Decent Covid face masks (for off the bike)

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a face mask for added protection against covid when in confined spaces? Specifically one which is suitable for asthmatics.

I appreciate there is a bit of debate whether they are actually beneficial but, provided it doesn't irritate/ provoke asthma, I would prefer to wear one than not.

There are so many online but a lot have negative reviews. I know you can make your own but would appreciate any recommendations for a decent one available to buy in the UK.

Ta.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Nothing to recommend but I did a bit of research and most are not fit for purpose. If you want a reusable one (better with more for use/wash/spare) then apparently they should have 600 thread count or higher and doubled up. They also have to be washed at 60 degrees or higher. Also you need one that fits properly and I hope you don't have a beard.
    If you do find one then I imagine that demand will be high.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    edited May 2020
    Yeah that's what I thought. The ones with (what look like genuine) good reviews are pretty much all out of stock, the others probably aren't worth bothering with.

Guess I will just have to keep looking
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have a look at splashmaps. They have masks available for not much and their info from the Nuffield Trust says that wearing a cotton face mask reduces the chance of you passing the infection on 36 fold.

It's not clouds of poison gas we are wandering through here so you don't need an airtight seal over your face.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    fenix said:

It's not clouds of poison gas we are wandering through here so you don't need an airtight seal over your face.

Damn!
    That's my excuse to wear my gimp mask in public gone up in flames.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Expensive, but washable and made by a biking company so some kudos.
    https://q36-5.com/shop/men/cycling-accessories/protective-mask/
  • fenix
    Did I hear that a lot of the Italian kit suppliers made PPE in the middle of the crisis ?

Not for cycling in mind you.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2020
    fenix said:

Did I hear that a lot of the Italian kit suppliers made PPE in the middle of the crisis ?

Not for cycling in mind you.

Just pointing out that they are not too convinced of usage for C-19.

"Machine washable at 30 ° or more and reusable. 100% Made in Italy.

Please take notice that this is a garment and not a medical device!"

I get a feeling that for most it is a matter of something is better than nothing, and for some it is about being seen to be doing it, rather than effective blocking.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    Our care homes and nurses haven't enough PPE so I don't know why cyclists would be needing medical grade.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited May 2020
    I've just added 3 of these to an order for our household.
    https://aleclothing.com/130-face-masks
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It depends what you want the mask to do. The type seen mostly, similar to what a surgeon wears during an operation, is designed to stop the wearer coughing on others. It gives absolutely no benefit to the wearer. If you want some protection you need one that does give an airtight seal on your face.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    fenix said:

Our care homes and nurses haven't enough PPE so I don't know why cyclists would be needing medical grade.

This.

Plus.

Why would you post on a cycling forum looking for advice on a face mask to help avoid infection from a virus?

No doubt the OP thinks that all cyclists are given qualifications in Virology, materials technology and, maybe, even a medical degree if they cycle far enough.
  • redvision
    Jesus, some people on here...

If you read my original post I say I'm looking for a face mask for when off the bike. Ie when going to a supermarket or enclosed place. The govt have issued advice that it is likely to be beneficial to wear such a mask.

This is a road general section, for topics which don't fit anywhere else. Given the current pandemic, and the latest advice, I figured it would see if anyone in here had found a decent face mask, so thanks to those who have made suggestions.

• navrig2
    I got the off the bike bit which is why I am surprised you would ask on a cycling forum for advice which is related to a national medical problem.

It's a bit like asking on a DIY forum how to tune your guitar.
  • redvision
    edited May 2020
    navrig2 said:

I got the off the bike bit which is why I am surprised you would ask on a cycling forum for advice which is related to a national medical problem.

I wasn't asking for a medical grade mask, I was asking for recommendations from members on here who may have purchased a face mask for a bit of protection and are satisfied/ pleased with it, as reviews on amazon etc are largely negative and unreliable.

