Campy Ergo Power Shifter Help Needed

celery101
celery101 Posts: 37
I had a rear derailleur cable snap on my Record Ergo 11spd shifter. When I replaced the cable I couldn't get the rear mech to shift, it just sits in the smallest cog. I read around a bit and ended up buying a brand new shifter body. I have installed it with a new cable and the rear mech still won't shift same as with the one I thought was broken. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious but also at my wit's end as to what it could be. I'm also desperate to go out for a ride! Any thoughts much appreciated

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,600
    Is the cable moving freely and smoothly at the derailleur end when disconnected?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • celery101
    yes seems to be - the cable housings are clear too...
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    edited May 2020
    Does the lever click through and pull the cable properly when it is not connected to the rear mech?
  • celery101
    Bondurant - no it doesn't - and that's why i bought a new one - but same issue - it's brand new but doesn't pull/release the cable. It's a Campy cable and definitely sitting properly in the shifter.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    That is bizarre. The only thing I can think of to try is to remove the cable completely, click the thumb lever all the way down so the cable can seat properly and thread it through the lever again, but only pull it through at the top of the lever, without threading it through the guide and out the back of the lever. You can visually check it is seated properly and being pulled round the ratchet. I have been convinced that I installed cables correctly before and been frequently and annoyingly wrong.

Hopefully this is the case for you also and if not please post when you have figured out what was wrong.
  • celery101
    Er - I am an idiot - I have just realised what I was (not) doing. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but will explain in case anyway else has the same brain f*rt.

The cable needs to engage/b positioned correctly so it runs through the barrel on the inside that rotates and effectively sorts the cable tension. I thought you could simply feed it through the housing in the shifter and it would just engage. Doh.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,600
    Don't worry, we've all been there. Well, I have. 😉
    The ratchet has to be in the correct position before feeding the cable in.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.