Upgrade time! Decision help...

giffolew
giffolew Posts: 4
edited May 2020 in MTB buying advice
Hey everyone!

So here’s the deal, I want a new bike!

I used to ride ages ago on an old giant stp2, stopped for ages and got back into it properly last year spending most my time at chicksands Bedford or a few rides at Cannock.

I’ve still been using the Stp but It’s well overdue an upgrade and I’m thinking a full-sus. I’ve been thinking either a Giant Reign or Trance unless anyone has some better suggestions up to the £2500 mark?

Plan is to be riding mainly chicksands, with the ability to do some longer hilly trails like Cannock, I’m not sending it huge, had a back op last year so I’m a bit of a pu**y now 😂

** EDIT also looking at the canyon spectral 6 or 7? **

Cheers!

Comments

• giffolew
    oxoman said:

Out of the 2 I'd be looking at the trance. Certainly for cannock it's more than enough unless doing stile cop downhill or major off piste stuff. I currently use an Anthem at most trail centre reds with 120 travel with no issue's so reign definitely to much and hard work pedalling uphill. Also worth looking at Whyte t130 or calibre bossnut.

Cheers oxoman, I was only thinking reign to take some of the bigger hits at chicksands as that’ll be my main stomping ground!

Cannock is a rarity for me really, I’ve done it a couple of times on my Stp with all 7 gears (KILLER!) so even a reign would feel a dream there! But agree that’s more trance territory, and a trance would suit a leisurely ride with the mrs too...

Cheers for the suggestions, I’ll have a look at those too!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I had a Whyte T130 and it was a stunning bike, the 130mm travel felt like it was much more when the rough stuff came, but it was still relatively light. Designed by Brits for British weather too, so I never had any problems with the pivot bearings or the hubs.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Whatever you can get your hands on.
    There's little availabilty, so choice is limited.
    Expect a long wait for anything specific.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Out of the 2 Giants you mentioned I'd say the Trance is better suited to the places you intend to mainly use it.
    150mm front and 140mm rear travel is plenty and will handle anything you throw at it.
    The Reign is more of an Enduro bike with more travel so great for bombing downhill but not as good as the Trance going up.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • giffolew
    JBA said:

Out of the 2 Giants you mentioned I'd say the Trance is better suited to the places you intend to mainly use it.
    150mm front and 140mm rear travel is plenty and will handle anything you throw at it.
    The Reign is more of an Enduro bike with more travel so great for bombing downhill but not as good as the Trance going up.

Cheers JBA! That’s helped a lot!

How do you think the trance rates up against the canyon spectral? The more I look at it the more intrigued I get!