As for your analogy, a few months back there was a topic on b&q on here. There have been threads about just about everything. I would think that anything to do with coronavirus is relevant to everyone on this forum, despite what you may think.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    navrig2 is this not a general discussion forum for cyclists? Does not always need to be directly about bikes. Don’t see anything wrong with the thread.
  • navrig2
    redvision said:

navrig2 said:

I wasn't asking for a medical grade mask, I was asking for recommendations from members on here who may have purchased a face mask for a bit of protection and are satisfied/ pleased with it, as reviews on amazon etc are largely negative and unreliable.

As for your analogy, a few months back there was a topic on b&q on here. There have been threads about just about everything. I would think that anything to do with coronavirus is relevant to everyone on this forum, despite what you may think.
    You were quite specific.

redvision said:

Specifically one which is suitable for asthmatics.

redvision said:

(for off the bike)

If you are that concerned I would suggest that you need very specific guidance or advice relating to your condition however if you are happy for people with an unknown amount of experience or qualifications to give you medical advice then go for it.

I wouldn't be.

• navrig2
    You were quite specific:

"off the bike"
    "suitable for asthmatics"

If you are happy about asking an bunch of unknown individuals with unknown experience and unknown qualifications for quite specific advice about your non-cycling related health then go for it,

I wouldn't be.

My analogy is quite apt.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Being Dominic Cummings?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • yellowv2
    Nothing wrong with asking other people their opinions, you don’t necessarily do what they advise. It’s about taking what others think and then forming your own opinions.
  • redvision
    navrig2 said:

You were quite specific:

"off the bike"
    "suitable for asthmatics"

If you are happy about asking an bunch of unknown individuals with unknown experience and unknown qualifications for quite specific advice about your non-cycling related health then go for it,

I wouldn't be.

My analogy is quite apt.

Haha, whatever.

Given the link with asthma and cycling it is a very relevant question. Plus, the reason I mentioned asthma was purely because medical grade masks are a no no for anyone with asthma.

Anyway, I appreciate those who have taken the time and effort to offer recommendations.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    daniel_b said:

@daniel_b They come through yet? Seem any good? Comfort OK?
  • navrig2
    fenix said:

But its not for cyclists it just so happens the OP asked a medical related question on a cycling forum for some obscure reason.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    For a second there, I thought someone might have added something useful.
  • redvision
    edited June 2020
    navrig2 said:

fenix said:

But its not for cyclists it just so happens the OP asked a medical related question on a cycling forum for some obscure reason.
    Jesus here we go again. You really are hung up on this aren't you nav? Some would say get a life but anyway I relent, so....
    does anyone have any suggestions for a piece of fabric in the shape of a mask, which hooks around the ears, that is available to buy online, which CYCLISTS can wear when stopping at a shop?

Satisfied Nav?

daniel_b said:

I ordered a couple but apparently they are unavailable and on back order.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2020

daniel_b said:

Sorry didn't see this - delay in them coming, but they shipped this morning from Spain, due to arrive maybe Saturday if not Monday, but will update on the quality and fit etc for sure.

Oh I ordered from Bikeinn by the way - they even attach a picture of your parcel to the order, pretty slick.
    I only ordered from them as I was ordering a couple of other items, and they have a good system where if your order has not shipped you can add other items to the same order - if there's a delay you have to wait for the whole lot to ship, but didn't have an issue with that - the masks were the cause of the delay.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    :D
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2020
    Still no tracking on my parcel :-(

@Redvision95 - where did you order from and are they on their way?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    This is why I did early research, to get in before the shortages.
    My conclusion was that they weren't worth the bother.
    Bit of a pain if they turn out to be a legal requirement.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • redvision
    daniel_b said:

Still no tracking on my parcel :-(

@Redvision95 - where did you order from and are they on their way?

Placed my order with Ale Uk outlet, based in Bristol.

Starting to think there could be a long wait for these so may end up cancelling the order tbh.

Ringing them tomorrow so will see.
  • yellowv2
    Same here.