the maximum tyre size it will run.
    My worry with the 30mm is of they balloon may be too big. The latest version of the pro one is meant to balloon less on the rim.
    Hence my conundrum about whether to get 30mm or 28mm in the latest model.
    As your 28m went up to 32mm my concern is whether it would fit my front fork.
  • moonshine
    I think It is a judgement call. But my gut feeling would be to get 28 mm.
    Cervélo state they test / measure frame clearance / max tyre size to an ISO.
    https://www.cervelo.com/en/further-clarity-on-tire-clearance
    I suspect Trek will do the same. Have you asked Trek the question?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I was given a pair of One tubeless to try from Schwalbe UK back when road tubeless was a new thing . Nice fast tyres, but the wear rate was quite bad. I think I had to bin them after about two thousand miles....

https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/300-km-on-schwalbe-one-tubeless/
    left the forum March 2023
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    oxoman said:

I use tyreworms for holes that the sealant can't seal. Never had to use in anger although I have made a hole in an old tyre just to prove I could do it.

A good bit of advise here. Learn how to use worms at home before you need them at the side of the road and if you carry a tube as the all else fails solution, do you carry some thing to undo the tubeless valve nut.
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    I’ve a beautiful set of schwalbe one TLE tan wall tyres in 25mm
    Absolutely beautiful looking tyres but sadly didn’t fit my van Nicholas .
    Too wide at rear so wasn’t worth the risk . They do blow up at 27/28 I’d say . Previous to that using the mavic tubeless 25s . No issues there

So a set of tan wall schwalbe ones 25s for sale !
  • daviescgwen

Too wide at rear so wasn’t worth the risk . They do blow up at 27/28 I’d say . Previous to that using the mavic tubeless 25s . No issues there

Sorry Garry but I’m after 28mm.
    Having heard about the possibility of the Schwalbe ballooning I bought a digital calliper to check how big my Continental gp4000sii had blown up to on my prime black edition rims and was amazed to find them running at almost 32mm. So the 28 mm schwalbe Pro one will be fine on my emonda sl6. Going to try the 2020 pro one tle in 28mm.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

I've tried to PM you re: Tyres